When do you think Lexington will compete?

But they played two of the best teams in the state (H & X) tight that year. I'm pretty sure these ratings also don't figure in the John Hardin loss since it was in the playoffs.

Yeah, but didn't they lose to Dunbar head-to-head. It's incredible how some expect those ratings to prove more than actual on the field outcomes.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but didn't they lose to Dunbar head-to-head. It's incredible how some expect those ratings to prove more than actual on the field outcomes.
So, your big complaint is that PRP ended up one spot higher than Dunbar that year?

I don't think anyone is saying that those ratings are an exact listing, but I do think they give a good indication of what stratosphere each team occupies.

So, your big complaint is that PRP ended up one spot higher than Dunbar that year?

I don't think anyone is saying that those ratings are an exact listing, but I do think they give a good indication of what stratosphere each team occupies.

No. Clearly not. My thing is ratings never really prove anything in any level of sports. It's just a more advanced way of human opinion. Not worried because they ended up higher in a rating system. We all have alot to be proud of here in Lexington because in the WLEX high school sports zone polls, a Lexington team is always number 1, even rated over, yes, the Trinity Shamrocks. That's a clear indicator that ratings mean nothing.

No. Clearly not. My thing is ratings never really prove anything in any level of sports. It's just a more advanced way of human opinion. Not worried because they ended up higher in a rating system. We all have alot to be proud of here in Lexington because in the WLEX high school sports zone polls, a Lexington team is always number 1, even rated over, yes, the Trinity Shamrocks. That's a clear indicator that ratings mean nothing.
The difference is that the Massey, Cantrell, Litkenhouse, etc:

A) correlate highly with the different human expert polls and

B) have particular systems that shield themselves from blatent bias, and stick to these formulas regardless of result- so much so that at the begining of the season these ratings are often embarassingly wrong with results that no one would attempt to support.

With WLEX's track record, it doesn't suprise me that they get their ratings wrong, too. If their sports desk told me that gravity held me to the earth, I'd look down to check.

B) have particular systems that shield themselves from blatent bias, and stick to these formulas regardless of result- so much so that at the begining of the season these ratings are often embarassingly wrong with results that no one would attempt to support.

The guys that rated Ohio St. over Fla. were experts too. And probably them same people or similar rated Duke over Va. Commonwealth.. I think these two prove they have been embarassingly wrong amongst other scores of games in the past.

The guys that rated Ohio St. over Fla. were experts too. And probably them same people or similar rated Duke over Va. Commonwealth.. I think these two prove they have been embarassingly wrong amongst other scores of games in the past.
And here you are proving my earlier point. Obviously, ratings and rankings are never an exact indication down the line top to bottom of what teams are superior to others.

But let me ask you, even if tO$U wasn't as good as Florida, would you say they were still a top 5 or 10 team? That's my point, is that the position in these polls may not be EXACT, but they're a good indication of the neighborhood a team occupies.

And here you are proving my earlier point. Obviously, ratings and rankings are never an exact indication down the line top to bottom of what teams are superior to others.

But let me ask you, even if tO$U wasn't as good as Florida, would you say they were still a top 5 or 10 team? That's my point, is that the position in these polls may not be EXACT, but they're a good indication of the neighborhood a team occupies.

Maybe at #5. It's not about the neighborhood, it's about the so-called experts. Go out and bet on these experts and you'll stay close to even, up or down. Experts are no different than you and I, so they shouldn't be seen that way. They look at teams and listen to people talk, just as we do, and then come up with something, just like we do. Your point you are trying to prove is a two-way statement. On one end, you agree that they don't prove a thing. Then you say they associate, but really they don't. It happens all the time so here's an example. A top team from Texas plays a top team from Ohio. Now from what our so-called experts say, football in Texas is second to none, Florida on a good day. The team from Ohio wins the game, but wasn't ranked as high. That's why we play the game. The same thing when UK pounded Ragone into the turf at the Pizza Box. UL was ranked signifigantly higher than UK that year. Trinity was ranked signifigantly higher than Manual at the start of the '03 season.

With WLEX's track record, it doesn't suprise me that they get their ratings wrong, too. If their sports desk told me that gravity held me to the earth, I'd look down to check.

That last one was realy funny. I'd question them too. KY weather isn't the best, but forecasters make it seem even worse.

But they played two of the best teams in the state (H & X) tight that year. I'm pretty sure these ratings also don't figure in the John Hardin loss since it was in the playoffs.
You are correct. The ratings I posted were from the end of the regular season.

As for harder bracket, that is garbage. Playoffs means best of the best, and nothing else, regardless of where you are.
No, it isn't garbage. Under the old system, Manual had to compete in a region that included Male and St. Xavier. The Lexington schools had neither of those schools, who you've already admitted are better than then Lexington teams, standing in their path in the first three rounds.

Not to mention that the other district in Manual's region (John Hardin, North Hardin, Meade County, Nelson County) is generally much tougher than the other district in the Lexington schools' region.

It's incredible how some expect those ratings to prove more than actual on the field outcomes.
No one has made that statement, or anything even remotely close to it. As 02Ram54 states, the power ratings simply give fans a general idea of a team's strength.

The same thing when UK pounded Ragone into the turf at the Pizza Box. UL was ranked signifigantly higher than UK that year. Trinity was ranked signifigantly higher than Manual at the start of the '03 season.
Why are you talking about rankings at the start of the year, when everything is just guesswork?! Especially since:

A) I've already called rankings at the begining of the year garbage and

B) the ratings provided were from the end of the year?

Why are you talking about rankings at the start of the year, when everything is just guesswork?! Especially since:

A) I've already called rankings at the begining of the year garbage and

B) the ratings provided were from the end of the year?

The reasons seem obvious, don't they?