Too Many Games

tcjkbt

I heard tonight that Ballard cannot play any more regular season games because they have already played the maximum allowed by the KHSAA. Is this true, does anyone know? If so, are there any other teams in the same boat? I heard in Ballard's case this was caused by their advancing deep into many tournaments.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard tonight that Ballard cannot play any more regular season games because they have already played the maximum allowed by the KHSAA. Is this true, does anyone know? If so, are there any other teams in the same boat? I heard in Ballard's case this was caused by their advancing deep into many tournaments.

I dont know if this is true or not but I didnt thing tournaments counted as games. I thought Single Elmination tournaments were 1 game and double elmination tournaments counted as 2. Not for sure that just what I thought.:thumb:

I dont know if this is true or not but I didnt thing tournaments counted as games. I thought Single Elmination tournaments were 1 game and double elmination tournaments counted as 2. Not for sure that just what I thought.:thumb:

You are correct on how tourneys are counted. So, if the LIT is a one-and-out, then that's one game regardless of how many a team played. Someone must not have understood how those games are counted if , in fact, they have already reached their limit.

Looking at their schedule, this appears to be true. You are allowed to play a total of 23 games, and you may count two tournaments as only one game provided you don't play more than four games in those tournaments. The maximum number of regular season games you could play under any scenario would be 29 games.

You are correct on how tourneys are counted. So, if the LIT is a one-and-out, then that's one game regardless of how many a team played. Someone must not have understood how those games are counted if , in fact, they have already reached their limit.

Alright. :thumb: Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't 100% sure.

Alright. :thumb: Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't 100% sure.

I checked out their schedule and by my count, they would be credited with 22 games. Their overall record is now 27-2 including tonight's game but they played in 2 2-and-outs and 1 1-and-out.

I'm guessing they are not over the limit.

I checked out their schedule and by my count, they would be credited with 22 games. Their overall record is now 27-2 including tonight's game but they played in 2 2-and-outs and 1 1-and-out.

I'm guessing they are not over the limit.

You are only allowed to count two tournaments as only one game.

Here is a link to the KHSAA handbook explaining this rule:

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw25bysport/bl25bk.pdf

Seems like this happens to teams every year. Being off a week and a half could really hurt a team at this point in the season. It seems to me that these Holiday tournaments are the cause. Teams need to do a better job of counting their games so this does not happen. If I were a coach I think I would rather have my team playing next week instead of having practice.

ElGato beat me to it but only two tournaments may be counted as one game. And that is only if there are no more than four games played in the tournament.

Per the KHSAA rule book:

4) No member school shall play more than twenty-three

(23) basketball games during the regular season.

A maximum of two (2) tournaments may be included

in any manner other than counting each game played

against the limit of twenty-three (23) games. Any two

tournaments played during the regular season may be

counted as one game per tournament against the limit

of twenty-three (23) provided that neither tournament

necessitates the team playing more than four (4)

games. Any game played over the limit of four in any one

tournament shall be counted against the limit of twentythree

(23) games

You are only allowed to count two tournaments as only one game.

Here is a link to the KHSAA handbook explaining this rule:

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw25bysport/bl25bk.pdf

Good info. I must be thinking of a different sport (soccer maybe) that counts it as I described.

So by my count, tonight's game put Ballard at the max for the regular season.

Ballard doesnt play again til district. I think Male has over scheduled. If you count two tournaments with a maximum of 4 games as one, do you have to count a tournament with 5 games as individual games. On the KSAA website it has Male as playing 5 games in the 5th/3rd. That would mean the KOB and the Toyota Classic would only count as 1 game each. The rest of the games would be counted individually and I count Male with 24.

Ballard doesnt play again til district.
Ballard is at the limit because they went all the way to the finals of the LIT. If they had been beaten in the semifinals, they could have played one game next week.

I think Male has over scheduled. If you count two tournaments with a maximum of 4 games as one, do you have to count a tournament with 5 games as individual games. On the KSAA website it has Male as playing 5 games in the 5th/3rd. That would mean the KOB and the Toyota Classic would only count as 1 game each. The rest of the games would be counted individually and I count Male with 24.
Male is not overscheduled. They have 20 games on the schedule aside from the 5/3 and the LIT ... the fifth game at the 5/3 puts them at the limit of 21.

You can count any two tournaments as one game ... because Male played more in the LIT and 5/3, those are the ones that count as tournaments.

In total with the regional and state, how many games are played?

You could play a maximum of 29 in the regular season, 2 in the district (or possibly 3 in a five team district), 3 in the region, and 4 in the Sweet 16. That would be a possible 38 or 39 games total.

Didn't Ballard run into this problem five or six years ago as well? I may be mistakent, but didn't they have to cancel a late season game with Male or Eastern because they'd reached the game limit? I'm thinking it was back when Bender played at Ballard and Male was also loaded with Bush and company.