2023 Trinity Shamrocks

5 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I think no.  They do return 5 of their top 6 tacklers from a very stout defense and they do return 3 of their top 4 rushers (minus Drew Allen) from last year, but I don't think they'll have a formidable enough of a passing game when the time comes and it's needed.  We shall see.  They're 8-7 against the state of Kentucky and 0-5 against St. X & Male in the last 2 years.  Obviously, they'll have to reverse that trend if they do plan to win it all this year.

There is something to be said that the air of invincibility is gone (at least at the moment). Trinity will always have the respect. But RIGHT NOW, none of the top tier kids FEAR the Rocks. The parents might. Not the players. 

24 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Too much parity in 6A at the top. What has Trinity gained that vaults them above the rest of the field in 2023? 

In addition, they are pretty much playing their potential 3rd, 4th round and state final opponents in the regular season... it goes both ways, but does it hurt or help Trinity more that after the 2nd round, so many teams will have actual game experience against them. 

I am not ready to declare any level of parity in 6A outside of the Big 3.  But, I hope you are right.

• Like 2

With Trinity playing first two games against Bryan Station and Frederick Douglass will have a good idea where the Shamrocks stand early in the season. They then play Male and St. X in September. If they go 4-0 against those teams which they potentially can with the quality of their defense, I would say they would be in the drivers seat for the 6A championship.

• Like 3

Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

With Trinity playing first two games against Bryan Station and Frederick Douglass will have a good idea where the Shamrocks stand early in the season. They then play Male and St. X in September. If they go 4-0 against those teams which they potentially can with the quality of their defense, I would say they would be in the drivers seat for the 6A championship.

I love T's schedule!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In theory, yes. T gets better acclimated to the Lexington schools, and then they have their regular 502 gauntlet. However, it is very fair to also see them being 0-4 heading into the Male game. 

Preseason-wise, I am not aware of the team being dominant. But last season, all their in-state losses were by a touchdown or less, so this trend can easily be reversed. All this to say, I don't see a wire to wire champion.

There is no "Big 4".  I was just basking in the glow of the Chargers State Title just a couple of more weeks before the new season actually starts.  It would take Douglas, Manual, Ballard or dare I say Bullitt East, at least 8-10 years of challenging for a title for any of them to enter into the "Big" discussion.  But, you have to start somewhere.  Good luck to all of the 6A teams this year. 

• Like 2

As the kickoff of the 2023 season approaches, Trinity’s program is back where Cobb envisioned it would be when he took the job.

There are 108 players on the varsity roster, up from 85 or so the past two seasons. There are more than 100 freshmen in the program, up from 65-70 the past two seasons.

Retrieved from article.