Eli Manning Cleared to Play this Week

marooncat

OK, here is the official word from the Giants on the injuries you're all worried about:

QB Eli Manning: Day to day with a contusion to the right A-C joint.

DE Osi Umenyiora: Day to day with an irritation to the lateral meniscus in his left knee. He will be reevaluated later in the week.

RB Brandon Jacobs: Week to week with a sprained MCL in his right knee.

If you've been reading this blog all day, you already know the real story. Manning has a sprained right shoulder and his status for Sunday will depend on how he feels this week. He may try to practice on Wednesday.

"They really put it in my hands," he said. "It's a matter of when you feel good. It all depends on how I feel."

The Giants expect Jacobs to miss about 3-5 weeks with that sprain. The players seem to think Derrick Ward will take over as the feature back in the meantime, but that remains to be seen.

Umenyiora, who apparently does not have a torn MCL as I previously reported, will be out at least one month.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELI MANNING SPEAKS:

Manning: It’s sore right now, that’s about all there is to it. The day after you get hit on it, it’s just going to be a little sore and a little tight, but overall I’m not in pain or am not hurting in any way. So it is just a matter of when I can throw the ball I’ll be out there throwing it.

Q: There is a report out there that says you have a separated shoulder. Is there any truth to that at all?

A: No. I don’t know – whatever the doctor says – it’s the AC joint and I don’t know the definition of what all of that means. I’m not in pain – it’s just a bruised shoulder.

Q: Are you confident that you will be able to play?

A: It’s hard to say. I haven’t picked up the ball. I haven’t tried to throw it. I know the fact that I threw with it in the game, it gives me confidence that I can get out there and throw it if I need to. It’s a matter of being out there and having to make a throw – I can do that. I threw the touchdown to Plaxico. It wasn’t a lob, I got something on it, put it in a good spot, was accurate with it. So that makes me feel positive about my status this week.

Q: Do you envision throwing the ball ……………..?

A: I know how I threw it in the game afterwards and I figure it will feel pretty similar to that. On the sideline I threw it a few times. The first couple were just kind of lobs – just seeing how it was going to feel. The interception couldn’t have come at a worse time – right after the injury; so quickly. I just said, “All right, I’m going to talk to Lorenzen.” He was trying to see what was the deal. “I’m going to make one throw and I’ll put something on it. If I can make it, or if it comes out and doesn’t kill, I’m going to go out there. And so I threw it and threw it hard. It came out a spiral. And I said, “All right, I’m going back in.” And it will probably feel pretty similar to how it felt on the sideline.

Q: Where in the shoulder is the bruise?

A: At the top of the shoulder. Not too far away from the trap, I guess.

Q: Have they given you a worst-case scenario – not this week; maybe next week?

A: No scenario. They have really put it in my hands, really. The doc says it’s just a matter of --- every feel can be different. It’s just a matter of when you feel good and when you feel that you can throw the ball with a little strength. And you don’t feel like it is hurting when you are doing it.

Q: If you were able to throw it after you got injured last night, is there any reason in your mind that you couldn’t throw it this coming Sunday?

A: Well, I don’t think so. Again, sometimes right there you have the adrenalin going and it is fresh. Once you down on your game you are not thinking about your shoulder, you are thinking about what the defense is doing. What are my reads? You are out there competing. I feel confident that I’ll be back soon and be throwing it.

Q: Could you have thrown it downfield?

A: Yeah, I think so. I don’t know how far I could have thrown it but I threw about a 20-25 yard glance route and put it right where I wanted it. So I feel I got some juice on it. But I feel like I can make all of the throws. And that is part of when I’m ready to be out there I don’t want to be limited to only throwing 20 yards. That’s not going to be help. ….. make all of my throw that I need to make.

It's not as bad as ESPN says. I hate BSPN.

LINK

TOM COUGHLIN:

Q: Is there any truth to the report that Eli Manning will be out for a month?

A: No. I don’t know where that report comes from. I don’t know where supposedly the information was found. Mid-afternoon, I will say, this afternoon we got the report from our doctors that after having done the MRI and done all the testing. We are just going to have to see how it is. Whether he can practice and play on a daily basis. When he will be able to do the things he needs to be able to do. Quite frankly, if it is not possible this week then it will be another week. It is Monday, he has tomorrow. Literally he has Wednesday even if he doesn’t work Wednesday of full treatments. He will be in here two or three times tomorrow, he spends most of the day in here anyway, so we will continue to see what kind of progress can be made in a short amount of time with regard to his throwing motion.

Q: Who would go if he can’t?

A: Right now it would be (Jared) Lorenzen, but I’m not ruling anything out. Nothing in, nothing out.

Eli's not out a month. He is day to day, he is sore and he does plan on starting Sunday. Doesn't mean he will or won't. Eli and Jared will prepare together this week just in case. Should know more Wednesday or definitely Thursday...

Mort's wrong...radio guys are wrong...

:thumb: :thumb:

Exactly what Coughlin and Eli said.