Boone County 42 Mason County 20

mhighfield

Really don't like the idea of a girl doing kickoffs for Mason County. Field goals are one thing, but kickoffs could be a serious injury waiting to happen. You mean to tell me Mason County can't find a boy to squib kick. Publicity is all well and fine for field goal kicking, but come on.

From my understanding, at the beginning of the season, 'no', they couldn't find a boy to squib kick. Secondly, I'm sure all involved realize that the kicker could get hurt at some point and time in a ballgame, but it is obvious the parents are willing to take that risk (as well as the girls).

And if you know Coach Buchanan at all, he did not 'recruit' these girls to play and furthermore, he absolutely wouldn't have done that just to get a little publicity. So... "come on"!;)

From my understanding, at the beginning of the season, 'no', they couldn't find a boy to squib kick. Secondly, I'm sure all involved realize that the kicker could get hurt at some point and time in a ballgame, but it is obvious the parents are willing to take that risk (as well as the girls).

And if you know Coach Buchanan at all, he did not 'recruit' these girls to play and furthermore, he absolutely wouldn't have done that just to get a little publicity. So... "come on"!;)

This is completely off topic, so won't say no more. Like I stated before am all for a girl kicking extra points if she is in fact the best for the position, but just hope for all involved that even an accidental hit of some sort after a kick off that could result in injury doesn't occur. Girls and parents aren't the ones making the final decisions on taking risks anyway.

Alright, all that aside how did the kicker do? How far did she kick on kickoffs and any field goal or PAT's?

BTW - I wish Corey would show my Dixie kids how to condition like he did this summer.:lol:

She squibed kicked all night and made 2 of 3 PAT.

I don't blame Boone for keeping their #1's in with 5 min to go. I ask why mason put their #2's in with 5 min to go, and only down 28 to 20 if that was the case?

Had to because our 1's were flat out exhausted. That's what usually happens when you play 14 players versus about 35. I'll give you the 7 with 4 minutes left to get to 35 but when you see Mason go to all JV why the 1's versus Mason JV? It is just a question????:confused:

I don't get the talka bout "you scored against our JV/2s."

Its not particular to MC but its come up quite a bit in this thread.

Does it matter?

In addition, no coach is under any moral obligation to put in his 2s simply because the other team does. Maybe the other team's 2s are better. Early in the season, reps are key. If MC chooses not to take them all, fine. Don't then say Boone is required to rest their starters.

If 35 vs 14 is a problem, don't schedule the big boys.

Does it matter?

In addition, no coach is under any moral obligation to put in his 2s simply because the other team does. Maybe the other team's 2s are better. Early in the season, reps are key. If MC chooses not to take them all, fine. Don't then say Boone is required to rest their starters.

I never said they were required to do anything. Ask anyone who has ever coached football the reality in the coaching world is that there are two kind of coaches........ those that stick the knife in, and those that stick the knife in and turn it. In general coaches who have control of the game and are about to win respond to the other team putting in there JV at the end of the game in one of two ways. Most of the time they respond by acknowledging their win and put their JV in as well. OR they can respond by getting those really helpful needed quality reps you are talking about...... their 1's versus JV or freshman. No problem, Mason knew the game was over and our 1's left it on the field that is why we put in our JV.:thumb:

Does it matter?

I have no problem with Boone leaving their starters in and feeding the ball to their stud. It's up to your defense to stop the opponent's offense and Mason County couldn't do so in the second half. But to say it wasn't stat padding is ignoring reality.

Coach B knew what he was getting when he scheduled Boone - a yeardstick by which to measure his team. As was stated earlier, the Royals played inspired football for a half, then came out flat/didn't get the job done/ran out of gas in the second half. Hopefully some lessons were learned.

As for scheduling the big boys, maybe NewCath will be an opponent in the near future.:D

I have no problem with Boone leaving their starters in and feeding the ball to their stud. It's up to your defense to stop the opponent's offense and Mason County couldn't do so in the second half. But to say it wasn't stat padding is ignoring reality.

Coach B knew what he was getting when he scheduled Boone - a yeardstick by which to measure his team. As was stated earlier, the Royals played inspired football for a half, then came out flat/didn't get the job done/ran out of gas in the second half. Hopefully some lessons were learned.

As for scheduling the big boys, maybe NewCath will be an opponent in the near future.:D

So, mcpapa, based on Boone county game how do you think Mason will fare in the 3A arena? I mean Central has the schedule from Hades(St.X,Male,Manual) but if you look at top 5, Russell, Belfry, and Paducah Tilman don't play a ranked 6A. So how do you think Mason stacks up versus the top 5 and do you think these games help?:confused:

So, mcpapa, based on Boone county game how do you think Mason will fare in the 3A arena? I mean Central has the schedule from Hades(St.X,Male,Manual) but if you look at top 5, Russell, Belfry, and Paducah Tilman don't play a ranked 6A. So how do you think Mason stacks up versus the top 5 and do you think these games help?:confused:

Stork:

We will eventually find out about these teams - some sooner, some later.

Early on, Belfry looks to be the class of 3A; and they're on our side of the Commonwealth (which looks to be stacked, by the way). They thumped Corbin 21-0 in Game 1 - a Corbin team that came back and beat a pretty good Dunbar team. I think that Belfry will probably go undefeated up to the Johnson Central game on November 2.

Central starts out with Manual and Male, and 3 of their final 4 games are with Johnson Central, St.X and Highlands. The schedule from Hades - for a 3A team, anyway, is correct. The question is - does finishing with a brutal stretch prepare you for the playoffs or beat you up? If they get blasted by several of these teams, will Central lose confidence? If they play with them, do they gain confidence?

BTW, this is the question for Mason County right now. What do they take from the loss against Boone County - that they played a half of near-perfect football, or that they got steamrolled in the second half?

We may know more about Breathitt County this Friday when they play Boyd County. Tilghman gets tested late this month against Mayfield, but their schedule looks on paper to be relatively soft. Sheldon Clark will find out where they stand in October when they play Bell County and Belfry back-to-back.

I'll save Russell for last. On paper, Mason plays Russell in Round 2 of the playoffs. That's assuming that there are no hiccups (Mason at East Carter worries me) along the way. Russell should be 8-0 when they come to Mason County on October 19; while Mason will have played Boone County and Campbell County. Russell generally schedules their open date on the last Friday of the year, so they will not have had a break. Home field for at least the first 2 rounds of the playoffs may be determined by Russell at Mason County.

How does Mason stack up against the top tier of 3A teams? Reasonably well. If you had asked me after the first half against Boone County, I'd say real well. 24 minutes of football later, not so much. Are the Royals a top 5 or 6 team? I'll say top 10 now.

To answer your question about scheduling - I like Mason County's schedule this year a lot. I hope the Royals play well at East, and Fleming County could be a let-down game this year. I think Playing Boone and Campbell EARLY is a positive from a scheduling standpoint. I like having an open date and Bourbon County (no disrespect to Bourbon County, but they have struggled mightily the past few years) the 2 weeks before the Russell game.

Question for you, Stork - do you think the Royals match up better against grind-it-out teams like Russell, defensive powerhouses like Corbin, or offensive-minded teams like Central?

How about Mcpapa with a shot at my CCH boys! Very nice, my friend. Very nice.

This would be the ONLY year that (I can't speak for Coach B) I would want any part at all of CCH. To those that are playing CovCath this year - better get your licks in now.