Serious Dilemma!

I just found out yesterday at my church that they are going to have a gospel meeting on the weekend of the Paducah-Mayfield game. It starts at 7 PM each night starting on Friday night. I want to support the meeting by attending but I really don't want to miss this game, its one of the biggest rivalries in KY. This would be like missing the St. X-Trinity game if you were a fan of one of these teams. What would you do?

I just found out yesterday at my church that they are going to have a gospel meeting on the weekend of the Paducah-Mayfield game. It starts at 7 PM each night starting on Friday night. I want to support the meeting by attending but I really don't want to miss this game, its one of the biggest rivalries in KY. This would be like missing the St. X-Trinity game if you were a fan of one of these teams. What would you do?

Do you want to win? Then Go to the Gospel Meeting.

If you want to take your chances then go to the game. :D

Go to which ever you feel led to go to. If it is at 7 "each night" then go the other nights. Whoever schedules a Revival during High School Football season is asking for low support. ;)

This used to be a problem for our church here in Lancaster. A few years back the elders of our congregation just began scheduling gospel meetings that start on Sunday and run through Thursday. Nothing on Friday or Saturday, which allows folks to travel for football, but a good series of services during the week. Its much better.

If you have children, the biggest question is what message do I want to model for my children?

Before our church changed their revivial scheduling, my dad and I would ocassionally go to revival at 7:00 and then to the high school game afterwards. We would usually wait until halftime, if it wasn't already, so we got in for free!

Go to which ever you feel led to go to. If it is at 7 "each night" then go the other nights. Whoever schedules a Revival during High School Football season is asking for low support. ;)

Well, I could just miss the first half, cause the game starts at 7:30 and halftime should be over somewhere around 8:30 I would think. I am thinking I may go that route, but you're right, we have a few players that attend our church, band members, cheerleaders as well. I think if the players didn't go to this game, they could very well have to sit out the rest of the season. I just think it was a bad decision on our elders part to decide to have this meeting at night on a weekend. I believe the reason was that this was the only time we could get the guy that is coming.

This takes me back to the eighth grade. There was a big church service scheduled for a Sunday afternoon. All of the altar boys (about 2/3 of the 6th, 7th and 8th grade boys) were asked to participate. We had a football game scheduled for the same time. A nun asked me what I was planning to do. I told her I didn't see how the football players could miss the game (playoff implications). She asked me if I thought God would let us win if we didn't come to the service. We didn't have to find out. The coach got the game time moved to early in the afternoon so we could do both. Thanks for the memory. I hadn't thought of that in a LONG time.

This takes me back to the eighth grade. There was a big church service scheduled for a Sunday afternoon. All of the altar boys (about 2/3 of the 6th, 7th and 8th grade boys) were asked to participate. We had a football game scheduled for the same time. A nun asked me what I was planning to do. I told her I didn't see how the football players could miss the game (playoff implications). She asked me if I thought God would let us win if we didn't come to the service. We didn't have to find out. The coach got the game time moved to early in the afternoon so we could do both. Thanks for the memory. I hadn't thought of that in a LONG time.

That would be nice, I guess thats one advantage of everybody being of the same faith and putting more importance on faith over athletics.

Well, I could just miss the first half, cause the game starts at 7:30 and halftime should be over somewhere around 8:30 I would think. I am thinking I may go that route, but you're right, we have a few players that attend our church, band members, cheerleaders as well. I think if the players didn't go to this game, they could very well have to sit out the rest of the season. I just think it was a bad decision on our elders part to decide to have this meeting at night on a weekend. I believe the reason was that this was the only time we could get the guy that is coming.

Not saying this is your case because I don't know but often times when such scheduling decisions are made it is by a group who have no vested interest in anything else. In other words they don't have a child in the band, on the team, cheerleading, etc so their schedule was free. As a church you have to take a look before scheduling to see if you are accidently excluding a good portion of those you want to attend.

Not saying this is your case because I don't know but often times when such scheduling decisions are made it is by a group who have no vested interest in anything else. In other words they don't have a child in the band, on the team, cheerleading, etc so their schedule was free. As a church you have to take a look before scheduling to see if you are accidently excluding a good portion of those you want to attend.

Yeah, I also think they may be trying to test us, hard to tell.

You can pray at the game! :D

(Sorry...football is important in the Catholic religion. :D)