What to do in your town?

RowdyRedRam

In my former job I had to do a lot of traveling in the state of Georgia, it makes me regret the fact that I've done so little traveling in my own state. On the rare occasion that I have days off, like today for instance, I often think about going to visit some of the town and cites around me but I need some kind of reason to go.

Being this website has people from all over the state, I want to know what be a good way of spending a day or a few hours in your town. Give a reason to visit your town, city, or county.

I goal of this thread is to create a sort of travel guide for our state, from the people that live there. I'd like to see people give, a thing to do, a thing to see, and a place to eat. Other than that any other info would be welcomed.

I live in Louisville, and there are hundreds of ways to spend your day.

Churchill Downs- Hit the race track and try to cash in a few tickets.

LouisvilleBats game- This could be tied in with a tour of the water front. Possibly eat at Tumbleweed on the river or Joes Crabshack, then walk around the park to the game. For the more energetic you may want to take lunch in at fourth street live then walk to the stadium, and get a walking view of downtown Louisville.

Museums- There is the Slugger museum, the Arms museum (I thought this one was underrated), the science museum and many more. I'm not so much into this sort of thing anymore, but it is definitely for those that are, it could again be tied in with a downtown tour.

Highlands- This is a special neighborhood in Louisville that serves as an artistic and entertainment hub of Louisville. There are two ways of enjoying Highlands. In the day there are a variety of specialty shops, eateries, record stores and people watching that one could taking in by up and down Bardstown and Baxter. The other is bar hopping at night. In my opinion the most fun bars in Louisville are in the Highlands, it isn't as upscale as

4th street
, but it also isn't as pricey.

Old Louisville- While there isn't a whole lot to do in old Louisville, the neighborhoods just north of UofL have some beautiful old houses and it nice to walk around just to view some of them.

As far as food goes there are millions of places to eat, I know some other Louisville posters would be able to give a much better and extensive list than I could.

I could also say a lot more, but I just wanted to give a start.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Frankfort and of course there is the Capitol building and Floral Clock which are both worth seeing. The historic areas downtown such as Liberty Hall and the Orlando Brown house. This weekend is the Expo held down around the old capitol great food and crafts, free shows ,and a pretty good fireworks show. As far as eating I would recommend Gibbys which is on Broadway or Cliffside which set along side a cliff below the governors mansion.Oh yeah I left out the Kentucky History Museum.

I live in Frankfort and of course there is the Capitol building and Floral Clock which are both worth seeing. The historic areas downtown such as Liberty Hall and the Orlando Brown house. This weekend is the Expo held down around the old capitol great food and crafts, free shows ,and a pretty good fireworks show. As far as eating I would recommend Gibbys which is on Broadway or Cliffside which set along side a cliff below the governors mansion.Oh yeah I left out the Kentucky History Museum.

Best burgers in town, IMO. :thumb: And the roast beef sandwich is amazing too.

In my former job I had to do a lot of traveling in the state of Georgia, it makes me regret the fact that I've done so little traveling in my own state. On the rare occasion that I have days off, like today for instance, I often think about going to visit some of the town and cites around me but I need some kind of reason to go.

Being this website has people from all over the state, I want to know what be a good way of spending a day or a few hours in your town. Give a reason to visit your town, city, or county.

I goal of this thread is to create a sort of travel guide for our state, from the people that live there. I'd like to see people give, a thing to do, a thing to see, and a place to eat. Other than that any other info would be welcomed.

I live in Louisville, and there are hundreds of ways to spend your day.

Churchill Downs- Hit the race track and try to cash in a few tickets.

LouisvilleBats game- This could be tied in with a tour of the water front. Possibly eat at Tumbleweed on the river or Joes Crabshack, then walk around the park to the game. For the more energetic you may want to take lunch in at fourth street live then walk to the stadium, and get a walking view of downtown Louisville.

Museums- There is the Slugger museum, the Arms museum (I thought this one was underrated), the science museum and many more. I'm not so much into this sort of thing anymore, but it is definitely for those that are, it could again be tied in with a downtown tour.

Highlands- This is a special neighborhood in Louisville that serves as an artistic and entertainment hub of Louisville. There are two ways of enjoying Highlands. In the day there are a variety of specialty shops, eateries, record stores and people watching that one could taking in by up and down Bardstown and Baxter. The other is bar hopping at night. In my opinion the most fun bars in Louisville are in the Highlands, it isn't as upscale as

4th street
, but it also isn't as pricey.

Old Louisville- While there isn't a whole lot to do in old Louisville, the neighborhoods just north of UofL have some beautiful old houses and it nice to walk around just to view some of them.

As far as food goes there are millions of places to eat, I know some other Louisville posters would be able to give a much better and extensive list than I could.

I could also say a lot more, but I just wanted to give a start.

Just to add a few more:

There is also the Patton Museum just outside of town in Ft. Knox.

Falls of The Ohio, technically not KY but it is close enough.

Waverly Hills TB Sanatorium (if you can get a tour, I would not advocate trespassing). Just the history of the place is fascinating, excluding the reports of ghosts.

Kentucky Center for the Arts for a play,musical or opera.

The Palace Theater.

The Brown Hotel.

Cave Hill.

Trinity High School (had to throw that in there) hehe.

Sigh....4th Street Live...

I am not even sure where to begin with restraunts!

KT's, Mike Lennigs, Cunninghams, Kashmir, Ramsi's, Wicks, Clifton Pizza Co., Ferd Grisanti's, Vincenzo's(if you can afford it), The Spire(not 100% sure if it ever reopened after September 11th), Fat Jimmy's, Fat Tony's, Porcini's, and there are ones I am forgetting I know!

Just to add a few more:

There is also the Patton Museum just outside of town in Ft. Knox.

Falls of The Ohio, technically not KY but it is close enough.

Waverly Hills TB Sanatorium (if you can get a tour, I would not advocate trespassing). Just the history of the place is fascinating, excluding the reports of ghosts.

Kentucky Center for the Arts for a play,musical or opera.

The Palace Theater.

The Brown Hotel.

Cave Hill.

Trinity High School (had to throw that in there) hehe.

Sigh....4th Street Live...

I am not even sure where to begin with restraunts!

KT's, Mike Lennigs, Cunninghams, Kashmir, Ramsi's, Wicks, Clifton Pizza Co., Ferd Grisanti's, Vincenzo's(if you can afford it), The Spire(not 100% sure if it ever reopened after September 11th), Fat Jimmy's, Fat Tony's, Porcini's, and there are ones I am forgetting I know!

I've been there... :D

Attend Lawrence County football games on Friday Night.

Go mudding

Camping and swimming at Yatesville Lake

Camp and fish at the Fallsburg Falls ( absolutely beautiful )

Flea Markets :D

Thats about it until the new Wal-Mart and stores come in later this year. LOL