A Love Story, A Murder & A Moral Dilemna

Watusi

A love story, a murder and a moral dilemma.

You are the Judge and Jury

Answer the question at the end to give your verdict and find out something about yourself.

The Story

There is a river with a bridge over it, and a WIFE and her HUSBAND live in a house on one side. The WIFE has a LOVER who lives on the other side. The only way to get across the river is to walk across the bridge or ask the BOATMAN to take you.

The HUSBAND has to go on an overnight business trip in a faraway town.. The WIFE pleads with him to take her with him. She knows if he doesn't she'll be unfaithful to him. The HUSBAND absolutely refuses to take her because she will only be in the way of his important business. So the husband goes alone.

That night the WIFE goes over the bridge & stays with her LOVER. Dawn is almost up when the WIFE leaves because she must be back home before her HUSBAND returns. She starts across the bridge but sees an ASSASSIN waiting for her on the other side. She knows if she tries to cross, he will murder her. In terror, she runs up the side of the river and asks the BOATMAN to take her across the river, but he wants half-a-crown. She has no money, so he refuses to take her.

The WIFE runs back to the LOVER'S house & explains her predicament and asks him for the half-a-crown to pay the BOATMAN. The LOVER refuses, telling her it's her own fault for getting into this situation. As dawn comes up the WIFE is nearly out of her mind & decides to dash across the bridge. When she comes face to face with the ASSASSIN, he takes a large knife and stabs her until she is dead.

How to do this test.
Now give the names of the five characters in the order in which you think they were most responsible for the WIFE'S death. ie The WIFE, HUSBAND, LOVER, ASSASSIN, & BOATMAN in the order you think they are most guilty.

For Example
If you think the WIFE was most responsible, the ASSASSIN was 2nd most responsible, the LOVER was 3rd most responsible, the BOATMAN was 4th most responsible and the HUSBAND was least responsible, you answer would look like this...

WIFE, ASSASSIN, LOVER, BOATMAN, HUSBAND

After posting your answer, check the ANSWER KEY to see what it means.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts

Assassin - most responsible, he did the killing.

Wife - She put herself in this position.

Husband - his selfishness in leaving her behind

Lover - should not have had affair with married neighbor

Boatman - least responsible, just doing his job, cant work for free.

My thoughts

Husband - his selfishness in leaving her behind

Lover - should not have had affair with married neighbor

Assassin

Wife

Lover

Boatman

Husband

Watusi, interesting that you think the Lover, who got the woman across the river in the first place and was having an immoral affair with her, and didn't even have the decency to give her fare back home and told her it was her own fault, is less responsible than the husband, who was off working his butt off to put food on the table for his family...

Lover - knew that her situation could get her killed and did nothing to save her

Husband - he put work before family

HHSDad - stole answers from Watusi

I had a hard time deciding whether to put the wife or lover 2nd.

Watusi, interesting that you think the Lover, who got the woman across the river in the first place and was having an immoral affair with her, and didn't even have the decency to give her fare back home and told her it was her own fault, is less responsible than the husband, who was off working his butt off to put food on the table for his family...

I would probably put the Lover ahead of the Husband after giving it more thought. He knew her danger and turned a deaf ear to her pleading.

Lover - knew that her situation could get her killed and did nothing to save her

Husband - he put work before family

HHSDad - stole answers from Watusi

I had a hard time deciding whether to put the wife or lover 2nd.

Please explain, and I am really trying to see another point of view here...if your wife wants to go to work with you and you won't let her, you are putting work before family? I don't get it. If the wife insists on going with her husband to his work, and he won't let her, who is being selfish, the husband or the wife???

Please explain, and I am really trying to see another point of view here...if your wife wants to go to work with you and you won't let her, you are putting work before family? I don't get it. If the wife insists on going with her husband to his work, and he won't let her, who is being selfish, the husband or the wife???
I don't really blame the husband, but I do find him more culpable than the boatman. I'm assuming from the first post that the husband should have been able to see that there was something terribly wrong with his wife from her pleading and ignored it. I, in fact, have taken my wife on business trips, even when she wasn't pleading. :D

I don't really blame the husband, but I do find him more culpable than the boatman. I'm assuming from the first post that the husband should have been able to see that there was something terribly wrong with his wife from her pleading and ignored it. I, in fact, have taken my wife on business trips, even when she wasn't pleading. :D

OK I understand. I assumed since he was going to be gone less than 24 hours, that there wouldn't be anything other than business, so it wouldn't be any fun involved for her or him...and I assumed she told the boatman that a guy was on the bridge ready to kill her...but I can see where different people can have a different take on the same set of facts...:cool: