Homecourt Advanatage?

This seems to come up every year, especially in the 10th Region, so I figured I would just start a thread devoted to the topic. I personally feel kind of stupid asking the question but I know that a lot of people feel differently about the subject. Is it an ADVANTAGE to play at home during the postseason?

I believe it is definately an advantage. Like a point that I saw on another thread, this advantage doesn't guarantee a win but it does improve your odds. I believe that it is an advantage in a lot of different aspects of the game. To start, not having to travel on a bus for a game, getting home earlier, fans that may not otherwise drive an hour to watch a game. A big advantage to playing at home is depth perception. The depth perception in most gyms is different. Some gyms may have a wall right behind the goal, some gyms may have bleachers, the lighting could be different, there are a lot of aspects that go into depth perception while shooting. I'm not saying that you can't shoot on the road, I'm just saying that it may take a little bit to adjust to the different surroundings.

This is my opinion on Homecourt Advantage and I know that it will probably get worked over numerous times so what does everyone else with experience honestly think?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In talking to Coach Holland from Henry County, the whole depth perception topic came up. If you have been to Henry County, the back end of the gym extends about 20-25 feet further than the front. I guess if you play there enough you get used to it. He thought that it did give the home team the advantage.

No doubt about it, playing at home is an advantage. Doesn't guarantee you anything, but definitely gives you an advantage. The only people that would say otherwise are Mason County fans trying to justify having the regional tournament in the Fieldhouse every year, and they are smart enough to know deep down that it is an advantage, even if they don't want to admit it.

In talking to Coach Holland from Henry County, the whole depth perception topic came up. If you have been to Henry County, the back end of the gym extends about 20-25 feet further than the front. I guess if you play there enough you get used to it. He thought that it did give the home team the advantage.

I'm glad you brought this up early in the discussion because I figured it would be one of the main things people would disagree about. I know personally it did make a difference for a while, the difference eventually goes away over the course of a game but few minutes of adjustment could be the difference in a game.

This is my post on this issue - taken directly from the other thread.

Here's an outsider's take on the "homecourt advantage" in the 10th...

At the 11th region tournament at EKU - Scott Co. nor Lex Cath were allowed to take a basketball onto the floor prior to 20 minutes til game time. This rule is in place so that the teams that play the first game of the day do not get extra time to shoot around over the teams that play the later games. Just a few extra minutes shooting on the goals might cause one team to have an advantage over another.

I realize that there isn't any other place that is big enough to hold the 10th region tournament - so it should be there (for necessity, not tradition)... but to act like that's not an advantage for Mason is simply denying the truth.

GRC being good enough to overcome that advantage today does not mean that there isn't an advantage.

This is my post on this issue - taken directly from the other thread.

Here's an outsider's take on the "homecourt advantage" in the 10th...

At the 11th region tournament at EKU - Scott Co. nor Lex Cath were allowed to take a basketball onto the floor prior to 20 minutes til game time. This rule is in place so that the teams that play the first game of the day do not get extra time to shoot around over the teams that play the later games. Just a few extra minutes shooting on the goals might cause one team to have an advantage over another.

I realize that there isn't any other place that is big enough to hold the 10th region tournament - so it should be there (for necessity, not tradition)... but to act like that's not an advantage for Mason is simply denying the truth.

GRC being good enough to overcome that advantage today does not mean that there isn't an advantage.

I think that this has to be the most logical response for Mason Co. fans. No one can fault them for wanting to keep the 10th Regional Tourny for necessity reasons but this is not their argument. I don't know why the 10th region thinks that it is the only one that may lose a dollar or two by moving the regional tournament. All the other regions in the state that don't have neutral sites rotate their tourny's and of course some of those years they may not make as much money, but it is rotated in fairness to all those involved.