Rate the top coaches in your region

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picknroll---Russell plays in a weak district ??? are you that uninformed ? How far back are you looking ? Are you a teenager ? There are some districts out there that are weak (rowan's, carter's, elliott's) but it sure is'nt the 63rd.

anyway back to the topic ---can't argue Zornes , Dodd has great talent but did a great job the last 2 years. his team plays the ugliest game in school history (home loss to GC in district finals) and he turns around and wins the region , then makes a good run w/o Vanhoose in the region --I'd include Dodd. For a 3rd pick I'd go Hampton ---LC had'nt won a district title in something like 25 years when he took over. He's won 2 or 3 in 6 years. and his team ends up in morehead about every year. No one does more with less. Mays ?? -- doormat FOREVER , never did much until his teams talent level got ski high.

1. Humphrey

2. Reitz

3. O'hearn

4. Code

5. Flynn

Rison would have been on here if he had not retired

Can't agree with your assessment here BM. I'll go with Code & Humphrey in the 1-2 spots, but O'Hearn has had nothing but a wealth of talent since he's been there and Reitz, while good in his past stops, has "done less with more" while at Campbell (nice guy though)!!

1. Humphrey

2. Reitz

3. O'hearn

4. Code

5. Flynn

Rison would have been on here if he had not retired

Reitz has underacheived since he arrived at Campbell. I would have a difficult time putting Reitz or Flynn ahead of Carr at Scott.

I really don't understand the infatuation with Mays in the 16th. He has had team after team come through Sandy Hook, and he has 3 district titles in 20 some odd years. He happens to have a group of kids who are so talented that he can't hold them back. Coach Mays is a good guy, I just don't believe he belongs in this conversation. He also has the luxury of being at a school where basketball is the only sport that matters, and he can have his kids focused year-round.

Coach Rick Mays definietly deserves to be considered in this conversation. Coach Mays has 350 kids in his entire high school to pick his team from, where most other schools have that in each graduating class. He doesnt have the luxury of athletes as the Russell's, and Ashland's, and Greenup's. He has over 350 wins, 5 Class "A" regional titles, 3 district titles, a regional runner-up, and a regional championship in 26 years at a Class "A" school. I don't know that you can come up with 10 Class "A" coaches in the state that have that resume. You say that Sandy Hook has had numerous teams comes through, but if you think about it I bet you couldn't come up with 5 teams that was the favorite to win the district. 3 of those 5 years, he has won them. Like you said, he has a talented group now and you see what he is doing with it. He has been to the last two regional championships and he won last year.

10th Region

All you posters before are naming the ones that have talent year in and year out. Put Humphrey, O'Hern, and others with the Augustas, Demings, Brackens, and Silver Groves and then you will see their true coaching skills. I believe anyone could coach Mason and Clark to the region every year.

10th Region

All you posters before are naming the ones that have talent year in and year out. Put Humphrey, O'Hern, and others with the Augustas, Demings, Brackens, and Silver Groves and then you will see their true coaching skills. I believe anyone could coach Mason and Clark to the region every year.

Agreed LBM with your premise, but conversely you could put Billy D, Billy G, Ricky P, etc. at Calvary, SG, St. Pats, etc. and w/o serious r-word they'd be hard pressed to ever win the region. That's why I see guys like Mike Code @ Brossart (still a very small school) or Brad Carr @ Scott (decent sized, but not a traditional power) in the 10th; or a Dave Faust @ St. Henry in the 9th as doing great jobs year in, year out. These schools consistantly compete, despite the lack of a huge new talent influx every year like the CovCath's, Mason's, Clark's, Holmes's, Any Boone County school, etc.!!

PS: After being at Montgomery County for the baseball tourney, please explain HOW you don't contend for the regional title at that school EVERY year, in EVERYTHING??

10th Region

I am going to disagree with this comment. While it is easier to win at larger schools, a lot of coaches began their careers at very small schools and were very successful before accepting positions at larger schools. There are tons of very large schools that seldom ever reach the Sweet 16. I especially like the job Humphrey has done at Clark Co. I don't think ANYONE could have done the job he has done. I also think you put the states best coaches at Deming, Bracken Co, etc. and they would be winners. They may not go to the Sweet 16 but they would build a very successful program. I have seen it done at Evarts (Hicks), Harlan (Jones, and Hicks), JBS (Stepp), Corbin (Hicks and Deaton) and many others.

picknroll---Russell plays in a weak district ??? are you that uninformed ? How far back are you looking ? Are you a teenager ? There are some districts out there that are weak (rowan's, carter's, elliott's) but it sure is'nt the 63rd.

anyway back to the topic ---can't argue Zornes , Dodd has great talent but did a great job the last 2 years. his team plays the ugliest game in school history (home loss to GC in district finals) and he turns around and wins the region , then makes a good run w/o Vanhoose in the region --I'd include Dodd. For a 3rd pick I'd go Hampton ---LC had'nt won a district title in something like 25 years when he took over. He's won 2 or 3 in 6 years. and his team ends up in morehead about every year. No one does more with less. Mays ?? -- doormat FOREVER , never did much until his teams talent level got ski high.

I find it AMAZING that a coach who develops his talent from the ranks of his elementary programs all the way to the high school level is not given credit by you as a quality coach. I guess if he were more like other area schools who continously have "transfers" to be able to compete he then would be consider a great coach. A true coach takes the hand that he is dealt and dares you to call! As far as the weak district, and teenager comment...can you tell me how many region championships the 63rd has won in the last 20years? How about the last 30 years? I would venture to say that in the last 10 years you will find that the above mentioned districts that you consider weak have more region champs than the 63rd.:fight:

I find it AMAZING that a coach who develops his talent from the ranks of his elementary programs all the way to the high school level is not given credit by you as a quality coach. I guess if he were more like other area schools who continously have "transfers" to be able to compete he then would be consider a great coach. A true coach takes the hand that he is dealt and dares you to call! As far as the weak district, and teenager comment...can you tell me how many region championships the 63rd has won in the last 20years? How about the last 30 years? I would venture to say that in the last 10 years you will find that the above mentioned districts that you consider weak have more region champs than the 63rd.:fight:

I think Coach Mays has a done a good job at EC.

I am a 62nd guy but only two times has 62nd been to Sweet 16. Morgan was 61st when they advanced.

Russell has one and Greenup has four region titles in last 30 years.

Better check your facts.

Lewis won the district in 1997 for the first time since 78.

Hampton has won three in his eight year tenure that began in 2000 and has done a tremendous job with the Lions program.