Open Job: Scott

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Scott's kind of a quandary. They're in a good area for football...they have the numbers, and most of the kids in their halls are coming from households that can provide the kids with what they need. They're looking at a tough row to hoe moving up to 5A, though, and Scott is a football program that has pretty consistently under-performed.

From the couple of very good friends I have who played football at Scott, one in the 1990s and one in the early 2000s, they both said that no one cared about the football program during their time on the team (their words, not mine.) I think with the success that Danny Woolley managed to bring to the program, there's proof that there's some support there, and some good potential, but I think 5A is going to be a major struggle for the Eagles for the foreseeable future, regardless of who the football skipper may be.

5A could be better fit for them than people think. 
Frederick Douglass up to 6A, CovCath to 4A, and what I believe will be Highlands to 4A and Dixie to 6A.

District would look like Cooper, Conner. Boone, and Scott. A very manageable district. Looks a whole lot different if Highlands stays 5A.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I am not optimistic for Scott and asking for more interested parties on Facebook adds to it.

Hopefully they will get a great coach because they are going to need one. 

Definitely interesting, especially with not much traffic on here about names who has applied and no clear cut “front runner”. 

I think Scott needs to get creative here with this hire. 

5 minutes ago, TheConch said:

5A could be better fit for them than people think. 
Frederick Douglass up to 6A, CovCath to 4A, and what I believe will be Highlands to 4A and Dixie to 6A.

District would look like Cooper, Conner. Boone, and Scott. A very manageable district. Looks a whole lot different if Highlands stays 5A.

Based on what I'm hearing around 4A, I'm not sure Highlands is going to end up moving down from 5A. I believe both Western and Lincoln County ended up opting to stay put in 4A, and I don't know that there were any other teams eyeing a move up to 5A.

Scott has done some decent work in their 4A district recently, but they seem like they took a pretty big step back in the last year or so. Holmes is a little unpredictable, but Coach Nevels has them moving in the right direction. Cov Cath in their 4A district will obviously be a loss for Scott, same as Highlands if they go 5A. I think 9 times out of 10, Cooper is going to beat Scott. Maybe even more like 19 out of 20. And I'd say Conner would beat Scott something like 60-75% of the time they play.

I dunno, maybe that's me just leaning a little heavy on past results at Scott, but it just seems like it has been a pretty tough gig from what I've seen over the years. And I'm not sure what exactly the answer is.

• Like 1

Timeline could be a little longer. AD has been busy, just hired a golf coach and soccer coach also.  I saw Colerain Oh coach quit Dec 1st and they plan to announce a coach on Monday. I think the process needs to be completed by end of the month at least.  I did see that weights started this week also. 

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ken is a great coach...he knows how to get players excited about football, that's for sure. It seems like he's been pretty all-in at New Cath, though.

He graduated from Scott. If anyone can turn the Eagles around it might be him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheConch said:

What’s a Ken Morgan resume look like?

Long time, successful youth coach. Multiple NKYFL championships, and a Middle School championship. Not sure that makes him slam dunk qualified to run a varsity program (although I’m not saying he can’t). And as someone mentioned, although he’s a Scott grad, he’s all in at New Cath. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Long time, successful youth coach. Multiple NKYFL championships, and a Middle School championship. Not sure that makes him slam dunk qualified to run a varsity program (although I’m not saying he can’t). And as someone mentioned, although he’s a Scott grad, he’s all in at New Cath. 

I had known about his middle school success, just wasn’t sure if he had found himself at a higher level at all.

I would have to think Scott is in a better position than having to rely on hiring a successful youth coach. But, I could be wrong, and Ken or a youth coach could be the best candidate for the job, I’d just have a tough time hiring based on middle school championships. 

And I’d have to agree, he’s all in at NewCath and don’t see him even thinking about it. 

I was under the impression that Morgan runs his own business and I would guess when he coached youth he was very involved in how that program was run. Those factors would be pretty valuable as a HS HC. There are some really good coaches that know their stuff that coach at lower levels. People might be surprised about how many people have HS experience but know little about the logistical and administrative side of being a HS HC. 

1 hour ago, barrel said:

I was under the impression that Morgan runs his own business and I would guess when he coached youth he was very involved in how that program was run. Those factors would be pretty valuable as a HS HC. There are some really good coaches that know their stuff that coach at lower levels. People might be surprised about how many people have HS experience but know little about the logistical and administrative side of being a HS HC. 

I don't disagree. And there are plenty of examples of guys who have made the jump. I still don't see him being even remotely interested in the job---he's a New Cath guy through and through, and has been ever since I've been in the football circles around NKY. I'd guess most don't even know he's a Scott grad. And I still think Scott should be aiming much higher than a successful youth coach. 

• Like 2