Question for a Ref

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see both sides of this! However the worst thing that a ref can do is pay attention and/or listen to the fans or coaches. If they are listening to the crowd/coaches then they are not doing their job which is to ref the ballgame. I have also seen refs that are cocky and are on power trips. No I don't like this, but of course there are these type of people in every part of life. As I said I don't like it but there is really nothing I can do about it and like my father always said, "Life Isn't Fair!" I do feel that the refs that are on power trips and doing the job for the wrong reasons should be weeded out but we all know that refs are hard to come by. It's a job that few want to do so I would think that it would be hard to fire/release them from their duties! I personally don't see anything wrong with a fan yelling when there is a bad call. If the fans didn't love the game and their team then they would just sit their quietly and not care what happened. TEAM SPIRIT is why these fans are yelling and the refs should know going into the profession that being critiqued by everyone in the gym is to be expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a link to that either at KHSAA or NFHS??
Here is a link, to the NFHS and '05-'06 Point of Emphasis. Scroll down to "C" and it discusses fan behavior and the hosting school, should never let comments escalate toward an official, where that official feels he/she, should deal with it directly.

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2005/05/200506_points_of_emphasis.aspx

www.nfhs.org

I agree that fans should show sportsmanship. But I have been to numerous games throughout my life and this was the first time I have ever seen a guy removed from the gym for only saying "that was a horrible call."

I think officials have a tough job to do. I would not want to be an official. I respect 99% of all officials. But unfortunately there are a few who give the profession a bad name by overstepping their authority. Or in this case by going on some power trip.

Here is a link, to the NFHS and '05-'06 Point of Emphasis. Scroll down to "C" and it discusses fan behavior and the hosting school, should never let comments escalate toward an official, where that official feels he/she, should deal with it directly.

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2005/05/200506_points_of_emphasis.aspx

www.nfhs.org

Thanks for the link strike 3.

The way I read this supports my case that the official was wrong to remove the guy from the gym for merely saying that was a horrible call. The administration should have had him removed. The problem was if the administration removed him for what he said they would have to have removed the other 148 people that was in the stands.

God bless the officials, and Its a shame a few have to tarnish the profession.

I will say this and be quiet:

I am glad Refs do not access technicals to the teams for the fans behavior. It has been several years since I have seen this done. As a matter of fact it was in the middle 80's since I seen this happen. You shouldn't punish the team for the fans conduct.

Does a Ref have the right to throw anybody out of the gym,for any reason?? or do they have to do something to warrant being ask to leave?......I was at a basketball game last night and after a very contraversial(sp)no call a fan 20 rows up and 50ft away shouts " That was pitiful ref" the ref walks 50ft down court and points at the fan and says your out of here...this was the first words the fan had spoken all night, and I could understand if the fan cursed or threatened a ref, but this is simply not the case. I see fans boo and shout at the refs all the time its part of the game. If a ref has no tuffer skin than that, then why is he out there anyway...
If they are that thin skinned and weak I dont believe they should be allowed to ref a game in any region

If you can't raise a little cain with the refs, where is the fun? No name calling, no cursing, no badgering, but gimme a break. If it's a bad call, it's a bad call. If the refs don't care who wins, who cares what the fans say? I have seen refs that are obviously tainted against some teams, or favor certain players. No question about it. Most of the time none of them really know what the hell is going on anyway, so it usually evens out!:banana:

Than u go do it! Even if that wast the "first words" said to the ref, what gives him a right to even say that?

I have said this a million time's!! Fan's are just being fan's for the most part!

Just like ref's(and every other profession in world) there are good one's and bad one's! More good than bad. I wouldn't go to a game if I couldn't scream holler and have fun!! Here is the actual khsaa reading: Game official's have been instructed to penalize, without warning, profanity, racial or ethnic comment's,trash talkingor intimidatingaction's directed at the officials, athlete's or coach's. These action's will not be tolerated and are ground's for removal from site of competition. This doe's not say if a fan is voicing his opinion on how he saw a call, and your having a bad day throw him out!! Referee's have a hard job, that is a given, but they do make bad call's every game and they make good call's every game. What give's him the right to say that is, he paid his money to get in it's not against Khsaa rule's and the ref shouldn't pay any attention to fan's anyway unless they are trying to cause

trouble, get on floor, or breaking above rule's. Being a fan is part of the game, and saying(screaming) that was a walk not a charge is one man's opinion and shouldn't effect ref unless fan gets in his space which is floor! I saw a ref one night come up to super of school grin real big, and say, I believe i'll throw someone out tonight!! He did!!! 2:21 left in game(i'm still standing with super 9ft from victim:D )he throw's out a 16 year old kid who's "sitting" on front row and holler's "C'MON REF NO WAY THAT'S A WALK! I would go on to say that 95 out of a 100 ignore's the average very loud fan, but there are some out there who are on a power trip, and the dude who started this thread witness'd it!!!!!! :thumb:

P.S I would say if there weren't any fan's to cheer them on the kid's wouldn't play, then the ref wouldn't have his little side job, which i'm sure cover's a few small bill's if he goe's 2 or 3 night's a week!! Moral of story is :

Throw out the troublemaker's and let the "real fan's" WHOOOOP IT UP!!!

I see fans boo and shout at the refs all the time its part of the game. If a ref has no tuffer skin than that, then why is he out there anyway...

What makes you think that's part of the game? Adults paying five bucks to sit in the bleachers and yell at other adults has nothing to do with the game of basketball. Fans should stick to cheering and let the coaches coach and the officials officiate, then the game would be in a better state.

And why should officials have to have tougher skin than anyone else? They're already doing a difficult job that requires a lot of concentration, why should they have to listen to insults from people who couldn't begin to do their job?

I saw the same thing happen at a game this weekend. A fan shouted "that was a horrible call" and the ref had him removed from the gym. Those were the first words he said to the ref. IMO refs like that are yellow bellied cowards.

You'll have to explain this to me like I'm a four-year-old I guess.:confused: Seems to me letting someone yell at you would be cowardly. Taking action against someone insulting you seems assertative from where I stand.

Maybe if a few more loudmouths get tossed, fans will start to realize it's not a right to yell at officials. High school athletics is not a service industry. You get to watch the game for five bucks, but that doesn't not entitle anyone to act like an idiot and expect those involved with the event to have to grin and bear it.

I might not have a problem with the "loudmouth" fans it they used the majority of their time cheering on their team. In too many cases, this fan dogs the officials, yells at and puts down the opposing team, but rarely says anything positive about their own team. Several student sections are the exact same way. I have attended a couple of games that I didn't know the students section had a "voice" until the opposing team made an air ball.

Moral of THIS story: Spend the majority of your time (not just in basketball, but in life) bringing your players up, rather than trying to put down others (refs, opposing team, etc) and you are okay by me.

You'll have to explain this to me like I'm a four-year-old I guess.:confused: Seems to me letting someone yell at you would be cowardly. Taking action against someone insulting you seems assertative from where I stand.

Maybe if a few more loudmouths get tossed, fans will start to realize it's not a right to yell at officials. High school athletics is not a service industry. You get to watch the game for five bucks, but that doesn't not entitle anyone to act like an idiot and expect those involved with the event to have to grin and bear it.

I called him a coward, because if I called him what I really thought he was I would be breaking several BGP rules.( language not appropriate for a four year old)

I think he was cowardly to overstep his authority and hide behind his whistle. This official is a Barny Fife want to be.. that was lazy...used bad judgement...and was on a power trip.

..... There was a fan that had watched 3 quarters of basketball and not said one word to an official all night. Half way through the 3rd quarter the official missed a call and it was obvious he missed it. There was 50 people that BOOED , said your crazy, You've got to be kidding....

my friend said " that was a horrible call" and he was ask to leave the gym.