Simon Kenton 62 Oldham County 50

1 minute ago, 4 Quarters said:

I strongly agree you on the NAIA route.

The only big kid that I can remember from the Commonwealth that has played in the NBA was Felton Spencer, and I'm not sure he was 7 foot when he was in HS.  Maybe Jim McDaniels had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

Spencer was 7 foot in HS...I called a couple of his games when Eastern faced Oldham County....  he was a real project coming out of HS, but certainly blossomed and ultimately was the starting center for the Utah Jazz.

Most of the other "7-footers" I can think of, just off the cuff, were - in actuality - around 6'10", 6'11".    Close enough to count as 7-footers to a shorty like me, but not truly 7 foot tall.

What about Dieonte Miles of Walton-Verona from a few years ago.....was he over 7 foot at the time, or more like 6'11"?

Of course, Bol Kuir and Gabe Dynes - both 7'3" - currently roam the KY high school hardwoods....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

Spencer was 7 foot in HS...I called a couple of his games when Eastern faced Oldham County....  he was a real project coming out of HS, but certainly blossomed and ultimately was the starting center for the Utah Jazz.

Most of the other "7-footers" I can think of, just off the cuff, were - in actuality - around 6'10", 6'11".    Close enough to count as 7-footers to a shorty like me, but not truly 7 foot tall.

What about Dieonte Miles of Walton-Verona from a few years ago.....was he over 7 foot at the time, or more like 6'11"?

Of course, Bol Kuir and Gabe Dynes - both 7'3" - currently roam the KY high school hardwoods....

Good call on Miles. Still at Xavier. Not playing a ton. 

1 hour ago, ColonelMike said:

Who really knows about Miles, one night he would be 7', the next night 6'10" or 6'11".  Same way with the Gibson kid this year at Cov. Holy Cross.

Did Jim McDaniels ever play in the NBA?

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Who really knows about Miles, one night he would be 7', the next night 6'10" or 6'11".  Same way with the Gibson kid this year at Cov. Holy Cross.

Did Jim McDaniels ever play in the NBA?

ABA and NBA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

Project is right.  I watched Eastern play E-town in the ‘86 state tournament, and pretty vividly remember Felton missing a dunk.  At 7’1!  After watching him I said that kid will never play at Louisville.  He of course did, then was the #6 overall pick in the 1990 NBA Draft, played 12 years at that level and made $18.7 million, if the Internet is true.  I’m not predicting anything like that for Dynes (given my Spencer prediction, he should be pleased!), but that kind of height is obviously rare, and he can’t be that far behind where Spencer was at that age.  How much weight can he put on and carry, how hungry is he, etc.

13 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Project is right.  I watched Eastern play E-town in the ‘86 state tournament, and pretty vividly remember Felton missing a dunk.  At 7’1!  After watching him I said that kid will never play at Louisville.  He of course did, then was the #6 overall pick in the 1990 NBA Draft, played 12 years at that level and made $18.7 million, if the Internet is true.  I’m not predicting anything like that for Dynes (given my Spencer prediction, he should be pleased!), but that kind of height is obviously rare, and he can’t be that far behind where Spencer was at that age.  How much weight can he put on and carry, how hungry is he, etc.

You're comparing apples and oranges, Spencer was a man child in HS.