Covington Holy Cross 74 Newport 72 (9th Region All "A" Finals)

2 minutes ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

Will McElheney was hurt to begin the season and hasn't started any games for Holy Cross. You might be thinking about Carson Reinersman who started a few games early when we were missing Matt Dreas for a few games and Javier Ward who missed a game. McElheney is just starting to get back to playing from his injury and has been playing "mainly" JV.

Thanks, I clearly had some stuff jumbled on my end, my apologies.  Congrats to your Indians, impressive to get both boys and girls to EKU for 2nd year in a row.  

• Like 1

When Sam Gibson picked up his 5th foul with still 3-4 minutes left I thought that was a big key to the Newport comeback late. I'm pretty sure it was an 8 or 10 point game when he fouled out and that opened up the paint for Newport and when they missed a shot were able to get the offensive rebounds and stick backs to get back in it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

When Sam Gibson picked up his 5th foul with still 3-4 minutes left I thought that was a big key to the Newport comeback late. I'm pretty sure it was an 8 or 10 point game when he fouled out and that opened up the paint for Newport and when they missed a shot were able to get the offensive rebounds and stick backs to get back in it.

Miller was a star last night and was incredibly good at the mid range jumper.  Say what you want, but I am not sure he gets enough credit.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Instride said:

Miller was a star last night and was incredibly good at the mid range jumper.  Say what you want, but I am not sure he gets enough credit.  

Could not agree more with this comment about Marquez Miller. I said it on the air numerous times last night on Holy Cross Radio, that the Freshman and young guys are tremendous but Miller is a beast and a senior who has been through tough games. Love the way that kid plays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brcatz said:

I don't see a kick at all. I see the Newport player trying to establish his footing as he comes down and the HC player is laying there when his foot comes down. I think the ref's call was on the HC player at first the way he is looking at it. Which should have been foul shots I believe for Newport, but then with the shoving match  so it went to the wayside. Not sure who they called a foul on or if they even did for the initial rebound scrum.

Maybe I'm not seeing it clearly but I see it the same as you.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

So, to that point, when Sam picked up his 4th foul at the 7 min mark of the fourth, why in the world did Coach leave him in?  Why not pull him and see how things go and then when they need him late, they can put him in?  I thought that was a poor decision because, yes, Miller had a field day once Gibson was on the bench. 

Also, why is this team unable to draw fouls?  6 FT attempts is not enough, especially when you have guys that can drive the basket and draw fouls like Ward and Meyer. They are going to have to do this at some point if they want to win meaningful games at EKU and or come districts/regional games. Do you agree Baseball Nut 24?

-CardinalsFan

• Like 1

Meyers got a good amount of his points taking it to the rim. His body control is as good as it gets at high school level. The refs let them play on both ends of the court. Well officiated game. One of the best high school basketball of the season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 51letitride said:

Meyers got a good amount of his points taking it to the rim. His body control is as good as it gets at high school level. The refs let them play on both ends of the court. Well officiated game. One of the best high school basketball of the season. 

Welcome to BGP @51letitride!

8 hours ago, Instride said:

Interesting.  you will mention the 1 and 1 but not the step on the head to get the tech.  it was a great game, officials let them play.  I would leave it at that.

Never did I say that the tech wasn’t deserved because it was. I’m just implying that it was an important part of the game. But I actually thought the officiating was pretty good last night. 

8 hours ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

The bad part is that this one play in the final second of the half is taking away from the high-level of championship game that BOTH teams put on display. Jacob Meyer was huge with 40 points. Marquez Miller with 28 was tremendous. Both teams will be a tough out come district and regional tournament time.

This is one of the best things I have seen in awhile.  I did not see the game, but seems to me it could certainly be a game of the year qualifier and this should not be what is focused on, but the tremendous effort it seems was thrown down by all athletes involved.  Congrats on everyone getting after it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

Your question about the lack of free throws we shoot (mainly Meyer & Ward) who get to the rim a lot is a valid question. I try to be unbiased but it’s been like this the last 2 years. I don’t want to get in any trouble so I will take the high road.

I think this issue, which can be applied to Ipsaro as well(not getting into a debate on whom is better as you can think what you want on that question), but both players players play with a level of speed, explosiveness, and physicality getting to the rim that is next level and not seen around here in maybe forever, which leads me to believe sometimes the refs are unsure how to call their explosiveness so they default to letting them play.  Which I think is a good thing as I am a let it play guy and the last thing I want is to see refs try and coral talents like Meyer or Ipsaro or any number of kids that seem to be breaking out.  Let’em play and put the 9th region on display.  The 9th region tourney is shaping up to be an all-time affair…..and while I can’t wait, I don’t want this season to fly by either.  My take on the next level emergence coming out of the 9th as this likely and hopefully will not be the last year of talent like this.  Eternal 9th region optimist here….

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, Brcatz said:

I don't see a kick at all. I see the Newport player trying to establish his footing as he comes down and the HC player is laying there when his foot comes down. I think the ref's call was on the HC player at first the way he is looking at it. Which should have been foul shots I believe for Newport, but then with the shoving match  so it went to the wayside. Not sure who they called a foul on or if they even did for the initial rebound scrum.

You can clearly see Pomp pointing at Kinney when he’s calling the foul. The HC player in question is on the ground and Pomp is pointing to a standing player.