High School Coaches selling tickets

I disagree. The coach has no right to profit from selling these tickets. In fact, if he didn't need them, he could have let a student from his school buy them.

With this argument, shouldn't he just give the student the ticket.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Sweet 16 I noticed a steady stream of high school basketball coaches selling their complimentary tickets to scalpers in front of DeShae's restaurant. When I casually mentioned this to a friend who happens to be a school board attorney, he said those coaches would probably lose their jobs if caught. Do you think these guys know the chance they are taking to make a few bucks at the Sweet 16?
You have way too much time on your hands.:rolleyes:

You can not sell them if they are paid for by the school, unless a coach has it in his contract that he gets tickets then they could be in big trouble, yes they put in long hours and deserve all the tickets they want but that is not the way it is when it comes down to the law, and to loose your job over a 5- 10 dollar profit to me doesn't seem worth it.

You can not sell them if they are paid for by the school, unless a coach has it in his contract that he gets tickets then they could be in big trouble, yes they put in long hours and deserve all the tickets they want but that is not the way it is when it comes down to the law, and to loose your job over a 5- 10 dollar profit to me doesn't seem worth it.

I don't see any school firing a coach for selling a ticket for $5-10.

I disagree. The coach has no right to profit from selling these tickets. In fact, if he didn't need them, he could have let a student from his school buy them.

So he sells the tickets to a student who now would need to skip school to attend the afternoon sessions?

If it is in their contract to receive the tickets as part of the compensation, does that change what they can do with them after they are at the state tournament?

Coaches don't know if all their assistants are going to be there or not. Sometimes people just can't show up. Some coaches sell them for face and I saw other coaches GIVING tickets away to young kids and their parents. I guess that is dishonest as another poster said earlier.

Coaches don't know if all their assistants are going to be there or not. Sometimes people just can't show up. Some coaches sell them for face and I saw other coaches GIVING tickets away to young kids and their parents. I guess that is dishonest as another poster said earlier.
Why would giving the tickets away be dishonest? If he can't use the tickets, then he should hand them back to the AD, who I assume is there to see the game.

Why would giving the tickets away be dishonest? If he can't use the tickets, then he should hand them back to the AD, who I assume is there to see the game.

Whatever you do on the boys side, you have to do on the girls side. The girls tournament is far away and you might not have anyone there to give them away and especially not an AD.

I have a funny story. A couple of years ago my dad and I were trying to buy some good seats for the finals of the Sweet 16. We ended up talking to some coaches from a popular school (that will remain nameless) about some tickets they were selling. These coaches were very nervous and they were selling the tickets for twice face value which was fine with dad and I. One of the coaches asked my dad if he was a cop (thinking they are going to get into trouble for scalping tickets) and dad says to him, "I am not a cop, he is the cop (referring to me)," and these coaches didn't even pick up on the fact of who they were potentially selling tickets to because they were so nervous. I always get a laugh out of that one.

Again, don't ask and don't PM me because I will not tell what school they were from for any reason.

Also, anyone that thinks coaches don't sell the tickets for more than face value is nuts. I don't see how anyone should be allowed to profit (illegally I might add) from tickets purchased using taxpayer dollars.

Also, anyone that thinks coaches don't sell the tickets for more than face value is nuts. I don't see how anyone should be allowed to profit (illegally I might add) from tickets purchased using taxpayer dollars.
Perhaps some do.

The ones that I know that do ocassionally sell tickets that are not being used, don't sell them for above face value and most often sell them for less.

The ones who are "scalping" their tickets for over face-value know the risks associated with thier actions and should be in position to pay the consequences if they are caught (or turned in).

1st, I wouldn't "assume" the AD is in attendance. Sure, some are, but many aren't. 2nd, at our school, I know our Coaches pay for the tix from fund raiser accounts, and not school funding per se. Since the coaches have the fundraisers and expend many hours at these fund raisers, to afford the student athletes nice things above and beyond the essentials, I believe the coach has the right to treat his staff to a few BB games. If he chooses to sell the tickets (not for profit), fine....don't waste it. In our schools case, any money made for unused tix generally helps the head coach pay for dinner/hotels for his staff and others in attendence (clock keeper, score keeper etc.) Afterall, we all know coaches make so much money they don't deserve any "perks":irked: