Kickers This Year

Hearsay

Is it just me or does it seem as if there are a large number of excellent kickers/punters in Kentucky this year? Just off the top of my head, there is the Merrick boy from Bell County that kicks them out of the stadium, the Stephens boy from Lafayette who had 3 40+ yarders in Week 1, and the McNutt boy from Mayfield who has a tremendous leg. Wasn't long ago when a 40 yard field goal was considered tremendous, and I used to routinely see kickers who can't make 30-35 yards with consistency. What's in the bluegrass water this year, and who are some of the state's other top legs?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does it seem as if there are a large number of excellent kickers/punters in Kentucky this year? Just off the top of my head, there is the Merrick boy from Bell County that kicks them out of the stadium, the Stephens boy from Lafayette who had 3 40+ yarders in Week 1, and the McNutt boy from Mayfield who has a tremendous leg. Wasn't long ago when a 40 yard field goal was considered tremendous, and I used to routinely see kickers who can't make 30-35 yards with consistency. What's in the bluegrass water this year, and who are some of the state's other top legs?

I think soccer helps out BIG TIME!!

I think over the past 10 years or so, HS Coaches have only now started realizing the benefits of having a great kicking game. Before, I believe it was more so just a dismissed aspect of the game that no coach ever wanted to devote the time to and just work on it a minimum. Traditionally speaking, in Western Kentucky, Mayfield and Murray always come to mind as schools that have produced wonderful kickers.

I think over the past 10 years or so, HS Coaches have only now started realizing the benefits of having a great kicking game. Before, I believe it was more so just a dismissed aspect of the game that no coach ever wanted to devote the time to and just work on it a minimum. Traditionally speaking, in Western Kentucky, Mayfield and Murray always come to mind as schools that have produced wonderful kickers.

Coach Hilton has attempted five field goals with Bell's kicker in the first two games! That nearly equals the totals for the past two years (6). Second winningest coach, but changing with the times to give Bell the best chance at a run at the state title! Merrick also has been allowed to kick away on kickoffs. He hooked the first kick of season out of bounds near goal line. Every kick since has landed near back of endzone or beyond. Touchback ratio is 12-13. Exciting football this year in Bobcat country.

A side note: Bell's kicker's little brother is kicking for Pineville. My understanding from another thread is that he went there for the band. Coach Elam recruited him out of band last spring. Al Merrick had two field goals Friday night in victory over Berea. He is 7-7 on PAT's as well, I believe. Pineville is 2-0!! Someone said that he broke Pineville record for longest field goal...don't know how long, but forty something, I think.

I think at smaller schools like Mayfield it is hard for soccer and football to coexist. However in the case of kickers it has worked out very well! Mayfield's Tommy McNutt is a doozy and he is also the goalkeeper on the soccer team.

Mayfield has done a good job tapping into the soccer team. Evan Granier, Tommy McNutt and McNutt a Sr is grooming Marc Wynstra a Fr to replace him who is also going to be a very good one in a few years!

NCC and Dixie both have great kickers also. Not just place kicking and kickoffs, but punting the ball as well. Sorry I don't have names.

It's M. Jett from Dixie . And I'll put him up against anyone in the state ! He worked very hard in the OFF season and it shows Big Time . Against B-Wood Jett hit a 46 yd FG and had 3 great punts ! Good hang time and all 3 I think got 50 to 60 plus yds ! In the SK game he missed a 42 yd , but I think that was a low snap and hold . For the year Jett has 2 FG's ( 46 , 38 , ) 5 for 5 on X-pts and a great average on punts . Also most of his Kick-offs have made the end zone !:thumb:

Belfry has a good kicker in Glenn Earnest who is a old fashion straight on lineman kicker. He is 1-2 in field goals this year, with the one bein long enough but just wide.

I know he was 3-3 in PAT against Corbin and I think missed one against Lawrence. His first kickoff against Corbin was a touchback.