2007 Johnson Central

theguru

JC, Class 5A District 6, is in possibly the toughest Region in Class 5A being lumped together with Highlands and Cov. Cath who are in Class 5A District 5. But with the way the playoff pairings are set up JC, considering it was to win it first 2 playoff games against its own district, would play District 7 for the Region 4 Title while District 5 would play District 8 for the Region 3 Title which means JC, considering it could win its first 3 playoff games would not face Highlands or Cov. Cath until the semi's just as this past year.

Maybe this will explain it better.

http://www.khsaa.org/football/playoffpairings.pdf

After looking at that I will still stand by my previous post.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J.C. is going to have some trouble replacing Johnson and Tackett. Grimm is an excellent back and should carry them during the regular season but I dont look for them to make another deep run into the playoffs. Im going to predict a loss in the second round.

JC has some shoes to fill, but has a lot of talent coming back from a regional championship team. No disrespect to last seasons team, but I think they will be better next season. I'm not saying they will go any further because I feel like they will have to improve their passing game to go any further. The personell is there for JC to be very good for the forseable future.

J.C. is going to have some trouble replacing Johnson and Tackett. Grimm is an excellent back and should carry them during the regular season but I dont look for them to make another deep run into the playoffs. Im going to predict a loss in the second round.

I agree that both Johnson and Tackett were huge assests to this past years defensive success. They will be sorely missed both on and off the field, they were great field generals. But JC does have the talent and personnel to replace this two and barely miss a beat. I expect Nathanial Dials may go back to LB from his DE position and that Brady Hamilton will step in at the other LB position, and due to JC handily teams so early in the games this year, he gained lots of valuable PT at the Varsity level.

Tackett was used very limited on the offensive side of the ball as a blocking TE while Johnson was the workhorse on the offensive side and was nearly a guaranteed 3-4 yds everytime he touched the ball. Chase Richardson, who was the third back in JC wishbone, will step in the FB position and will do very well while I expect Sophomore Nathan Dillon will complete the wishbone with Grimm as the feature back.

JC does have the pieces in place to be a great football team next year, and although the road will be a little tougher this year than last year, I think the experience these kids gained was very benefical and will pay great dividends this year on the field.

Well back up your post and tell everyone why you believe that JCHS will not make it out of the region.

I just think that Matney wont open the offense up enough to keep teams from stacking the line. Thats it. For anyone to say that JC is going to go to the state chamionship for sure it just not thinking clearly. Just have to wait and see how the team comes together and how well they play. As long as Cov Cath and Highlands are in the way of JC getting to Louisville, I just dont see it happening for them.

On Matney he is about as predictable as Chuke. Whenever all else fails he goes back to what he knows best and that is the double tight-end wishbone. Once CovCath stopped everything else for JC last year, they knew they had them beat because Matney wouldn't change anything up.

I just think that Matney wont open the offense up enough to keep teams from stacking the line. Thats it. For anyone to say that JC is going to go to the state chamionship for sure it just not thinking clearly. Just have to wait and see how the team comes together and how well they play. As long as Cov Cath and Highlands are in the way of JC getting to Louisville, I just dont see it happening for them.

On Matney he is about as predictable as Chuke. Whenever all else fails he goes back to what he knows best and that is the double tight-end wishbone. Once CovCath stopped everything else for JC last year, they knew they had them beat because Matney wouldn't change anything up.

Hard to argue against the running game considering JCHS won 13 games and btw....Cov Cath didn't stop the JCHS running game. When you compile over 350 yds on the ground it is hard to say they ever stopped JCHS.

With Ratliff being a senior and all the experience he gained last season, I can see the Eagles throwing it more often this season.

But hey when you got a 2800 yd. rusher back it will be hard not let him carry the load again.

I know its kind of off topic, but it could help with keeping kids.

Construction began last week on the new football stadium. They have removed the track which will be built back regulation size, will be adding visitors bleachers and a large building at the end of the stadium which will house new concession, home and visitor locker rooms, film room and coaches office. I heard it will be very similar to the one Belfry has. I heard the home bleachers will not be done until after next season. With these new facilities it will help keep the athletes.

I know its kind of off topic, but it could help with keeping kids.

Construction began last week on the new football stadium. They have removed the track which will be built back regulation size, will be adding visitors bleachers and a large building at the end of the stadium which will house new concession, home and visitor locker rooms, film room and coaches office. I heard it will be very similar to the one Belfry has. I heard the home bleachers will not be done until after next season. With these new facilities it will help keep the athletes.

I seen this as well driving by the stadium the other day. Anyone have an idea of when it is to be done? And you are correct about the home bleachers, it will be completed after next season and the practice facility as well.

Hard to argue against the running game considering JCHS won 13 games and btw....Cov Cath didn't stop the JCHS running game. When you compile over 350 yds on the ground it is hard to say they ever stopped JCHS.

With Ratliff being a senior and all the experience he gained last season, I can see the Eagles throwing it more often this season.

But hey when you got a 2800 yd. rusher back it will be hard not let him carry the load again.

I am in Johnson County a lot and people who live up there still say that Matney wouldnt change his game and wouldnt pass the ball to spread CovCath out. That is why CovCath beat them. CovCath did stop the JC offense considering they did have 350+ yards but still only scored 14 points. You dont win games on yardage gained. I will gladly let a team have 1,000 yards in a game on the ground if they only score 14 points. Sounds like they stopped it to me. When Matney refused to go to the air and with Johnson going out then all CovCath had to do was pin their ears back and bring the heat. I think Matney is a great "MOUNTAIN" coach but when you have to get to different regions considering NKY and Louisville, you better be able to throw it around. Matney has never been big on throwing it and until he does then I dont see JC getting to the carpet anytime soon considering the class they are in.

On Grimm having 2800 yards is a good thing to have in the backfield at any level. But when Johnson went out, CovCath didnt worry about the FB dive on the veer or belly and went straight to Grimm. Granted he still had a GREAT game but once you have to look out for just one person on a team then that it makes it a lot easier in stopping an offense. When Lawrence County had their great years they had all the talent in the world but couldn't beat anyone out of the mountains in the playoffs because once Chuke got it in his mind to run,run,run and teams put 9 guys in the box then you have to learn to go to something. If Matney would just spread it out some and keep teams from bringing the heat then I say JC will go as deep in the playoffs as they want.

I am in Johnson County a lot and people who live up there still say that Matney wouldnt change his game and wouldnt pass the ball to spread CovCath out. That is why CovCath beat them. CovCath did stop the JC offense considering they did have 350+ yards but still only scored 14 points. You dont win games on yardage gained. I will gladly let a team have 1,000 yards in a game on the ground if they only score 14 points. Sounds like they stopped it to me. When Matney refused to go to the air and with Johnson going out then all CovCath had to do was pin their ears back and bring the heat. I think Matney is a great "MOUNTAIN" coach but when you have to get to different regions considering NKY and Louisville, you better be able to throw it around. Matney has never been big on throwing it and until he does then I dont see JC getting to the carpet anytime soon considering the class they are in.

On Grimm having 2800 yards is a good thing to have in the backfield at any level. But when Johnson went out, CovCath didnt worry about the FB dive on the veer or belly and went straight to Grimm. Granted he still had a GREAT game but once you have to look out for just one person on a team then that it makes it a lot easier in stopping an offense. When Lawrence County had their great years they had all the talent in the world but couldn't beat anyone out of the mountains in the playoffs because once Chuke got it in his mind to run,run,run and teams put 9 guys in the box then you have to learn to go to something. If Matney would just spread it out some and keep teams from bringing the heat then I say JC will go as deep in the playoffs as they want.

You are right on many sections of your post but Cov. Cath had no answer for the JC running attack until Johnson went down, then the wheels started to fall off as you suggested. Next year JC will be just as effective with Richardson as the fullback and Dillon as the other back in the wishbone.

But I believe you will see more of a passing attack this year than most Matney teams have had. QB Ratliff now has one year of experience under his belt and a stronger frame this season. I expect JC will spread the ball out more this season with Dials, Welch, and Dillon as his passing threats. As you suggested, JC has the pieces in place to be very successful, and I expect Matney knows what it is at hand with this team and will use this offseason very wisely.

You are right on many sections of your post but Cov. Cath had no answer for the JC running attack until Johnson went down, then the wheels started to fall off as you suggested. Next year JC will be just as effective with Richardson as the fullback and Dillon as the other back in the wishbone.

But I believe you will see more of a passing attack this year than most Matney teams have had. QB Ratliff now has one year of experience under his belt and a stronger frame this season. I expect JC will spread the ball out more this season with Dials, Welch, and Dillon as his passing threats. As you suggested, JC has the pieces in place to be very successful, and I expect Matney knows what it is at hand with this team and will use this offseason very wisely.

Sounds good, I am not a JC basher at all. I went to their playoff games rooting for them even against CovCath. I just tell what I saw at thats the best I can do. I wish JC the best and would love to see them make it to the carpet. Good Luck JC this fall.:thumb: