Question for a Ref

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooooooo. Another post I can sink my teeth into!

When I was on the floor, the crowd was a very low priority. Especially when they were not right on top of me! I felt like they paid their money and deserved a few "shots" at me. So comments, like raindrops off a ducks back, slid where they were supposed to, the gutter!

Now, if a fan happened to be close enough to the floor, I can think of very few times I spoke to them or even acknowledged them. I do recall one time I gave a suttle little comment to one man on the front row: I had been asked to do a JV game as well as having the varsity game afterward (one of the JV refs got hurt or something), so I did it, as it was a long trip and geting there early was no problem for me. There was a gent on the front row who was giving me a little more than I usually take (said in the kindest of tones), so I merely said this to him: "Sir, I'll be here for the Varsity game as well...would you like to be"? He shut up, sat there and said nothing for the rest of the night!

As for thin skinned Refs: There are alot of them. Some can't stand critisism of any kind. Some of them just have to throw their weight around (and boy is that a big throw for some of them I have seen lately)! I never threw a fan out unless I felt that my safety was at an issue or they called mom names. Some throw people out just for calling them pitiful! Heck, there were nights I WAS pitiful! I didn't need HIM/HER telling me that!

Not every official can practice "tunnel vision" when it comes to being on the floor. I treated fans like coaches sometimes: If they were coaching and things, I left them alone. If the coaches started coaching me, then I paid a little more attention to them to see if I could help them undstand what I was doing. If they got totally out of control, they got one chance to correct his/her behavior. If they didn't take the chance, they got to watch the game film/highlights later!

Hope this helps (and gives a chuckle or two)!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I saw the same thing happen at a game this weekend. A fan shouted "that was a horrible call" and the ref had him removed from the gym. Those were the first words he said to the ref. IMO refs like that are yellow bellied cowards.

Than u go do it! Even if that wast the "first words" said to the ref, what gives him a right to even say that?

[/b]

Because it was a horrible call. :eek:

You have never made a mistake at your job? And I bet when you did, you didn't have 1000's of people yelling at you about it. How much harder would your job be if everything you did was being watched and criticized by 1000's of people?

As Strike3 said, anyone who becomes an official is not a coward, its the people in the stands who go crazy because they know there is no consequence for what they do.

You have never made a mistake at your job? And I bet when you did, you didn't have 1000's of people yelling at you about it. How much harder would your job be if everything you did was being watched and criticized by 1000's of people?

As Strike3 said, anyone who becomes an official is not a coward, its the people in the stands who go crazy because they know there is no consequence for what they do.

I agree with you here, and most of those 1000 would be a bigtime joke if they were brought down to the floor and attempted to call a game. I 've never called any level game but respect the ones that do.

I have respect for anyone who is an official. However I believe one of the first things you learn is not to Rabbit ear. As hard as it may be fans are going to yell regardless, if you call a great game or a poor game. You can't let fans dictate how you call a game and some officials get to personal with a teams fan and then make some bad calls to show the fans they are the ones in charge, this is wrong IMO.

If you are going to officiate you have to understand that everyone is against you and you have to over look that as hard as it may be.

I disagree I believe this guy was a coward. I believe he was a Rabbit earrred , yellow belly coward for throwing the guy out of the gym. He overreacted in a big time way.

Sure I have made mistakes at my job. But when someone said you made a mistake I didnt have them removed from the building.

You say 1000s of people yelling at you. Well my point is this, how do you single out one guy. This guy yelled " That was a horrible call" , He didn't say you a horrible ref, He didn't talk about his momma, he didn't use any profanity. The referee was just plain wrong to have the guy removed from the gym.

Now if there is a guy who berates a ref over and over again, threatens a ref, then I would agree he needs to be removed from the gym. But to throw someone out for voicing their disapproval of a call is COWARDLY.

I think officials have a tough job. I don't blame losses on them.

I disagree I believe this guy was a coward. I believe he was a Rabbit earrred , yellow belly coward for throwing the guy out of the gym. He overreacted in a big time way.

Sure I have made mistakes at my job. But when someone said you made a mistake I didnt have them removed from the building.

You say 1000s of people yelling at you. Well my point is this, how do you single out one guy. This guy yelled " That was a horrible call" , He didn't say you a horrible ref, He didn't talk about his momma, he didn't use any profanity. The referee was just plain wrong to have the guy removed from the gym.

Now if there is a guy who berates a ref over and over again, threatens a ref, then I would agree he needs to be removed from the gym. But to throw someone out for voicing their disapproval of a call is COWARDLY.

I think officials have a tough job. I don't blame losses on them.

KHSAA has a conduct statement which applies to Players and Coaches, in addition there are conduct rules regarding spectators, from both the NFHS and KHSAA.

When a person chooses to speak whay they are thinking, they must live with their actions. Officials or School personnel, can and will remove offenders.