Homecourt Advanatage?

I agree with this post, bricklayer.

The 14th rotates the tournament between 6 sites and it has worked out fairly well with a few exceptions. Knott Central seats 5,000 (300 seats less than Mason's Fieldhouse, so they're comparable in size), but the 14th decided many years ago to use a rotation system. We have never considered using only one school, to my knowledge. My only disagreement with our present plan is I feel a facility should be able to seat at least 3,500, and two of our gyms in the rotation seat less than 3,000.

My proposal for the 14th Policy Board when they are updating and discussing the rotation in the future is:

(1) Demand that a facility has to seat at least 3,500 in order to host the regional tournament.

(2) Change the rotation from a 6 year plan to a 4 year plan, and base it on allowing at least one of the schools in each district to host the tournament (if they can meet the 3,500 seating guideline that I have suggested). When it is each district's turn to host, the member schools of that particular district will vote where they want it held in their district. This way, all four districts and all sections of the region will have the tournament in a four year plan.

The four choices in the 14th would more than likely be: 53rd Knott Central, 54th Perry Central, 55th Breathitt County, and 56th Powell County. It's fair, and all sections of the region is covered.

I agree with this. There has to be some kind of minimum seatin to host a regional tournament. But there also must be some sort of rotation like you said. The 14th would have trouble with the 3500 minimum because I am pretty sure Breathitt doesn't seat that any more since the renovations 10 or 12 years ago (could be wrong) and I don't know any numbers at Powell but that seems a little generous. I definately agree with your ideas. Any type of rotation is an improvement on no rotation IMO!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. There has to be some kind of minimum seatin to host a regional tournament. But there also must be some sort of rotation like you said. The 14th would have trouble with the 3500 minimum because I am pretty sure Breathitt doesn't seat that any more since the renovations 10 or 12 years ago (could be wrong) and I don't know any numbers at Powell but that seems a little generous. I definately agree with your ideas. Any type of rotation is an improvement on no rotation IMO!!!

According to the Fire Marshall's figures, and what is posted on the gym wall, Powell County seats 3,500. I agree with you about Breathitt County's gym, though. I don't think they seat nearly as many as they once did because of the renovation...and they lose seating in the corners due to the round shape of the seating areas as they approach the two end zones. I'd say Breathitt probably will seat around 3,200.