Boone County 42 Mason County 20

mhighfield

Congrats to the 6a Rebels,Mason lead 20-7 at the half and looked in control,But Boone just blasted the Royals in the 2nd half to the tune of 35-0 to grab the win.I thought Mason ran out of gas some up against the much bigger rebel team as they was much deeper.Over all i was pleased cause we saw what the Royals was capable of in that 1st half .On to Lewis County next week .

This was the tale of two halves. Royals played the best game of football I have ever seen at Mason in the first half. Shut down #4 and #22 for the half. The Offense had long sustained drives. Then the Boone county tsunami came in the third quarter. Our starting 11 ran out of gas. Hats off to Boone county they are a legit 6A contender and Farris is for real. I do need to comment that the last two scores by Boone county were with 5 minutes left their #1's versus our #2's. (In my 3A eyes that makes it 28 to 20.) I wasn't sure why Boone county left #1's in all the way to the last minute. I guess 28 to 20 doesn't sound as good as 42 to 20. If the Royals keep playing like that first half watch out 3A they are going to make some noise!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Looks like the Royals ran outta gas in the second half. Classic flaw with a small school where most guys play both sides of the ball. Only game two though, this will only make the Royals stronger come district!! No better way to recover than a trip to Vanceburg to see the Lions.

This was the tale of two halves. Royals played the best game of football I have ever seen at Mason in the first half. Shut down #4 and #22 for the half. The Offense had long sustained drives. Then the Boone county tsunami came in the third quarter. Our starting 11 ran out of gas. Hats off to Boone county they are a legit 6A contender and Farris is for real. I do need to comment that the last two scores by Boone county were with 5 minutes left their #1's versus our #2's. (In my 3A eyes that makes it 28 to 20.) I wasn't sure why Boone county left #1's in all the way to the last minute. I guess 28 to 20 doesn't sound as good as 42 to 20. If the Royals keep playing like that first half watch out 3A they are going to make some noise!!!!!!!! :thumb:

My guess would be that it is early in the season and they have a very big game with Campbell County next week. So they had to get the 1st guys some more reps. Had nothing to do with the score.

I don't blame Boone for keeping their #1's in with 5 min to go. I ask why mason put their #2's in with 5 min to go, and only down 28 to 20 if that was the case?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

The best of times were the first 24 minutes, where the Royals played almost flawlessly. Starting the game with a huge gainer and punching it in to take the early lead, responding with a TD after Boone cut the score to 13-7, Cox finding several receivers underneath to keep drives going.

The worst of times were the first seven minutes of the third quarter; during which the Rebels scored three TDs with ease. I'd sure like to have the home version of Boone's halftime speech.

It's been said that the Royals wore down, and certainly that has to be something of a factor with so many guys playing both ways. However, the guys shouldn't be tired coming out of halftime. It was a little disappointing to see how the Royals responded to being up at the half against a superior (on paper, anyway) opponent. The back-breaker was the circus catch that got Boone down to the 5 yard line on either the second or third TD drive of the 3rd quarter. Royals couldn't recover from that; and there were a couple of late, meaningless scores that were stat-padders for #4 (who by the way is the real deal - not blazing speed but very hard to get a clean shot on and bring down).

Congrats to the Rebels on a nice comeback. Royals need to put two solid halves together; once they can do so they will be a solid 3A team this year.

Royals couldn't recover from that; and there were a couple of late, meaningless scores that were stat-padders for #4 (who by the way is the real deal - not blazing speed but very hard to get a clean shot on and bring down).

Congrats to the Rebels on a nice comeback. Royals need to put two solid halves together; once they can do so they will be a solid 3A team this year.

Will somebody please remind me of when the last time a 28-20 lead was a legitimate lead to say that other team was padding stats, and the #1's shouldn't have been out there? Doesn't make much sense to me. That's a touchdown and a 2pt conversion. No reason to give up on Mason counties side and definitly no reason to call the charge off from Boone's side.

What were Farris's final stats?

Will somebody please remind me of when the last time a 28-20 lead was a legitimate lead to say that other team was padding stats, and the #1's shouldn't have been out there? Doesn't make much sense to me. That's a touchdown and a 2pt conversion. No reason to give up on Mason counties side and definitly no reason to call the charge off from Boone's side.

I believe Farris ran for 314 yards. Obviously, summer baseball hurt him.

According to the Maysville paper, 282 yards and 5 TDs. Final TD was scored with about 2:03 to play against Mason's #2s, pushing the lead from 15 to 21.

From the Maysville Ledger-Independent:

Farris' 222-yard performance leads Boone County to 42-20 win over Royals

After being dominated by Mason County for much of the first half which ended with the Royals holding a surprising 20-7 lead, the Boone County Rebels, led by senior running back Cory Farris, came to life in the second half and scored 35 unanswered points en route to a 42-20 victory.

Farris scored four touchdowns after the break and racked up 222 yards as the Royals' failed to keep the momentum which they held for most of the first 24 minutes of the game. He finished with a total of 282 yards and five touchdowns. Boone County put together 346 total yards of total offensive in the decisive half after managing only 125 in the first half as Mason County sprinted out to the early lead.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

The best of times were the first 24 minutes, where the Royals played almost flawlessly. Starting the game with a huge gainer and punching it in to take the early lead, responding with a TD after Boone cut the score to 13-7, Cox finding several receivers underneath to keep drives going.

The worst of times were the first seven minutes of the third quarter; during which the Rebels scored three TDs with ease. I'd sure like to have the home version of Boone's halftime speech.

It's been said that the Royals wore down, and certainly that has to be something of a factor with so many guys playing both ways. However, the guys shouldn't be tired coming out of halftime. It was a little disappointing to see how the Royals responded to being up at the half against a superior (on paper, anyway) opponent. The back-breaker was the circus catch that got Boone down to the 5 yard line on either the second or third TD drive of the 3rd quarter. Royals couldn't recover from that; and there were a couple of late, meaningless scores that were stat-padders for #4 (who by the way is the real deal - not blazing speed but very hard to get a clean shot on and bring down).

Very impressed with Cox and the Pollitt kid(where did he come from). The Campbell County and Russell games should really be good. After learning and improving from this game the Royals could very well win the above mentioned games.

I believe Farris ran for 314 yards. Obviously, summer baseball hurt him.

It seems like it took a while for him to get the rust off and get into football shape. :lol: The kid is a player.

Now I'm curious what his real stats were. The local news stations reported over 300 yards. According to Maysville papers, he had 282 and 222. :confused:

Really don't like the idea of a girl doing kickoffs for Mason County. Field goals are one thing, but kickoffs could be a serious injury waiting to happen. You mean to tell me Mason County can't find a boy to squib kick. Publicity is all well and fine for field goal kicking, but come on.