Open Job: Russell County

36-51 record at GC doesn't scream great hire, but it is a difficult job.  The expectations of big success never happened, but the district GC plays in is a bear.  They did have 2 nice wins against DCA this year and a valiant effort in district tournament.

One big downside to Russell County job now is the addition to Monroe County in that district last year making it a 5 team district. Now you have Cumberland Co. who is up and down, Metcalfe who has been very solid the last 4-5 years, Clinton is down from normal but always solid, and then now Monroe who joined the district last year and was runner up. 

• Like 1

LethalPG, now that you put it that way...solid hire maybe?  I think Cooper can coach and the kids seem to like him but I would like to see how he does without the dynamic of coaching his son.  I honestly could see him being a better coach without that dynamic. 

10 minutes ago, Boyd_Blue said:

LethalPG, now that you put it that way...solid hire maybe?  I think Cooper can coach and the kids seem to like him but I would like to see how he does without the dynamic of coaching his son.  I honestly could see him being a better coach without that dynamic. 

Agree on both accounts.  I think they could've shared the pie a little better @ GC as far as shot distribution, and would've been better served.  But as far as RC goes it's a winnable district, so that's appealing.  Just not a winnable region...

10 minutes ago, ACfan4 said:

One big downside to Russell County job now is the addition to Monroe County in that district last year making it a 5 team district. Now you have Cumberland Co. who is up and down, Metcalfe who has been very solid the last 4-5 years, Clinton is down from normal but always solid, and then now Monroe who joined the district last year and was runner up. 

Having a fifth team definitely can make the road tougher, but Russell County is significantly larger than each of the other schools in that district.  50% more boys than Monroe, 63% more than Clinton County, 85% more than Metcalfe County, and 173% more than Cumberland County.  That was one driving factor behind the Lakers finding immediate success after languishing for years in the 12th Region.  They made five region tournaments in their final 18 seasons in the 12th, and then proceeded to make the first 13 playing in the 4th Region. 

I know in the past several years what has really ailed them is roster erosion.  Players disappearing to other programs, players not coming back out, just general youth and inexperience issues.  They had no seniors last year, and only two juniors.  They had a single senior the year before, not a significant contributor.  I know they lost Jay Milburn to Campbellsville prior to the 21/22 season, when Milburn had been their leading scorer the year before as a junior.  Things like that have hampered the program.  Any coach who comes in is going to be expected to address those types of issues, and if they can stop leakage, then in relatively short time - five team district or not - they'll be at least back in region tournaments.

On 4/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, LethalPG said:

36-51 record at GC doesn't scream great hire, but it is a difficult job.  The expectations of big success never happened, but the district GC plays in is a bear.  They did have 2 nice wins against DCA this year and a valiant effort in district tournament.

I was very impressed with the job Cooper did years ago when he was the Admirals JV coach under McKinney.  A lot of the talent he worked with was responsible for getting the Ads to pair of regional finals in 2019 and 2020.