Eli Manning Cleared to Play this Week

marooncat

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were all prepared to spend a ton of money to travel to New Jersey to watch Jared start his first NFL game. One simple phone call made our decision that much easier. It's pretty funny that ESPN knew that Jared was going to start before Jared himself. All travel plans are pending until Wed. I'm sure gamer and sticky will know before anybody else outside the organization and will be more that happy to share it with you guys when the time is right.

I'm not saying I get the news faster than anyone else here, I'm just saying I know where to get it. :D

I hope Lorenzen gets the start and makes the most of his opportunity.

I'm sorry for all you Jared fans...but for the Giants sake I hope Eli Manning gets the start. If Eli's arm is bad and it will only damage it more to play...then I hope Lorenzen is ready. I also hope that if Lorenzen has to start, that he makes the most of it and earns himself a job somewhere for the future.

Lost in this day-to-day vs. week-to-week vs. month-to-month triangle match is one FACT:

Eli Manning is one tough SonOfAnArchie.

The kid suffered a sprained/separated/bruised/turf-burned shoulder, got up, went to the sideline, had about three seconds to decide whether or not to go back in the game and said, "Screw it, I'm in." Then, he went out and conducted another drive before calling it a night.

Wait, let me rephrase: He went out, completed all four of his pass attempts for 20 yards and a touchdown, and then called it a night.

When he got hit on the extra point attempt, I thought to myself, "Why is it that in games like this when everybody is getting hurt, Manning gets whacked but keeps getting up?" I could recall countless times where he got crushed and I thought to myself, "He's out for a couple weeks." But he gets up, adjusts his helmet and chinstrap and waits for the play call from the sideline.

And don't forget the time when Julius Peppers slapped his arm as he was throwing during a 2005 preseason game. All he did after that was come back and throw a 41-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on his next attempt. Diagnosis the following day: Sprained elbow, out for the rest of the preseason.

It's a similar situation here, though this is the regular season and because of that, Manning will be back soon. In fact, I was speaking with someone today who is aware of the latest injury info and the person said Manning is "far more likely to play on Sunday than miss a month. It'll basically depend on how he feels and how he can throw it (in practice). He could play Sunday or he could not, but he should at least be back by the Redskins game."

Sounds like Manning has gotten the news from doctors -- and perhaps renowned orthopedist James Andrews -- that he's not risking further injury by playing. And that would mean it's simply a matter of how much pain he can endure. If that's the case, I'm betting on Manning. Like I said, he's shown us before he can handle pain.

LINK

A second opinion on Eli Manning's injured right shoulder was the same as the first opinion: It's a sprained A-C joint and if he can tolerate the pain, he can play.

The Giants sent Manning's MRI to Dr. James Andrews -- a noted orthopedic surgeon who operates out of Birmingham, Alabama -- and he informed them today that he agreed with their initial diagnosis. He saw no structural damage in Manning’s shoulder, and saw no reason to think he could damage it by playing this week.

So now it’s up to Manning. If the pain in his shoulder decreases, or if he can tolerate it, he can play against the Green Bay Packers in the Giants’ home opener. If not, he’ll sit out and Jared Lorenzen will get the call.

The Giants are also convinced that even if Manning can’t play this week, that he will definitely be ready to go in two weeks when they play the Redskins in Washington on Sept. 23.

LINK

A. Opposing media-types are going to have a field day with Mort if "Eli The Lesser" is able to play on Sunday.

B. You know what Archie says every time he watches Eli play? Thank God we had Peyton.

I don't think B was very accurate on Sunday. Eli played lights out. :D Could be a sign of things to come all season!

Going to be tough to keep that up with a bum wing. Regardless of what the Dr's say, Eli hurts and that's all that matters. If there wasn't pain there wouldn't be an issue...

Honestly, it would be nice to see Jared get a shot and show what he can do when it matters. I know he's not going to win the job but I think he can play for someone in this league.

Going to be tough to keep that up with a bum wing. Regardless of what the Dr's say, Eli hurts and that's all that matters. If there wasn't pain there wouldn't be an issue...

Honestly, it would be nice to see Jared get a shot and show what he can do when it matters. I know he's not going to win the job but I think he can play for someone in this league.

It would be nice for you to see that, but I'd rather keep Eli in honestly. Don't forget, even with the injured arm he went 4-4 and hit Plaxico right in stride for a 4th TD pass. I don't think it will hamper his throwing ability all that much.

It would be nice for you to see that, but I'd rather keep Eli in honestly. Don't forget, even with the injured arm he went 4-4 and hit Plaxico right in stride for a 4th TD pass. I don't think it will hamper his throwing ability all that much.

This team isn't going anywhere if the other two Mannings were the QB's. Too many injuries. Also, even Eli said that the INT was at a perfect time because he didn't have time to tighten up. That's the only reason he could go back out there. When the Cowboys put together a lengthy drive, it tightened up big time and he couldn't throw. I think 'the network' is really over exaggerating this and the NY fans are really under exaggerating it...

This team isn't going anywhere if the other two Mannings were the QB's. Too many injuries. Also, even Eli said that the INT was at a perfect time because he didn't have time to tighten up. That's the only reason he could go back out there. When the Cowboys put together a lengthy drive, it tightened up big time and he couldn't throw. I think 'the network' is really over exaggerating this and the NY fans are really under exaggerating it...

I disagree. In the NFC it's wide open right now. They only lost by 10 to a Dallas team that many predict to be a super bowl contender...

Eli said that if Dallas hadn't scored the final TD he would have went back in...no questions asked.

On a side note-Why in the heck would Mort continue to say that it's a separation/dislocation and ruin his credibility? I gave him until this morning but he's STILL reporting it. He must have someone that really thinks they know what's going on. Kind of has me wondering...

He might have someone saying something to him, but the Giants just got him cleared through the team doctor AND a second opinion from a doctor in Alabama. Why would a Doctor in 'Bama make something up?