Open Job: Scott

3 hours ago, barrel said:

I wonder if Scott has their schedule pretty much locked in or not. You can’t make it official yet but most of the state has their out of district games lined up. 

I’d assume they have an idea, but it could be more difficult than normal with not knowing exactly how their district will turn out. 

Could be:

6- Dixie, Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper, Highlands. 
5- Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper, Highlands. (Dixie up to 6A)

4- Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper. (Highlands down to 4A)

or a combination of the sorts. 

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

I’d assume they have an idea, but it could be more difficult than normal with not knowing exactly how their district will turn out. 

Could be:

6- Dixie, Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper, Highlands. 
5- Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper, Highlands. (Dixie up to 6A)

4- Scott, Boone, Conner, Cooper. (Highlands down to 4A)

or a combination of the sorts. 

The district part should be pretty easy. The games outside of district are a little tougher since 3 of their non district opponent will likely be in district with them (Boone, Conner, Dixie) and will have to be replaced. Holy Cross has been on the schedule for a long time, but with them moving down to 1A that might change. They traditionally haven't traveled much beyond NKY in the last few years. They used to always schedule someone from across the river, although they haven't done that since Woolley left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

The district part should be pretty easy. The games outside of district are a little tougher since 3 of their non district opponent will likely be in district with them (Boone, Conner, Dixie) and will have to be replaced. Holy Cross has been on the schedule for a long time, but with them moving down to 1A that might change. They traditionally haven't traveled much beyond NKY in the last few years. They used to always schedule someone from across the river, although they haven't done that since Woolley left. 

I believe there used to be value of scheduling Ohio teams, but now based upon new RPI rules and rankings, very little benefit, win or lose.

For example, you could play the number 1 team in Ohio, and beat them. They could end up going 14-1 and win state, yet on RPI calculations for the playoffs, they are listed as a .500 team. 

I think Scott and the new head coach should consider a travel game early in the year, it is good “practice” and gives the players some experience of traveling and how to handle it. 

2 hours ago, TheConch said:

I believe there used to be value of scheduling Ohio teams, but now based upon new RPI rules and rankings, very little benefit, win or lose.

For example, you could play the number 1 team in Ohio, and beat them. They could end up going 14-1 and win state, yet on RPI calculations for the playoffs, they are listed as a .500 team. 

I think Scott and the new head coach should consider a travel game early in the year, it is good “practice” and gives the players some experience of traveling and how to handle it. 

They've done some traveling (not by choice) every year (at least the last 4 years) in district with Trips to Rowan/Boyd county. 

As far as scheduling Ohio and RPI, I don't think they are currently in a position where RPI means that much to them. That's not an issue until round 3, which they didn't get to this year. Playing an Ohio team gives them an opportunity to play a non NKY team without huge travel concerns. When they start challenging for regional/state titles, then they should worry about how games affect their RPI. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

They've done some traveling (not by choice) every year (at least the last 4 years) in district with Trips to Rowan/Boyd county. 

As far as scheduling Ohio and RPI, I don't think they are currently in a position where RPI means that much to them. That's not an issue until round 3, which they didn't get to this year. Playing an Ohio team gives them an opportunity to play a non NKY team without huge travel concerns. When they start challenging for regional/state titles, then they should worry about how games affect their RPI. 

Good points. Agreed.

13 minutes ago, TheConch said:

District: Highlands, Cooper, Conner, Dixie, Boone.

Uphill sledding in Taylor Mill. They should have held interviews before the district was set 😂!

It is sad to say but Scott has no chance and I don't know why any up and coming Coach would want this job. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Shame Scott still has this reputation. The facilities are some of the best in NKY, both athletically, academically, and the arts, final phase in progress. 

Yep. And to be truthful they could have beaten Boone and Conner this past season, and they’ve beaten Dixie a few times in recent years. I still believe this is a good job. Yes, there is some cleaning up to do and work to be done. But I don’t think this new district is a death sentence.

9 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Yep. And to be truthful they could have beaten Boone and Conner this past season, and they’ve beaten Dixie a few times in recent years. I still believe this is a good job. Yes, there is some cleaning up to do and work to be done. But I don’t think this new district is a death sentence.

I think a good hire can beat Boone, Dixie, and Conner. None whom impress me. 

I think a realistic schedule would look like:

Holmes

NewCath

Holy Cross

Rowan County

Highlands

Bye

Cooper

Dixie

Boone

Conner

Grant Co.

17 minutes ago, TheConch said:

I think a good hire can beat Boone, Dixie, and Conner. None whom impress me. 

I think a realistic schedule would look like:

Holmes

NewCath

Holy Cross

Rowan County

Highlands

Bye

Cooper

Dixie

Boone

Conner

Grant Co.

I know it's a local rivalry, but I think it's time for Scott to move on from Holy Cross. IF you add New Cath (whom they did play for a few years recently), that would be 2 1A schools. I know they need some games they could win, but I don't think HC is really a good fit anymore. I'd rather see Lloyd on the schedule than HC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I know it's a local rivalry, but I think it's time for Scott to move on from Holy Cross. IF you add New Cath (whom they did play for a few years recently), that would be 2 1A schools. I know they need some games they could win, but I don't think HC is really a good fit anymore. I'd rather see Lloyd on the schedule than HC.

Ah yes, totally missed Lloyd. That should definitely happen.