On AA Highway, too much speed is constant problem

98NCCalum

Campbell County residents know all too well the dangers of speeding on the AA Highway.

It's the top complaint received by the Campbell County Police Department, said Chief Keith Hill.

"It's a wide-open, well-paved, well-constructed road, and people consider it an interstate," he said.

Hill said Campbell County police have written more than 1,500 speeding warnings and tickets on the AA this year in the 13 miles they patrol.

In 2006, more than half the county police's 2,309 speeding warnings and tickets were issued on the AA.

"For us, to catch speeders on the AA is like catching fish in a barrel," Hill said. "...When you're writing 1,500 citations in six months - what does that tell you?"

About 80 percent of those drivers were going 70 mph or above in the 55 mph zone, he said, and about 80 percent of the speeders are not Campbell County residents. The AA Highway is a common shortcut for tractor-trailers and vacationers, as well as for local traffic.

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070726/NEWS0103/707260343

Two says ago, I said exactly what this Police Chief is saying, and I was told I was wrong.

I'll go with the experts on this one.

SPEED and disobeying traffic signals is the problem on this road, not the road.

I just believe that the road is setup for failure. It leaves too much room for human error.

So you have more insight into than someone who knows the facts of every accident that happens on it?

A 2002 study of the AA, done to determine how it would handle traffic flow, recommended widening three sections, according to Rob Hans, manager for planning with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6, which is responsible for the AA Highway in Campbell, Pendleton and Bracken counties.

The study called for the highway to be widened by one lane in each direction, to close several intersections with the side roads in each county and to create access roads to eliminate residential driveways that have direct access to the highway.

The study also looked at safety and recommended adding advance warning lights and intersection signage.

Minor improvements, such as rumble strips on the shoulder and center line and the intersection signage, have already been installed. But major construction work would cost millions and require legislative action.

A 2002 study of the AA, done to determine how it would handle traffic flow, recommended widening three sections, according to Rob Hans, manager for planning with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6, which is responsible for the AA Highway in Campbell, Pendleton and Bracken counties.

The study called for the highway to be widened by one lane in each direction, to close several intersections with the side roads in each county and to create access roads to eliminate residential driveways that have direct access to the highway.

The study also looked at safety and recommended adding advance warning lights and intersection signage.

Minor improvements, such as rumble strips on the shoulder and center line and the intersection signage, have already been installed. But major construction work would cost millions and require legislative action.

That says nothing about the majority of accidents being caused by people speeding which they almost all are.

I offered in the other thread that it is most likely a cause of both the design and the speed, but to simply say that speed doesn't matter it's a bad design is crazy.

People are speeding up to beat lights, or are speeding already and the speed is the common denomonator in all these accidents.

I challenge you to find me a report of an accident on that highway in Campbell County, where speed was not a factor at all.

I challenge you to find me a report of an accident on that highwayin Campbell County, where speed was not a factor at all.

In many of the accidents speed was not a factor. No one said that speed and carelessness were never factors. But there are going to be speeders and careless drivers on any road you travel. There has to be some missing element that's making this particular road so prone to accidents. That's what we were trying to say. But you want to just blame it all on bad driving, and that just isn't the case.

I challenge you to find me a report of an accident on that highway in Campbell County, where speed was not a factor at all.

Some speed combined with a bad road design and some very non observant drivers contribute to all of the wrecks. Driveway access into a main road. 90 degree road access instead of a turn lane. Many blind hills and curves. Even if you could get everyone to slow down the road would still have more than it's fair share of accidents simply because of the design and traffic load.

If people drove 55 (or even 60) accidents wouldn't be a problem. The lights are easy to see, and even have warnings. The road is straight and you can see everything around you. It's a very safe road IMO. How can a road as straight as this be "dangerous"????

If people rove 55 (or even 60) accidents wouldn't be a problem. The lights are easy to see, and even have warnings. The road is straight and you can see everything around you. It's a very safe road IMO. How can a road as straight as this be "dangerous"????
Because of idiots that pull out into traffic. It happens all too often on that road, as Poster Boy and Lucky Charms have indicated the road is basically set up for failure, it's just a stupid setup. BTW, much of it is a 65 mph speed limit, so 70 mph is only five over the limit which is hardly dangerous.

Because of idiots that pull out into traffic. It happens all too often on that road, as Poster Boy and Lucky Charms have indicated the road is basically set up for failure, it's just a stupid setup. BTW, much of it is a 65 mph speed limit, so 70 mph is only five over the limit which is hardly dangerous.

Between Maysville and Alexandria it's only 55 and people fly. Idiots that pull out in traffic and speed are not the road's fault. At 55 it's as safe as any road. In fact, you can see everywhere on that road, there is always a shoulder, and it's VERY VERY straight. Speed and idiots are the biggest flaws with the AA Highway not the structure.

Between Maysville and Alexandria it's only 55 and people fly. Idiots that pull out in traffic and speed are not the road's fault. At 55 it's as safe as any road. In fact, you can see everywhere on that road, there is always a shoulder, and it's VERY VERY straight. Speed and idiots are the biggest flaws with the AA Highway not the structure.

Exactly.

I firmly believe that if all motorists would look both ways (like they teach you in kindergarten) when the light turns green - before pulling out - that many lives would be saved.

All too many times sixteen wheelers either misjudge their ability to stop for the lights or try to squeeze through them, endangering those pulling out onto the highway without first checking.

I'd really like to see big signs at each intersection entering the AA saying "Look Both Ways Before Proceeding!!!"

I realize that that shouldn't have to be said, but unfortunately I think that it does. Anyone who simply goes on green is asking for an early exit from this earth, and all too often that is exactly what they get.

The other causes of death on the AA are deer, excessive speed, fog, and vehicles pulling in front of oncoming traffic while exiting the highway.