Offseason Brags

BlueRaider

I'm always interested to know what schools are doing leading up to spring football? If you know, what are your schools doing in the offseason to better their athletes? Obviously people are lifting, but what does that look like? Who are some programs that you feel like are doing it "the right way" by the way they are doing things, and why? Install, weights, speed work, drills, culture, etc... 

Strength is obviously important but speed kills. I think more programs are putting emphasis on speed and flexibility and incorporating weights into that verses the other way around. College recruiters really don't care about your max weight but they love seeing you be fast, explosive and agile on the field, in drills or in off season workouts / 7 v7 or 1 v1's. Note to parents, don't miss a chance to video your kid during offseason events especially if you have limited game film from the season prior. I have a google folder with over 1000 clips of my son from the off season. It is nice to be able to send a college a video of your kid in coverage, pass rushing or changing direction in a drill when they ask. Bought a Sony 4K with a  good tri-pod and was a great investment. The more you invest now the less you invest for college!

20 minutes ago, Tigerallamerican said:

Strength is obviously important but speed kills. I think more programs are putting emphasis on speed and flexibility and incorporating weights into that verses the other way around. College recruiters really don't care about your max weight but they love seeing you be fast, explosive and agile on the field, in drills or in off season workouts / 7 v7 or 1 v1's. Note to parents, don't miss a chance to video your kid during offseason events especially if you have limited game film from the season prior. I have a google folder with over 1000 clips of my son from the off season. It is nice to be able to send a college a video of your kid in coverage, pass rushing or changing direction in a drill when they ask. Bought a Sony 4K with a  good tri-pod and was a great investment. The more you invest now the less you invest for college!

You want to get faster you better lift! But yes olympic movements and speed training are a must. 

2 hours ago, Tigerallamerican said:

I agree. I coach sprinters on track team and lifting with out sprinting is slow strength. If weights only made you faster then the powerlifting team would be fastest kids in school. It's also best to sprint before lifting so can run fast. Should sprint at least 3 days a week. Doesn't have to be long sprints either. I like to to do 60m sprints as speed development since hit max speed around 50-60 meters. I like short hill sprints to help with acceleration phase. I give minimum 3 minutes rest between reps so they can be rested enough to run them all fast.

• Like 3