Covington Catholic 61 Holmes 0

7 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Cov Cath's official stats show the Colonels with 21 offensive plays in the game and 498 total yards (226 passing, 272 rushing). The Colonels with a total of 6 completed passes in the game for 226 yards (37.7 yards per completion) and 4 touchdowns. They threw the ball 10 times.

I know there aren't any records kept for "most efficient offense" at Cov Cath, but man oh man, 21 plays for 498 yards. That's an average of 23.7 yards per offensive snap, and just shy of 1 touchdown for every 2 offensive plays. That's pretty wild when you look at how many plays were either completely manned by the Colonels' backups, or played with a heavily substituted offense. And Cov Cath was playing tonight without 4 significantly contributing starters: TE/LB Willie Rodriguez, RB Owen Leen, OL/DL Mason Edwards, and TE/LB Josh Flood.

The Colonels' stats crew shows Holmes with 82 yards offense (83 rushing, -1 rushing).

1. I'm glad the Colonels won.

2. I'm glad the backups who work very hard in practice got a chance to shine.

3. If such records were kept there should be a BIG ASTERISK by this one.

4. The Colonels beat an 0-6 4A school that only dressed about 25 players that allegedly "showed up" about  5 minutes before kickoff.

6. In context this game was not so much about the offensive prowess as it was about the opponents weakness.

7 I feel sorry for the Bulldogs

8. End of rant.

• Like 2

I hate seeing the Bulldogs in this state. I feel terrible for the kids who do show up and want to play, and the families who invest their time in the team. That community has a ton of potential and it’s a shame that they don’t recognize it, or are unable to tap into it. I don’t know how you fix it but I’d love to see it happen. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Socially Distanced said:

Hey Cov Cath, I think Holmes has had enough! That's a lot to a little. Was the running clock not working? 

The running clock was working. And Cov Cath started working backups into the game as early as their second series of the game (not to mention the fact that they were already having to play with backups for Rodriguez, Leen, Mason, and Flood.) Cov Cath only threw the ball once, maybe twice in the second half. And they only had a total of 21 offensive snaps in the game.

This is a similar position to where Cov Cath and Highlands found themselves in 2011 & 2012 when they shared the same 4A district with Holmes, Harrison County and Pendleton County. Even just giving the starters a few reps to keep themselves tuned up and then subbing in the backups, it was still a landslide win. What's the answer? Don't let the starters play at all against those teams? Tell your offense to just start taking a knee every snap once they reach a certain score? Tell the other schools to drop out of district competition?

Covington Catholic 2011:
Cov Cath 56 Harrison County 7
Cov Cath 60 Holmes 0
Cov Cath 64 Pendleton County 0

Highlands 2011:
Highlands 68 Harrison County 0
Highlands 77 Holmes 0
Highlands 79 Pendleton County 0

Covington Catholic 2012:
Cov Cath 61 Harrison County 0
Cov Cath 49 Holmes 28
Cov Cath 70 Pendleton County 0

Highlands 2012:
Highlands 69 Harrison County 10
Highlands 57 Holmes 28
Highlands 70 Pendleton County 0

7 hours ago, DoubleDuce said:

1. I'm glad the Colonels won.

2. I'm glad the backups who work very hard in practice got a chance to shine.

3. If such records were kept there should be a BIG ASTERISK by this one.

4. The Colonels beat an 0-6 4A school that only dressed about 25 players that allegedly "showed up" about 5 minutes before kickoff.

6. In context this game was not so much about the offensive prowess as it was about the opponents weakness.

7 I feel sorry for the Bulldogs

8. End of rant.

I get what you're saying. I don't really disagree, either. I don't know that there was anyone at the game on the Cov Cath side of the field who didn't feel bad for the Bulldogs. And also for what it's worth, there definitely is no such record kept by Cov Cath.

And there's no "allegedly" about Holmes only showing up about 5 minutes before kickoff. From the predictions/updates thread for the game:

21 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

National Anthem is playing with 10 minutes and 32 seconds until kickoff....and the Holmes team is yet to arrive in Park Hills.

21 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Holmes enters the stadium with 4:18 until kickoff. 

6️⃣8️⃣🔹1️⃣2️⃣ It appears Holmes is having a down year after four successive winning seasons. As a fan of their rivalry with CCH across all sports over many years, I'm sorry the breaks aren't going their way. Very good teams can score a lot of points against little resistance, and that seems to be the case here. 

I'm not sure how much of a factor the Colonels play in the aforementioned issues the Bulldogs have with their Classification/Districting, roster size, or transportation and pregame routine. As to community support, if I remember correctly from the update thread, Holmes fans on their side of the field was 11, and that's a shame. 

A link to a game from just last year, for those concerned with the amount of points on the board.

🔗 bluegrasspreps.com/2023_Holmes_68-Grant_County_12

61 points allowed does not make the top five for the Bulldogs in the last 25+ seasons. 

Holmes' opponents have put up 50 or more 16 times - all Bulldogs losses. Traditionally strong programs have had the most success crossing the goal line: Highlands 5, Cov Cath 3, and Johnson Central 2; Beechwood, Lex Cath, and Ashland among those with one each.

Holmes has scored 50 or more 20 times - all Bulldogs wins wins. So this seems like a strength vs. opponents issue in any given year. 

Link to Holmes' KHSAA team page 

🔗 khsaa/kyfb23/Holmes 

I'm a fan of facts based graphics, so if I may equivocate a bit more from "The Scoreboard Era": 1. Holmes' best scoring season - 2010. 2. Their series records vs. two truly smaller programs ~

Screenshot_20230923-162152__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230923-162203__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230923-153031__01.jpg

• Like 1

Holmes likes to do warm ups at Holmes before local away games, then board the bus fully padded and ready to go right before games start. I remember last year at Holmes they stayed in the locker room and were late to the field and received a 15 yard Flag prior to kick off for delay of game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Holmes likes to do warm ups at Holmes before local away games, then board the bus fully padded and ready to go right before games start. I remember last year at Holmes they stayed in the locker room and were late to the field and received a 15 yard Flag prior to kick off for delay of game.

Doesn't seem like it's asking that much to have both teams present and on the field or court for the national anthem. Maybe it is though.

• Like 1

So that’s enough time to make sure your players are legally equipped and discuss any potential trick plays you may run, with the officials? I get the warming up that close to home but I’d say to be on the field with at least 10 minutes to go, that’s just me.

People on this thread are feeling more sorry for Holmes than Holmes. They showed up, played hard, and just got outmanned.

Covcath won with class and dignity. No trash talk, no showboating. It was all clean football. 

• Like 6