Tate Cox From JBS(one of the Best Freshmen in State)

I have to disagree with you about the 14/16 issue. A sixteen year old freshman should be a much better basketball player than a 14 year old one. If he was a true freshman and putting up those kinds of stats, then it would be impressive. Not nearly as impressive as a 16 year old. People just hear the word freshman and don't consider the age.

The only reponse i have to this is maybe the 14 yr old parents so not think ahead for the future enough for there kids. facts are facts. those that graduate high school at 18-19 are better prepared for college than those that graduateat 17. those that graduate college a few yrs older are better prepared and more mature for the work force than others. it is a level playing field in which you can stay back if you chose to so if you others dont want to take advantage of this rule then dont cry about those that do. sorry but this hit a sore spot. a freshmen is a freshmen. last time i checked that means he becomes a sophmore then a junior and then a senior. dont blame others because they take advantage of all the resources that are in front of them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathitt does have some good freshmen, but I think that Cox is probably a smoother player at this point than any of them. Maybe over the next few years some of them could develop into better players. Noble and Ritchie are talented and will become good players. Channing Fugate, from what I have seen, has the size and physical capability to become the best out of this entire class of freshmen from across the mountains. It will be interesting to see how this freshman class will develop over the next few seasons. I believe that each player mentioned will become solid players.

Popp and Gabbard from Boone are also two of the best true freshmen point guards in the state. I've seen them play against Cox and Noble multiple times over the last year in middle school and AAU ball and in AAU camps, and there was very little separating them talent wise.

Aren't Ritchie and Noble also holdbacks?

All of these are very good players. I think it is an exaggeration to say one PG is that much better than the other between Cox, Popp, Gabbard, and Noble. Of course, Chad Jackson from Rose Hill is also one of the top true freshman PGs in the state, as is Elisha Justice.

The only reponse i have to this is maybe the 14 yr old parents so not think ahead for the future enough for there kids. facts are facts. those that graduate high school at 18-19 are better prepared for college than those that graduateat 17. those that graduate college a few yrs older are better prepared and more mature for the work force than others. it is a level playing field in which you can stay back if you chose to so if you others dont want to take advantage of this rule then dont cry about those that do. sorry but this hit a sore spot. a freshmen is a freshmen. last time i checked that means he becomes a sophmore then a junior and then a senior. dont blame others because they take advantage of all the resources that are in front of them.

It may also be thought of as an exception that is often exploited for the wrong reasons by many. I don't believe the intention of the holdback rule was to allow for a redshirt freshman in high school sports. It was put into place for academic and social adjustment reasons.

Popp and Gabbard from Boone are also two of the best true freshmen point guards in the state. I've seen them play against Cox and Noble multiple times over the last year in middle school and AAU ball and in AAU camps, and there was very little separating them talent wise.

Aren't Ritchie and Noble also holdbacks?

All of these are very good players. I think it is an exaggeration to say one PG is that much better than the other between Cox, Popp, Gabbard, and Noble. Of course, Chad Jackson from Rose Hill is also one of the top true freshman PGs in the state, as is Elisha Justice.

I am not for sure if Ritchie, Noble, and Fugate are true freshmen or not? Does anyone know more about them.

Being in the education field, I am fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of holding a student back. If you are holding a child back because of inmaturity or academic reasons in the primary grades then I completely agree with holding a student back. Also, many times parents hold boys back if they have a late or summer birthday, which I totally agree with. I know there are many parents who hold their son back because they have great hope that he will be an outstanding athlete. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this. Nobody is dismissing the fact that an 18 or 19 year old "should" be better prepared for college, but I don't think that is the point of this thread. I am standing by my point that a 16 year old "freshman" should be a more advanced player than a "true" 14 year old freshman.

Being in the education field, I am fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of holding a student back. If you are holding a child back because of inmaturity or academic reasons in the primary grades then I completely agree with holding a student back. Also, many times parents hold boys back if they have a late or summer birthday, which I totally agree with. I know there are many parents who hold their son back because they have great hope that he will be an outstanding athlete. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with this. Nobody is dismissing the fact that an 18 or 19 year old "should" be better prepared for college, but I don't think that is the point of this thread. I am standing by my point that a 16 year old "freshman" should be a more advanced player than a "true" 14 year old freshman.

Everything you are saying is true but the thing most people dont understand is that most freshman that are great are not 14 . Someone should start a thread called "Freshman that are 14 years old as of today and average 18 points a game on varsity that play for a team with a winning record" . I am curious if there are any....

Everything you are saying is true but the thing most people dont understand is that most freshman that are great are not 14 . Someone should start a thread called "Freshman that are 14 years old as of today and average 18 points a game on varsity that play for a team with a winning record" . I am curious if there are any....

I will give you one, Chad Jackson.

Chad turned 15 in September 06, however he is a legit freshman; and a VERY GOOD ONE at that.:thumb:

That is the point I was trying to make that most freshman are 15 or older. Chad is a very nice player and Rose Hill will be fun to watch the next few years.Good luck ...

i think you have a great point. however a freshmen is a freshmen. we have classifications for these in grade levels. i think every kid that can be stay back should. i wish i had. sports is just extra. may reason being for academics and social advancement.