Tate Cox From JBS(one of the Best Freshmen in State)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 or 16, it's irrelevant, he is a freshman and a very good one. The only thing about being a 16 year old freshman, is that he may be limited on how much he grows in high school.

I have to disagree with you about the 14/16 issue. A sixteen year old freshman should be a much better basketball player than a 14 year old one. If he was a true freshman and putting up those kinds of stats, then it would be impressive. Not nearly as impressive as a 16 year old. People just hear the word freshman and don't consider the age.

I am not sure about other parts of the state but in Eastern Ky kids are held back on a large scale. There have been many post on BGP about this over the last year but it is what it is....I bet if people checked it is more common everywhere across the state than you think...

I remember this kid when he was 14 and he was special then also...

I couldnt of said it better my self colonelfan, when you've got 2 years of experience and playing time under your belt you should be leaps and bounds above the rest of those 14 year old freshmen at the age of 16. Don't get me wrong, Tate is a wonderful kid and basketball player, probably a great shortstop. But maybe someone should change the thread name to "best 16 year old Freshmen in the state".

I couldnt of said it better my self colonelfan, when you've got 2 years of experience and playing time under your belt you should be leaps and bounds above the rest of those 14 year old freshmen at the age of 16. Don't get me wrong, Tate is a wonderful kid and basketball player, probably a great shortstop. But maybe someone should change the thread name to "best 16 year old Freshmen in the state".

I think the point most people are missing with this is that there are not alot of 14 year old freshman...

I think the point most people are missing with this is that there are not alot of 14 year old freshman...

I don't agree. Several areas of the state do not hold kids back for sports like they do in Eastern KY, it's not common practice and not socially accepted. There are many many 14 year old freshmen, it's the 15 & 16 year old freshmen that get all the hype. Mainly because they are bigger, stronger, faster and more mature than the 14 year old freshmen.

There is a huge difference in physical ability between a 14 year old and a 16 year old. Maybe there should be a thread that asks... who are the best 14 year old freshmen in the state?

This team has a few of the top freshman that i think is as good if not better than the Cox kid. Nick Noble, D. Ritchie, C. Fugate. Last year SMS played JBS 3 times and won all of them. The Cox kid played each game and was held to 10 or less each time. But that is just my opinion. And also Breathitt has 3 true freshman in Josh Salyers, Justin Taublee, Zach Epperson, who is just 14 years old. So Breathitt will be one of the top teams in the region for the next few years.

This team has a few of the top freshman that i think is as good if not better than the Cox kid. Nick Noble, D. Ritchie, C. Fugate. Last year SMS played JBS 3 times and won all of them. The Cox kid played each game and was held to 10 or less each time. But that is just my opinion. And also Breathitt has 3 true freshman in Josh Salyers, Justin Taublee, Zach Epperson, who is just 14 years old. So Breathitt will be one of the top teams in the region for the next few years.

Breathitt does have some good freshmen, but I think that Cox is probably a smoother player at this point than any of them. Maybe over the next few years some of them could develop into better players. Noble and Ritchie are talented and will become good players. Channing Fugate, from what I have seen, has the size and physical capability to become the best out of this entire class of freshmen from across the mountains. It will be interesting to see how this freshman class will develop over the next few seasons. I believe that each player mentioned will become solid players.