Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kickers This Year

Featured Replies

I would not discount Kaufman from Ryle; ranked #2 in the state according to prokicker...probably would have been ranked in the top ten nationally too if his KOs were as far then as they are now. Merrick is 3rd. Can't find Bathiany.

 

You have to understand how these rankings work. Some kickers go in as kicker....others as punters....then there is a group for kicker/punter. The kickers group always will be a little higher for those who kick only. If you look at the other Kentucky ratings you will find Bell's kicker is #2 kicker/punter and #1 punter, and #1 kickoff specialist. According to his dad, his kickoffs were not as good this year as they were last year at Ray Guy(

camp was early in June and baseball was just ending)...and certainly nowhere near what they are now. Most are 68-75 yds. in air during games. Kentucky kickers faired well. I believe he said that Merrick and Kaufman were head to head at Bowling Green camp. If you check the national JUNIOR rankings this year...Merrick faired well....ranked #2 in nation for kicker/punter; 4th punter; #2 kickoff/punter specialist; and #8 in pure kicker catagory. Camps are good and prepare for the season...and make good blog material....but bottom line is production on the field. Bell's kicker has had three last second kicks in past two seasons and is 3-3.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fort Campbell has a really good kicker, Alan Johnson. This is his first year playing football. He is a senior that has played soccer all of the other three years of high school. He also is pretty solid at receiver. What makes this one great is being able to preforme under pressure. He kicked the game winning field goal aginst Paduca Tilghman in the last 24 seconds of the game. If I am not mistaken it was about a 35 yarder. And yes, soccer plays a great role in kickers.

Any offers to kickers yet this year, so far I have not heard any, but could be wrong.

I agree that in recent years there seams to be an elevated level of talent in the kicking game in Ky HS football, and its a lot of fun to see this dimension of the game being more instrumental in determining outcomes. I believe it will be a while before Shane Pophams records of 2006 are broken. He had a major hand, er foot, in CovCath's drive to the state title.

Drew Bathiany rules this year in N Kentucky and most likely in the state! Great kid with a powerful leg to boot!

 

Drew's understudy, Alex Etien sp currently a super-soph soccer player, will likely do quite well handling the kicking duties his Jr & Sr years.

Exactly right. Bell County's kicker is in his third year as starter (Junior) and is just now beginning to get the opportunities to kick. He has had the same number of attempts so far in four games that he had in two years total going in! Bathiany and others have much easier time getting noticed than a kid from Southeastern Kentucky in the Mountains. Hopefully, Bell County will get to Louisville this year, defeating Lexington Catholic along the way and he and the Bobcats will be able to showcase their "special team." Merrick has excelled in camps last summer and defeated all competition in all three of the camps attended.

 

 

I think you're going to need more than just a kicker to defeat Lexington Catholic 'along the way'. By the way TomLandry, I'm sure that you might acknowledge that Papa Bear Halas meant more to the NFL than Tom did! (Of course Tom made it to the Super Bowl several more times than George did!)

I think you're going to need more than just a kicker to defeat Lexington Catholic 'along the way'. By the way TomLandry, I'm sure that you might acknowledge that Papa Bear Halas meant more to the NFL than Tom did! (Of course Tom made it to the Super Bowl several more times than George did!)

Two of the best!

Wyat Gray, sophomore from St. X, got his first start on the varsity last night. Did a very good job. Has a very bright future.

Bathiany and Mitchell Jett are the two best that I have seen this season.

#9 Jake Stephens at Lafayette is kicker with a high powered leg. I have seen him kick a field goal from 55 yards with room to spare. Very strong leg and also accurate.

Jason Nicholson has two 48 yarders for Dunbar this year. He is an even better Punter than place kicker.

Nicholson is averaging 47 yards per punt. :thumb:

Nicholson is averaging 47 yards per punt. :thumb:

 

 

I would say him or the Butler punter would be the best in the state this year at punting.

Wyat Gray, sophomore from St. X, got his first start on the varsity last night. Did a very good job. Has a very bright future.

 

 

So I take it Gray is now punting? If so smart move by X. Let Bossher (sp) work on kicking and Gray on punting. Bossher I think is way better kicker than a punter. It's hard to do all 3 very very well.

LCA kicker is the best kicker in the state in my opinion. I saw him play against Lloyd and on the kickoff the ball bounced off the goal post. And by the way, he was kicking into the wind. Definite D1 scholarship (full ride) I would think.

Edited for content of quote.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.