Public/Private Not a problem in BBALL

It seems that basketball is 1 sport where this really isn't an issue at all statewide in general. LexCath is the only private school to win a state title this decade and there hasnt been 1 for a long time before that. Also this past Sweet 16 there was only 1 private school. That was June Buchanan. Really I would think most public bball coaches are probably for having the private schools playing against them in tournaments.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd take the wind out of your sails, LBBC. :D

I remember in the early 2000's or so and sharing an elevator with the coach at Christian County. They had just lost in the semis to LexCath or Sacred Heart. He was half-joking that at least they were the best public school in the state and that making the Saturday morning semis were becoming the public school championship.

I also remember sitting in the middle of the Sacred Heart fan section two years in a row and coming to the conclusion that with the SH fans I was exposed to in those two years, were some of the most arrogant fans I had ever been around.

I remember in the early 2000's or so and sharing an elevator with the coach at Christian County. They had just lost in the semis to LexCath or Sacred Heart. He was half-joking that at least they were the best public school in the state and that making the Saturday morning semis were becoming the public school championship.
Funny, considering the source of your story.

LMB,

We did a good job of covering "why" in this thread.

My bad I had just been thinking about it and if you are from Mason Co, Warren Central, Scott Co, Ballard, etc. you just aren't worried at all about private schools. The only private school that is usually tough to handle year in and yeaer out is LexCath. Its been a while since they have made it out of the region, I believe since Haney left. I think schools like St X and Trinity put everything into football and not that much into basketball. Especially in Louisville, which right now it would be hard to argue that it isn't a football town when it comes to high school.

• 4 weeks later...
My bad I had just been thinking about it and if you are from Mason Co, Warren Central, Scott Co, Ballard, etc. you just aren't worried at all about private schools. The only private school that is usually tough to handle year in and yeaer out is LexCath. Its been a while since they have made it out of the region, I believe since Haney left. I think schools like St X and Trinity put everything into football and not that much into basketball. Especially in Louisville, which right now it would be hard to argue that it isn't a football town when it comes to high school.

Scott Co. has been very good, but there are at least three Lex Cath stars in the past decade who would have been Cards and would have had a huge impact on the team...

Bryan Station may have won 4 or 5 state championships if their players had stayed in the public sector.

Lex. Christian is also starting to be a player in this debate. Scott Co's best 8th grader from last year is now at Lex. Christian as a Frosh.

UHA with new coach Randy McCoy will soon be back to state wide competition like they were in the late 80's (Sergio Luke and company) and into the 90's (Lamont Barnes, Isiah Victor). He'll get the most out of Hopson - and he's got all the right connections to add to the fold.

Cov Cath has done pretty well in the 9th consistantly... I even find myself rooting for them because I love their fans at the state tournament.

I agree that there is a bigger issue with the football side of the debate, but that's only natural. It takes a lot of $ to outfit a pee-wee football league with pads, helments, etc... You can work on the skill positions (QB, Reciever, etc) but to work on blocking, tackling, and other true fundamentals of football it costs some cash. Folks sending their kids to private schools have the cash to fund these types of programs.

It only takes a $20 basketball to go down to the city park and work on your basketball game and you can work on almost every aspect of the fundamentals within pickup games.

In rural areas, it is not feasible for the kids make it to the city park when they may live a 30-minute drive from the park.

You really think its that big of a problem to get two kids to drive and each pick up 3 or 4 of their buddies and meet at the high school to play a game of basketball?

You really think its that big of a problem to get two kids to drive and each pick up 3 or 4 of their buddies and meet at the high school to play a game of basketball?

Well since you have to be 17 before you can even have anyone in your car in the state of KY and most of the kids do not have access to insurance or a car... yes it is a problem. And if they are just starting to play at 17 then there really is an issue.

Also the 1 local gym is probably being used at the time.

Also they can not afford camps or AAU ball and maybe 30% of the parents do not work night shift.

Not trying to be smart but there are more roadblocks than you might think.

Well if we are talking MS kids when fundamentals are being developed, yep, it is hard to get two of those kids to drive.

If you are talking about HS age developing fundamentals at the city park, well their fundamentals should have been developed years ago.

When you talk about developing fundamentals, to me, that is the early ages of elementary and middle school.

For me at that age, we would play at my house. One kid would ride his bike 3-4 miles to my house. Two others would walk a mile. Another would ride his bike up a hill, (fun going back home cause it was a coast the whole way) for 2 miles. That was after yard and farm work was done.

No way parents, and I DON'T blame them, let their kids ride their bikes to other kids home as far as we did in today's world.