Coach Kragthorpe will be an upgrade.

LSURock

Predictable post. I didn't compare Jurich and Mitch, but I'm fine with his tenure as AD at UK. Petrino was a great hire, you need not be a Publicist to prove that point.

Bashing Tubby, wow, that's innovative. You're right, as usual, UL basketball is in great shape. Does that Kool-aid leave a mustache?

Measuring against trend, Kragthorpe has a lot to do to be considered an upgrade. He'll have his hands full living up to your expectations.

First, if you are fine with Mitch you are either a fan of Olympic sports or not paying attention.

Bashing Tubby? You are the one that opened the basketball door. Kool-aid? see above comment.

Point for point Kragthorpe is ahead of Petrino at this same point in their careers. I thought Petrino's personality was always a liability, it won't be with Kragthorpe. So when in doubt, I'll trust Jurich. :thumb:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if you are fine with Mitch you are either a fan of Olympic sports or not paying attention.

Bashing Tubby? You are the one that opened the basketball door. Kool-aid? see above comment.

Point for point Kragthorpe is ahead of Petrino at this same point in their careers. I thought Petrino's personality was always a liability, it won't be with Kragthorpe. So when in doubt, I'll trust Jurich. :thumb:

Here we go again....football is in better shape, as is Baseball, golf, Women's Basketball, in fact, the only area that is in worse shape is Men's Basketball. A biggie, yes, but I stand by the body of work is good. Has Mitch been as successful as Jurics thus far, NO. Jurich has been great, I'm not disagreeing.

Trusting Jurich is a good thing -- I don't blame you. I'm simply noting that Petrino has elevated UL to sights unseen, and to expect improvement is asking a bunch.

Jurich has been GREAT for UL, let me get that in there one more time. No argument.

Here we go again....football is in better shape, as is Baseball, golf, Women's Basketball, in fact, the only area that is in worse shape is Men's Basketball. A biggie, yes, but I stand by the body of work is good. Has Mitch been as successful as Jurics thus far, NO. Jurich has been great, I'm not disagreeing.

Trusting Jurich is a good thing -- I don't blame you. I'm simply noting that Petrino has elevated UL to sights unseen, and to expect improvement is asking a bunch.

Jurich has been GREAT for UL, let me get that in there one more time. No argument.

Four years ago UK played a regular schedule and went 7-4. Brooks is hired. After four dreadful seasons including some of the worst losses in school history the Cats 8-4 (note 12 game season) with a schedule created to achieve wins. I'm sorry if I don't see the vast improvement in football.

I really believe Coach K provides a much stronger foundation for the future of UofL football. LSU's transition from Saban to Miles is a pretty good example. W/L pretty much the same. New coach is a much nicer guy. Recruiting have come back to equal Saban. But the best thing is we aren't looking over our shoulder all the time.

Kragthorpe appears to be an excellent hire, but an improvement over Petrino? We'll see.

The LSURock and h.s.sportsrbest show is interesting. Perhaps we could get you two on another thread in a discussion of 3A champion Covington Catholic v. 4A champion Trinity, had they played this year.

All of this "Improved" talk is rather humorous. It reminds me of Rich Brooks in August of 2006. "UK will be improved..." In light of the entire season, UK did truly improve. Who would have thought 8-5. Now to the topic at hand. U of L and Kragthorpe. In my eyes "improved" means winning more games. In light of 2006, that would mean 13 - 0. Thats a very tough path to chase. Especially for a new coach. People seem to forget, people seem to look the other direction, people seem to hide under statistics. Kragthorpe was brought here to win football games. If he improves the graduation rates, reduces (improves) transfer rate, improves visability of UL football, improves local public image of UL football, this is all great and yes they are improvements. However, couple all of these improvements with a string of 3-9 seasons.... The "improvements" sited above are well beyond second consideration. He must win games and lots of them.... He must fill PJCS with fans, even the new section when its finished..... So, "improved" is in the eye of the beholder, but lets not kid ourselfs. True "improvement" is W's and that spells 13 - 0. Can he do a better job as coach in the areas cited above, sure, that would be great. Just remember, Win on game day......

I know what you mean...But you also have to see what we are saying...The Cards special teams was horrible at best at times this year, and their secondary wasn't anything to write home about...There are specific areas of the game that they could get better at, and those things may or may not necessarily mean a shot at the title.

Right... well I mean the secondary and special teams can improve but if they win the same amount of games or less, is it really an improvement?

The same thing might have been said after Smith left, with the semi-annual rankings and the recruiting. In fact, it was said in more than a few places.

I think that people are going to see that Louisville has become a program, not just a coach and two players.

Right... well I mean the secondary and special teams can improve but if they win the same amount of games or less, is it really an improvement?
Back to back double digit win seasons would be an improvement. An undefeated road schedule would be an improvement or soundly defeating the Cats in Lexington would be an improvement. Moving past USC on the home winning streak list would be an improvement. Going undefeated in conference would be an improvement.

There are lots of things Kragthorpe can do to improve Louisville football in meaningful ways. He's already proven to be a big upgrade in the media department, where Petrino was starting to get a bad rap on a national level. And the players that have met with him seem to already have a better relationship with him than they did with Petrino.

I don't think that's the point. I took this upgrade thing as an on the field thing, sorry if that's not what it was meant to be about.

I know exactly what you meant to imply. If Louisville doesn't win the national championship next year then you will dig back through the archives, find this thread and point out how delusional UofL fans are.

I (and others) have pointed out that there are several ways that Louisville could improve without winning a national championship. Among those:

Beat UK by 50 or more consistantly

Play better on the road

Beat UK by 50 or more

Get better special teams play

Defend the long passing game better

And did I mention beat UK by 50 or more consistantly

I know exactly what you meant to imply. If Louisville doesn't win the national championship next year then you will dig back through the archives, find this thread and point out how delusional UofL fans are.

I (and others) have pointed out that there are several ways that Louisville could improve without winning a national championship. Among those:

Play better on the road

Beat UK by 50 or more

So basically all that matters at this point to UL, in your mind, is beating UK by 50? Nice to know you put so much emphasis on a non-conference game, which basically amounts to nothing other than bragging rights. I guess if UL only beats UK by 7 next year, the season itself is a failure? I like your logic.:thumb:

I don't think Kragthorpe will be an upgrade...Petrino was a top 5 coach in college football, IMO. It's hard to expect an upgrade from that...not impossible, but not likely.

Petrino was certainly a Top 5 coach but not until he had a few years at UofL under his belt. Tulsa had won 1 of their last 22 games when Kragthorpe took that job, then he leads them to an 8-5 season with a bowl game, then adds a conference championship 2 years later. Thats talent. Tulsa has been consistently in the top 25 in the nation in total offense, and look at the quality of players at Tulsa compared to UofL. I am very excited to see what Kragthorpe does here. I don't believe that it's an upgrade at this point either but I could very well see that being true in the long run. In Jurich I trust!

Play better on the road

Beat UK by 50 or more

And if they lose one or more games...it won't be an improvement.