Rate the top coaches in your region

Madduxace, nothing against Coach Dodd but, Let's face it, with the talent he received courtsey of the Rose Hill break up, and what he actually did with that talent, I can't quite agree with you that he is better than a couple of the above mentioned coaches. One in particular who beat him this year to go on and win the 16th Region with a group of SOPHMORES. Russell plays in a weak district and quite frankly did the 16th Region more harm by going to the state tourney last year with their absolutely lack luster performance against Grant Co. Coach Dodd knows the game and has endured quite a bit while at Russell, but with the talent and support that program has had over the last 2 or 3 years I would expect more.

Coach Dodd is an NAIA Hall of Fame coach.

He won the region last year with the first class of seniors he had coached for 4 years. He, without question had the best team in the region "with Vanhoose" this year.

As far as the most basketball talent, who, besides Vanhoose was a top 10 player in the region this year for Russell?

Two starters from last year(Kasey Clark & Jacob Sizemore) chose not to play their senior season.

The next two years will be rebuilding years for the Devils.

Please, just ask the other coaches who they think is tops in the 16th.:fire: ...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duck 1220, I guess that Blair and Robinson, as well as Gill were not high caliber enough for Russell to win with. I guess Vanhoose "carried" that team to all of the victories they had. Vanhoose is a great player, but I'm here to tell you that without Robinson coming to Russell last season, Russell does not beat Elliott in the EKC or regular season game. Check the box scores and you will see....And by the way, You stated that this is the first group of kids that he has coached for 4 years as seniors, strange how Elliott made it to the Elite "8" as sophmores in their first trip to Rupp. Last year I believe that the group that Dodd had coached for "3 years" barely escaped Elliott in the Championship who, by the way was playing with freshman at the time, and then got spanked in the first round at Rupp.---Again, not taking anything away from Coach Dodd, I just feel like there probably should have been more with what he had.

Duck I believe if you ask coaches on his own team they would chose someone else. I am not taking anything away from Coach Dodd but with the size an atheleticism Russell had this year no one in the 16th beside Elliot an Ashland should have come within 15

Madduxace, nothing against Coach Dodd but, Let's face it, with the talent he received courtsey of the Rose Hill break up, and what he actually did with that talent, I can't quite agree with you that he is better than a couple of the above mentioned coaches. One in particular who beat him this year to go on and win the 16th Region with a group of SOPHMORES. Russell plays in a weak district and quite frankly did the 16th Region more harm by going to the state tourney last year with their absolutely lack luster performance against Grant Co. Coach Dodd knows the game and has endured quite a bit while at Russell, but with the talent and support that program has had over the last 2 or 3 years I would expect more.
First off Russell played Graves Co. and to say they did the 16th harm is not a fair statement. Any team that gets to Rupp Arena has accomplished a great feat. I was only making an observation about longevity as opposed to a few good years. I do not even know Coach Dodd but from what I understand he was very successfull at the college level and has done very well at Russell since he arrived at the school. Personaly I feel Zornes is the best coach in the region now he has come back to the area. Dodd is a close second. Others are very good as well like Biggs etc.

I really like Listerman from your region. His teams are always well coached and very fundamentally sound. I don't particularly like to watch their games from a fans point of view.

I also like the way Henley's teams play.

As far as the comment about Schlarman adjusting his style of play to fit his team, there are two different schools of thought on this. I discussed this with a very successful high school coach that plays a very up tempo style of play, both offensively and defensively. A few years ago he had a team blessed with a lot of heigth but not much speed. The coach tried to change his style from an up-tempo team to a 1/2 court team to utilize the heigth advantage. The team had only moderate success by the program's standards. The coach told me never again would he change his style to fit his players. He instead would mold his players to fit the coaches style of play he believed in. He has had a great deal of success doing just this. If you look at the most successful coaches, most have a basic philosophy of how the game should be played and they stick with it.

First of all I have wondered when people were going to mention David Henley as a top coach in his region or the entire state. 2nd of all I somewhat agree with the statement a coach shouldn't completely change his or her style according to the talent they have, BUT the key word is completely. I think a coach absolutely has to at least alter the way the play according to the talent they have. I like to run and press with the best of them, but I was at a school a few years ago where my talent was minimal, so instead of pressing and running as much, I move most of my presses to 3/4 or 1/2 court as opposed to full, and only picked certain areas or times to trap. I just don't think you can coach the exact same way every year in high school unless you are at a school that just has enormous talent year after year. Of course like other things that is just my opinion.

I really like Listerman from your region. His teams are always well coached and very fundamentally sound. I don't particularly like to watch their games from a fans point of view.

Many people, especially, NKY people, would say that Listerman has had a very, very large advantage in terms of talent over the last 7 years (with the exception of a few teams from other schools) and has had only 2 regional titles.

With the recent 2nd region turnover it would be difficult to say...Kerry Stovall comes to mind. Everyone else seems so up and down as the talent comes and goes. Jimmy Croft and Mike Wright are good ones, both are back from time away from the game. Phil Gibson was the best but left this year.

With the recent 2nd region turnover it would be difficult to say...Kerry Stovall comes to mind. Everyone else seems so up and down as the talent comes and goes. Jimmy Croft and Mike Wright are good ones, both are back from time away from the game. Phil Gibson was the best but left this year.

Agreed! Stovall does a good job at getting 10-12 kids at playing unselfishly and running their controlled chaotic defense. Davis at Madisonville is a solid coach but with Gibson leaving Henderson the best Coach in the 2nd region is up in the air IMO. Last year Jim Simmons (Hopkinsville) did the best coaching job. When you look at what he had returning and the 4 players he lost before or during the season Hopkinsville greatly over achieved. He got the kids to playing his style and the ball movement was the best it's been at Hoptown since I've been here. It helped having a staff like Simmons has at Hopkinsville. Anthony Babb came over from Christian Co. and Kelly Carwile joined the program in early December. Although according to former Coach Terry Hayes Hoptown underachieved this year. He pointed that out 2-3 times this year when he was the color man on the tv games.

14th:

Alan Hatcher- with all his accomplishments, its hard not to put this guy at number one.

Al Holland- multiple regional titles and his teams always compete in the region. However, he has been the coach at the region's largest school (but now may be second largest to LCC), so it will be interesting to see how he does at Hazard.

Kyle Lively- led Jackson City to its best year ever, and had a very successful year at Powell County before losing to the eventual regional champs, JBS. He also has two Coach of the Year awards in just two years of coaching, pretty impressive.

Gary Stepp- has turned June Buchanan who was always at the bottom of the region into a very competitive team. They won the region last year, went to the semi-finals the year before, and are the favorite this year.

John Noble- has turned Buckhorn completely around. They have been very competitive the last few years, and should compete again this year.

You mean Jim Stepp, not Gary.

Michael Fraliex is a possible consideration but we need to see what he can get done this year. He has had two good years but he lost a lot of talent at the end of the season. If he is to be considered one of the best in the region he will have to show he can have success without Matt. Hoptown and Simmons kind of just quietly did their thing. Hoptown has a ton of talent at that school. They may not be on the team but there is some talent. I don't know about overachieving but a solid ball club...I would agree with that.