Reds' plan is what, exactly?

I think Daugherty nails this one out of the park.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070608/COL03/706080358/1082/SPT

I guess this quantifies as "talking points", but many on here have lamented management over the course of the season...yet we hear nothing.

What is the plan?

They may have one but it is been poorly communicated, and that is in itself the absence of leadership.

From Doc's blog. Too bad he left out the 129 pitch Arroyo game...

I'm not a Baseball Guy, but explain why J. Hamilton wasnt in Denver Sunday, spelling Griffey, who's hitting .191 with 3 rbi in his last 12 games... Hobbs hit 3 HRs in his 1st 2 games at 'Ville, yet not fit enough to fly on a plane nearly 2 weeks later?

Livingston sent down because he wouldnt start for 8 days... so, how come he couldnt pitch out of the 'pen? Reds replace him w/McBeth, relief pitcher, who spent 2 games on the pine in Colorado...

It's like the line from Forrest Gump: "I'm not a smart man, Jenny.'' I'm sure Kriv's "people'' had their reasons. I'm not bright enough to figure them out.

At least he got it right at the end...

Lonnie Wheeler (best writer in the city by far) points out why we are rowing up stream without a paddle in his blog. This was from Wednesday.

Jim Bowden’s last five drafts (1999-2003) were almost total washouts, producing zero Reds for the current roster. Chris Denorfia, taken in ’02, was traded for Marcus McBeth, who still hasn’t thrown a pitch for Cincinnati; and that’s it. Ryan Wagner was in the big Washington swap, but only as the third-ranked commodity that the Reds dealt away. Austin Kearns was drafted in 1998, the same year as Dunn and Coffey.

Lonnie Wheeler (best writer in the city by far) points out why we are rowing up stream without a paddle in his blog. This was from Wednesday.

Jim Bowden’s last five drafts (1999-2003) were almost total washouts, producing zero Reds for the current roster. Chris Denorfia, taken in ’02, was traded for Marcus McBeth, who still hasn’t thrown a pitch for Cincinnati; and that’s it. Ryan Wagner was in the big Washington swap, but only as the third-ranked commodity that the Reds dealt away. Austin Kearns was drafted in 1998, the same year as Dunn and Coffey.

Can't blame it totally on drafting bad players. They took Ben Broussard in the second round in 1999 and then traded him to Cleveland for Branyan.

Drafted Dustin Moseley in the first round in 2000. He was traded away last year.

Drafted Sowers first in 2001 but he opted for college instead of the Reds.

How much say did Bowden have over the draft? There are several clubs that have scouting directors or someone else in the front office to oversee the draft and then have someone in scouting put together the list of players to take. Atlanta does this. So do the Cubs and Yankees. Can these bad drafts be blamed soley on Bowden or their lack of bodies in the scouting department?

I'd like to get back to the plan. We keep hearing that the plan the Twins took is the plan for us. Can anyone sort of lay out the ground work for this plan, and why it is the plan the Reds should take? We're going to have to figure this thing out for ourselves, certainly no one with the Reds org is speaking on it.

Funny how I mentioned how the Reds have had some success at changing managers midseason in the past (McKeon, Rose, Johnson), and that was met by "How many World Series have they won?" Minnesota won the WS the year after the Reds did and haven't been back since. Why is the Twins plan the model to follow if the goal is to win the World Series?

The Reds need to start dealing away players after the all-star break. They need to get Voto up in the majors and figure out something. Baseball America has their minors ranked 12th and they have a good handful of young players in A ball, so the Reds need to prepare to contend in 2009 instead of spending millions on Dunn, Milton, Stanton, etc.

From Doc's blog. Too bad he left out the 129 pitch Arroyo game...

I'm not a Baseball Guy, but explain why J. Hamilton wasnt in Denver Sunday, spelling Griffey, who's hitting .191 with 3 rbi in his last 12 games... Hobbs hit 3 HRs in his 1st 2 games at 'Ville, yet not fit enough to fly on a plane nearly 2 weeks later?

Livingston sent down because he wouldnt start for 8 days... so, how come he couldnt pitch out of the 'pen? Reds replace him w/McBeth, relief pitcher, who spent 2 games on the pine in Colorado...

It's like the line from Forrest Gump: "I'm not a smart man, Jenny.'' I'm sure Kriv's "people'' had their reasons. I'm not bright enough to figure them out.

GT - what do the above posts have to do with the point of the article.

If there's anyone who should be shouting from the rooftops that Big Bob and WK should articulate the plan, its you. They have no bigger defender yet when someone points out that all we want to hear is a plan, you take a shot at Doc and then place blame at LP's feet even though it has ZERO to do with the point being made. I know you're smart enough to catch the point.

Just admit it. They have failed at articulating their plan. Not the plan itself, mind you. They have failed to keep the fans involved and let them know where they're heading and why they're doing (or not doing) what they're doing. It goes completely against what Big Bob said when he bought the team.

I promise that if you admit the obvious, no one will think less of you including WK and Big Bob.

GT - what do the above posts have to do with the point of the article.

If there's anyone who should be shouting from the rooftops that Big Bob and WK should articulate the plan, its you. They have no bigger defender yet when someone points out that all we want to hear is a plan, you take a shot at Doc and then place blame at LP's feet even though it has ZERO to do with the point being made. I know you're smart enough to catch the point.

Just admit it. They have failed at articulating their plan. Not the plan itself, mind you. They have failed to keep the fans involved and let them know where they're heading and why they're doing (or not doing) what they're doing. It goes completely against what Big Bob said when he bought the team.

I promise that if you admit the obvious, no one will think less of you including WK and Big Bob.

I just don't see what the big press conference announcing "the plan" is going to accomplish. I've heard both Doc and Lance mention Bob addressing the crowd before the game tonight. Does that really solve anything? Is something like this really going to make anyone feel better about the last 10 weeks?

"Ladies and gentlemen I am here to address our fan base. What we are dealing with is two fold. First we must wait out some poor spending by the previous regime at the big league level. We started on that path by dumping Jason LaRue for a bucket of balls and some Big League Chew. Then we have to wait for the end of the season to take Eric Milton's 10 million off the books. By the time Junior moves on we will be nearing the point of financial stability needed for a market of this size.

I would like to give credit to Dan O'Brien for getting the minors on the right path, but the decade long gutting of the system by Jim Bowden means we still have a lot of work to do. We hope you enjoy tonights performance by the only 1st round pick by the Reds on the roster. It's our plan to make that a lot more regular sight here at Great American Ballpark in the future.

We all look forward to the fire sale in July, and the off season will be the first time we really get out there and find some good value with some money to spend. But in the mean time please continue to support this team as we crawl to October."

I'm sure that's all it's going to take for everyone to feel warm and fuzzy again...