Open Job: Bardstown

Hearsay

David Clark has today publicly announced he is stepping down as head coach of the Bardstown High School varsity football team, effective immediately.  Nothing nefarious or anything, it was just time.

David has been the head coach for the past 17 seasons, and has been with the program for now over 27 years.  Remarkably, he is just the 4th head coach (excluding the WW2 years) at Bardstown since the late 1920's.  While his last gasp at getting a state title fell short last season, under Clark Bardstown has been a perennial contender for some time.  More importantly, David Clark is a moral man who has been a dependable role model for several generations of young players, and has built the Tiger program from the bottom up.  One of the stats I am most proud of for David is that of the 56 players on the roster for last year's state title run, 53 of those players were homegrown and played football for Bardstown Middle School.

He will remain as the school district's Athletic Director.

The team remaining behind will return its QB, its top 2 wideouts, all 5 offensive lineman, the entire starting linebacking corps and most of the secondary, as well as two kickers.  They have to replace Tyleeq Williams (irreplaceable) and some really good defensive lineman.

Congratulations, David, on a fantastic career doing it the right way.

No word, rumors, or even innuendo on what the district might do by way of a replacement.  There are quality assistants in the wings (remember the job that staff did last year with all of the injuries?) if the district looks internally.  Bardstown is a plum job and pays teachers in the top 5% of the state.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This caught me off guard. I knew he was thinking of stepping away from the field but did not expect it today. Coach Clark is a fantastic role model and person who leads by example on and off the field. The success of his teams speak for itself. My son played two years for Coach Clark and I am thankful for the time he spent with him. A fair man of Character who did what was right for the players. Bardstown Football is going to miss him greatly. Congrats Coach Clark on a job well done. I guess you are semi retired. Take care.  

• Like 1

Coach Clark is one of the most respected coaches in the state. Very interested to see who takes over this job. Lots of talent but losing TyTy will make it a little bit harder to get rolling week 1. Expect Bardstown to be very competitive next year with the right coach. 

If they do not hire in house I would not be surprised to see Travis Burns BC DC gain some interest here. I know that Chuck Smith has plenty of ties to the Bardstown community and the school itself having coached for a season with Coach Clark. Coach Burns is a Chuck Smith protege and I would not be surprised if Chuck actually recommends this job to Burns or Burns to the people doing the hiring in Bardstown.

• Like 3