Paducah Tilghman 25 Graves County 7

This has to be a big "what if" game for Graves. Dominant time of possession and stayed on Tilghman's side of the field the whole first half. Graves did a great job of playing keep away. They even recovered a fumble at the Tornado 2 and couldn't punch it in. 

Tilghman finally put the ball on the ground and quit all the nonsense in the 2nd half and much like Mayfield, just wore Graves down. The Graves D was stout for quite a while. 

This was a great test for Tilghman and I would have much rather them had this game heading into the big game next week. Penalties are still a problem. It's a must to get cleaned up. 

The turning point seemed to be when Coach Thompson had to be held back after what he considered a very bad call. The team responded to him well. 

Graves has some talent and I believe can hang around some better teams.  Their margin for error is razor thin though. I could see them pull an upset somewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

A little closer than expected...especially the first half.

I was one of the few that kinda expected an ugly game and probably not be a blowout. Just had that feeling all week. Tilghman's offense was really vanilla tonight as well. They didn't even attempt what they ran last week. I think that might have been a good move as well. We shall see. 

They have had 3 touchdowns called back in 2 games now due to penalty and have been off the rails with all the flags. That will not work against the Cardinals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TilghmanPride said:

I was one of the few that kinda expected an ugly game and probably not be a blowout. Just had that feeling all week. Tilghman's offense was really vanilla tonight as well. They didn't even attempt what they ran last week. I think that might have been a good move as well. We shall see. 

They have had 3 touchdowns called back in 2 games now due to penalty and have been off the rails with all the flags. That will not work against the Cardinals. 

The penalties have been the problem for years, it has to stop.

50 minutes ago, Joe Tracy said:

The penalties have been the problem for years, it has to stop.

I wish it were that easy. I think it's a combination of a lot of things. They have that reputation and when these crews go in with that mindset, they always find things. 

The thing about it is, no matter who the coach has been over all these years, it's the same old story. Coach Duncan and then Coach Smith when he took over changed the whole culture of the program, were strict disciplinarians and did everything the right way, yet the flags kept flying. It has been this way since I've been alive, so I'm definitely not going to pretend I know the fix for it. All I know is that it is very detrimental, especially in big games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. Neutral said:

I was shocked when I saw the score for this game. I’m ready for the game of the year. 

For those who attended Mayfield/Graves game, had Graves produced any offense at all I would imagine the score of that game would have been similar to this one.

Our Eagles are young, I believe they start 8 sophomores on offense, talented, but young. Keep improving is the name of the game this year and be ready for playoffs. 

They really need to pick up a win next week against Mccracken.

Edited by theguru
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcbleedblue said:

For those who attended Mayfield/Graves game, had Graves produced any offense at all I would imagine the score of that game would have been similar to this one.

Our Eagles are young, I believe they start 8 sophomores on offense, talented, but young. Keep improving is the name of the game this year and be ready for playoffs. 

They really need to pick up a win next week against Mccracken.

Oh really.

9 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Simple math?

Graves produced no offense against Mayfield. But that's what you Imagined....Like a fairy tale.

Go back and read, “had Graves produced any offense.” Not sure why you’re always so abrasive Snake. 

good luck to you guys this week. 

• Thanks 1

If Graves can get the offense going they can win some games.  The defense is pretty good and can give teams problems when they aren't stuck with bad field position or on the field for long periods of time.  This game easily could have been 17-7 Graves at halftime but the youth continues to show up.  I believe the coaching staff will get it right as players get more experience and the offense continues to evolve.  Starting the season with the #3 team in 2A and the #1 team in 3A is pretty tough on a team as young as Graves.