Sosa hits 600

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First ballot for Sammy, in all probability. Then again, as someone said earlier, it may come down to who else is in his "class".

For argument's sake (not likely, just hypothetical), let's say that Biggio, Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling, Hoffman and Bonds all happen to hang up the spikes at the same time as Sammy. That would be an interesting vote.

First ballot for Sammy, in all probability. Then again, as someone said earlier, it may come down to who else is in his "class".

For argument's sake (not likely, just hypothetical), let's say that Biggio, Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling, Hoffman and Bonds all happen to hang up the spikes at the same time as Sammy. That would be an interesting vote.

That's exactly what I am saying. Bonds and Glavine HAVE to be first ballot Hall-Of-Famers, Schilling and Smoltz still need help, (IMO), and I thinks Hoffman IS a Hall-Of-Famer-Fence-Straddler, some people say IN and others say, "Are you kidding me? He's a closer and nothing more"

I don't think Billy Hatcher is in the Hall of Fame, and Brett never had a corked bat that I know of. Brett's incident was too much pine tar, not a corked bat...

That's what I get for using Wikipedia:D I knew George Brett cheated somehow I just thought it was a corked bat. I wrote the Billy Hatcher thing down wrong, I meant to put Albert Belle on there :sssh:

I would have liked to be watching Sammy hit his 600th HR. True fans of baseball care. No matter what people think of Sosa, it's still one of the great feats for a pro baseball player to achieve. Griffey Jr. is next in line to get to 600. He needs 18. And he'll probably do that this season, sometime.

Sosa won't get in on the first ballot. 50% of the baseball writers have already stated they would vote for him. 2nd ballot, maybe.

they wouldn't have suspended him if he wasn't cheating?:sssh:

You're on a roll today...

He was never suspended. In fact, the AL League President over-turned McClellan's decision later. The Royals were declared the winner and this quote became famous...

"...Eventually A.L. President Lee MacPhail (himself a future Hall of Famer) overturned McClelland's decision and re-instated Brett's homer. Acknowledging that Brett had pine tar too high on the bat, McPhail explained that it was the league's belief that "games should be won and lost on the playing field - not through technicalities of the rules." MacPhail believed that a distinction should be made between using an altered bat which makes the ball go farther, and using a bat which had excessive pine tar. ..."

Smoltz still need help,
WOW! No chance. Smoltz is a HOF today.

Only person in history with 200 wins, 150 saves.

Add in 54 CG's. A career 3.26 ERA.

Voters love postseason stats, so throw in his 15-4 postseason record, with a 2.52 ERA. 3 PS saves as well.

7 time all star, 1996 Cy Young, 2002 Rolaids Relief Award.

Saving baseball hasn't / didn't help McGwire.

No, while I don't care that Sosa hit #600 last night, I don't think he'll be excluded from the Hall (and nor should he).

Sammy should be a first ballot HOF'er.

I'm just wondering if joining the 600 club will be enough to get in on the first ballot. There will be several sluggers from this era reach 500 but 600 will still be more exclusive. He might be kept out on a "protest" vote on the first one but I, like you think he'll get in--and it should be on the first ballot.

WOW! No chance. Smoltz is a HOF today.

Only person in history with 200 wins, 150 saves.

Add in 54 CG's. A career 3.26 ERA.

Voters love postseason stats, so throw in his 15-4 postseason record, with a 2.52 ERA. 3 PS saves as well.

7 time all star, 1996 Cy Young, 2002 Rolaids Relief Award.

I tend to agree with you here, 300 game winners are becoming more and more rare. The Saves, awards and postseason record should get Smoltz in even if he were to hang it up right now--that isn't that far fetched either. The rumor going around is his shoulder is nearly shot.

...Against the Cubs at that.

This just begs the question....Does anyone really care?

Everyone should care. This is a huge milestone. He is 5th on the ALL-TIME home run list. I'm sick of all the I don't cares... We are blessed to watch 3-5 of the greatest players of all time and all many of us do is complain. I am very thankful that I have been able to watch Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, ARod, Maddux, etc. Go Sammy.