LexCath VS Althoff Catholic (Illinois)

If its Bellville Althoff, they've played Mayfield and Pad Tilghman in years past..If i'm not mistaken, they do have a good tradition, but, havent been that great the last few years...I believe they split with Tilghman and Mayfield beat them, but, that was back in the late 90s, early 00s....

Althoff has major problems filling out a schedule close to home, therefore their brief series with Paducah Tilghman and Mayfield, among others.

In recent years, I would say LexCath has had generally better teams, although this could be a very entertaining game.

Why could Johnson Central not play this game?

I believe Johnson Central had given a verbal committment to play and then decided to play South Point Ohio. I wish the two could have worked it out. Lexington Catholic vs Johnson Central would have been a great opening week match-up.

I believe Johnson Central had given a verbal committment to play and then decided to play South Point Ohio. I wish the two could have worked it out. Lexington Catholic vs Johnson Central would have been a great opening week match-up.

Johnson Central is fulfilling the second year of a two-year contract with South Point, Ohio. South Point was originally going to buy out of the contract, so Central was exploring other options, and then South Point decided they would play the game after all, so Central fulfilled its original contractual obligation.

• 2 weeks later...

L.C. vs. Althoff should be a very good game.Althoff plays in the 5A class in Illinois, due to private school multiplier.I believe if my math is correct it equates out to be about 5A in Kentucky .The schools enrollments run from 1000 to 1500 students.Althoff's losses the last 2 years have come to Cahokia 2 losses( Semi and Quarterfinal finisher in 5A playoffs);St.Louis University High 2( Private all boys school of around 2000);Mount Vernon(Semifinalist in 6A); and Kankakee Bishop MacNamara(in 5A playoffs, and a traditional power in the outstanding Chicago Catholic League).Of the losses all but 1 were by a touchdown or less, the loss to Cahokia in the 5A playoffs was a 14-0 game which came 3 weeks after Althoff had beaten them 57-28.

This should be an outstanding game as Althoff is one of the favorites in 5A thisyear.They return around 16 starters, including Jason Ford, Considered one of the top running back recruits in the country.

L.C. vs. Althoff should be a very good game.Althoff plays in the 5A class in Illinois, due to private school multiplier.I believe if my math is correct it equates out to be about 5A in Kentucky .The schools enrollments run from 1000 to 1500 students.Althoff's losses the last 2 years have come to Cahokia 2 losses( Semi and Quarterfinal finisher in 5A playoffs);St.Louis University High 2( Private all boys school of around 2000);Mount Vernon(Semifinalist in 6A); and Kankakee Bishop MacNamara(in 5A playoffs, and a traditional power in the outstanding Chicago Catholic League).Of the losses all but 1 were by a touchdown or less, the loss to Cahokia in the 5A playoffs was a 14-0 game which came 3 weeks after Althoff had beaten them 57-28.

This should be an outstanding game as Althoff is one of the favorites in 5A thisyear.They return around 16 starters, including Jason Ford, Considered one of the top running back recruits in the country.

Illinois schools do not play in classes during the regular season. They play in conferences with different sized, but geographically close schools. Conference champions and 6 win teams (out of 9 game regular season) are guaranteed a playoff spot. After that, teams get in based on the cumulative number of opponents' wins.

Each team's class is determined once the teams in the playoffs are determined. Under the new multiplier, "non-boundaried" schools have their enrollment multiplied by 1.65. Another Illinois quirk, as related to enrollments, is that each school has a football enrollment based upon the average of its football opponents (the high and low are thrown out). In essence, if you qualify for the playoffs playing larger schools, you are going to have to play larger schools in the playoffs.

In looking at Althoff's 2006 season, I saw one of their opponents..Bishop McNamara.

Nickname: Crusaders

Head Coach: Glenn Schott

2005 Record: 7-2 (Class 5A)

2006 Official Enrollment: 1014.75

2006 Football Enrollment: 1203.95

W 20 14 8-3 Troy (Triad)

W 33 7 2-7 Belleville (West)

L 21 28 5-3 St. Louis (University), MO

W 41 27 5-5 *Mt. Vernon (H.S.)

W 36 0 0-9 *Centralia

W 28 6 10-2 *Marion (H.S.)

W 56 6 2-7 *Carbondale

L 29 36 8-4 *Cahokia (H.S.)

WF 1 0 0-5 Kansas City (Paseo Academy), MO

L 7 14 8-3 Kankakee (McNamara)

The game with Lex Cath will be interesting for me for comparison purposes.

They use to play a few teams in SE Mo. like Cape Central who use to be a common oppnet of Mayfield. As stated both Mayfield and PT have played them and a team not far out of Paducah, Marion played them last year. The year they played Mayfield they ran into a pretty darn good Mayfield team that went on to be a 1A runner up to a great Middlesboro team. As of late I dont think Altoff has had the horses to play with Lex Cath but sounds like they return alot so it might be a good game but I think I'll take Lex Cath in this one