Covington Catholic at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2023 at 11:30 PM

On 9/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Beechwood has had 123 points scored on them in their first 4 games this season. That's more points than they allowed in either of their previous 15-game football seasons. On the flipside of that, Beechwood has hung 188 points on their opponents, and currently is sitting on a 4-0 record after playing a GCL football team, two 6A football teams, and one 5A team.

Cov Cath also has a 4-0 record heading into Week 5, with wins over a pair of 6A teams and a pair of 5A teams. The Colonels had action packed and closely contested games against Highlands in Week 2 and on Friday night against Dixie, and have outscored their opponents 153-79.

The Tigers have an extremely pass-heavy offense this year and have come up with some high-octane scores at the end of their games, with an average of 47 points per game. The Colonels, who also lean passing (although not quite so hard as Beechwood) average 38 points per game. With both teams having close contests against Dixie, and both offenses with similar results against Simon Kenton, what can we expect to see when Cov Cath rolls into Fort Mitchell on Friday?

Beechwood vs CovCath.jpg

If CCH can defend against the passing game, then they will win big. I would say by two or three touchdowns.

CCH May have a better game plan slowing down the game and wearing down BW’s line than Dixie or SK.  Yes, BW probably has more 2-Way players as well.  But Chartman is right, if CCH doesn’t handle BW’s receivers it will be a closer game than what most of you are giving BW credit going into Friday’s game.  
I see CCH’s secondary similar to Dixie’s and SK’s.  Question is will CCH have a hardcore rusher such as Rice was for Dixie or SK’s defensive line was against BW the last two weeks have been.

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If Beechwood isn't effective passing the ball, it will be more than 2 or 3 touchdowns.

I feel like they’ll have success. Cov Cath hasn’t been a consistent defensive unit this year. They shut down SK which was impressive, and limiting Highlands to 21 in their own house was pretty solid as well. But Ryle had success moving the ball down the field against them and so did Dixie. I think Ryle is decent and Dixie is much, much better than their record, but still.

I think this is going to be a close game. Of course, I hope I’m wrong in that regard haha.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I had conversation about this with another Fort Mitchell native/Cov Cath grad friend of mine a year or two ago. Growing up and prior to high school, the Beechwood game always felt like it was far and away a bigger rivalry than the Highlands game did for me, as well as for the friend I just mentioned. And for both of us, although the Highlands game became clearly a bigger rivalry once we got to high school (and after high school), probably largely in part of the playoff and state championship implications, the Beechwood rivalry felt more personal than the Highlands game did...if that makes any sense.

I feel the same way. It’s somewhat of a 1a and 1b situation in terms of whats the bigger rivalry, especially when it came to the playoff implications when playing Highlands — but it’s very personal nonetheless. Any way you spin it, one of the best and classic rivalries of NKY football.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I had conversation about this with another Fort Mitchell native/Cov Cath grad friend of mine a year or two ago. Growing up and prior to high school, the Beechwood game always felt like it was far and away a bigger rivalry than the Highlands game did for me, as well as for the friend I just mentioned. And for both of us, although the Highlands game became clearly a bigger rivalry once we got to high school (and after high school), probably largely in part of the playoff and state championship implications, the Beechwood rivalry felt more personal than the Highlands game did...if that makes any sense.

8 minutes ago, ColonelGator said:

I feel the same way. It’s somewhat of a 1a and 1b situation in terms of whats the bigger rivalry, especially when it came to the playoff implications when playing Highlands — but it’s very personal nonetheless. Any way you spin it, one of the best and classic rivalries of NKY football.

As a Beechwood grad that grew up in both Covington and Fort Mitchell a lot of my friends went to CovCath.  And living in Fort Mitchell the CovCath game was always huge for us, probably the biggest game of the year.  That may be due in part to CovCath beating us in everything all the time.  It was personal. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

As a Beechwood grad that grew up in both Covington and Fort Mitchell a lot of my friends went to CovCath.  And living in Fort Mitchell the CovCath game was always huge for us, probably the biggest game of the year.  That may be due in part to CovCath beating us in everything all the time.  It was personal. 

I grew up with St. Henry friends and somehow CovCath was the biggest game on their schedule too. Seems like the Colonels are a big game on a lot of schedules. When I was at CovCath, seems the big rival in football was Highlands, with Boone, NewCath, and Beechwood in the next group.

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to Covington Catholic at Beechwood Predictions/Updates
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue locked this topic