Bellevue's bermuda

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. Timetable is approximately as follows: Removal of current sod should be completed within a few days. Bermuda Sprigs tentatively scheduled for mid June or so. Expected to be game ready by September 1st according to the experts involved.

#2. Bellevue Youth Football is doing just fine. I believe it was the midgets that just won the NKYFL Superbowl last season. The numbers problem is really only an issue at the senior level.

#3. The Ft. Thomas "Recruiting" issue is ridiculous. Bellevue has a 1 square mile designated area to pull players from as per the NKYFL league guidelines. By comparison the Campbell County organization has all of the county outside Bellevue, Dayton and Newport. FT. Thomas does not participate in NKYFL and thusly falls into the "county" territory. The Bellevue folks were trying to have the area reassigned in order to assist their numbers.

#4 Flooding issue. This was caused primarily by a washed-out culvert running down from the hill on the west side of the Gilligan Stadium grandstands. That culvert is being repaired and the track surface redone all as a part of the football field improvements. Should solve the once every two years or so flooding problem.

#1. Timetable is approximately as follows: Removal of current sod should be completed within a few days. Bermuda Sprigs tentatively scheduled for mid June or so. Expected to be game ready by September 1st according to the experts involved.

#2. Bellevue Youth Football is doing just fine. I believe it was the midgets that just won the NKYFL Superbowl last season. The numbers problem is really only an issue at the senior level.

#3. The Ft. Thomas "Recruiting" issue is ridiculous. Bellevue has a 1 square mile designated area to pull players from as per the NKYFL league guidelines. By comparison the Campbell County organization has all of the county outside Bellevue, Dayton and Newport. FT. Thomas does not participate in NKYFL and thusly falls into the "county" territory. The Bellevue folks were trying to have the area reassigned in order to assist their numbers.

#4 Flooding issue. This was caused primarily by a washed-out culvert running down from the hill on the west side of the Gilligan Stadium grandstands. That culvert is being repaired and the track surface redone all as a part of the football field improvements. Should solve the once every two years or so flooding problem.

Excellent update and good point on the recruiting issue which is silly.

Once they redo the track are they going to open it up to the public again. I used to go down there with my grandpa and Dad when I was younger, but they closed it up once the field was redone in order to host TMC games. The bleachers are a great workout.

For the most part the track is usually open but the "s-shaped" gate that would only allow pedestrians through has been removed. Not sure what that means as far as public use is concerned. I'll see If I can get you an answer.

• 3 weeks later...

How is the Bermuda doing? I was by yesterday (July 4th) on 471 and it didn't look like the grass had spread much. It looked like a big mud hole with all the rain we finally got (it even appeared the sprinklers were on). It just didn't appear to me that it was taking or doing whatever it is supposed to do, but I know nothing about that so it is just my opinion.

From the description, it would seem they are a little behind. When North Bullitt put in bermuda 3 years ago, it was sprigged 1st week of June and was a rice patty for several weeks. It seemed impossible, but by middle of August, it was one of the best natural grass fields around - full, thick and green. It will get there, but it may not be ready for play by opening day.

You have to keep it wet the first 30 days. Sounds like they may be over doing it a bit, but it takes about a month for it to get started. Once it does start they will need to fertilize once a week and start to mow. Until it's established they need to mow with a reel mower, and mowing actually helps it spread as the clippings are basically more spriggs. Don't panic it should be alright.