Question for a Ref

Does a Ref have the right to throw anybody out of the gym,for any reason?? or do they have to do something to warrant being ask to leave?......I was at a basketball game last night and after a very contraversial(sp)no call a fan 20 rows up and 50ft away shouts " That was pitiful ref" the ref walks 50ft down court and points at the fan and says your out of here...this was the first words the fan had spoken all night, and I could understand if the fan cursed or threatened a ref, but this is simply not the case. I see fans boo and shout at the refs all the time its part of the game. If a ref has no tuffer skin than that, then why is he out there anyway...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the same thing happen at a game this weekend. A fan shouted "that was a horrible call" and the ref had him removed from the gym. Those were the first words he said to the ref. IMO refs like that are yellow bellied cowards.

And VERY little accountability for their actions.

Agreed. I know there are a lot of good refs. But it appears to me that some of them are "crazed with power".

There is a young ref. in Lexington that played pick-up ball against my son a few years ago. For whatever reason this ref. trash talked at the pick up games, etc. and my son probably told him to shut up. Now that he referees JV this year and freshman ball last year, my son might as well just stay on the bench. Only games in two years he has fouled out is when this kid referees. I can only hope he doesn't get moved up to varsity games.

I agree alot of officals are thin skinned, but they are a necessary part of any game. I wonder how someone 20 rows up thinks they can see the floor as well as an offical on the floor anyway. As the old saying goes an offical is 50% right or wrong on most every call.

Well, if that's the case perhaps you are right! Maybe this particular ref had what we in the profession call rabbit ears! With that said I find it tough to believe that a ref could even be able to locate a fan that is 20 rows up and 50 feet away especially in a crowded gym!I know from personal experience that fans can sometimes get excited over calls that they think are "bad" calls

but typically there's more to the call than there appears to be. I listen to fans all the time whether I'm calling the game or if i'm in the gym watching,and it really is amazing the stuff the "fans" come up with. I know that everyone thinks that they know the game, but there are rule changes every year to make the game either quicker or more scoring friendly! The game has evolved a ton since most of us on this site played or coached. The guys in stripes are out on the floor as many as 4 or 5 nights a week and then their associations usually have a rules meeting twice a month as well. So these people put in a lot of time and money into High School athletics.And I realize most fans think these guys are making money to take this abuse, but it's not what you think! Love of the game is the response I hear the most whenever asked why do you call in high school! So to get off the soap box and answer your question the official does have the authority to have fans removed! And maybe... just maybe that fan was just the one who took the brunt of a long season. And I'll bet you that 9 times out of 10 when the fans get fired up on a call that everyone thinks the officials blew,those very same men or women calling the game,will admit that maybe we did miss it! Remember only three people are watching the game with their eyes ... everyone else is watching with their hearts!!

I would be the first to admit we have to take the good calls with the bad. I am also not one to use poor officiating as an excuse for a loss.

As long as this game has been around fans have vented in the stands about perceived "bad calls".

If they are not charging the floor or using profanity, there is no reason to single fans out, and definately no reason for Refs to talk directly to fans. Most fans get it out of there system and move on.

I have posted earlier this year that it is becoming the standard to pay three persons to officiate games. I sometimes question whether games are better officiated by three compared to two. Is it money well spent?

I'll agree with you for the most part but if you wait till they charge the floor chances are it'll be to late!As far as the three ref system if you use that system all year long the officiating wiil get better IMO,but when you have regions that use both 2 and 3 man systems it takes a little bit of time to adjust. Remember coverage areas and responsibilities change in those systems.Now i'm not a ref lover and I cannot vouch for all officials,but in my region I can tell you you won't meet anyone more professional or prepared. However youth and inexperience does factor into the equation!