Scenario...If UK goes 5-7 next season, what happens?

RockPride

LSURock brought up a good point in a different post. What happens, if UK, with the schedule upgrade, doesn't make it to a bowl game? Will that be looked at as a step backwards? Will Coach Brooks, be on the hot seat yet again? What say you?

Not really sure I see the schedule upgrade...it's a little tougher because of the SEC rotation. The only think UK controls is the OOC, which will be Temple, U of L, Florida Atlantic, and EKU. To me, that's not much different than this year's OOC.

To address your questions, we need to get another bowl appearance to continue building on this momentum. If we do finished 5-7, I think some of it would depend on the events that lead to it. If UK is decimated by injuries, like two years ago, then it wouldn't be as big a deal as going 5-7 with a healthy team. If the team just underperformed, then it would be really frustrating.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure I see the schedule upgrade...it's a little tougher because of the SEC rotation. The only think UK controls is the OOC, which will be Temple, U of L, Florida Atlantic, and EKU. To me, that's not much different than this year's OOC.

But that's the point. Whether or not UK intended the upgrade to happen isn't relevant. The fact is that it's tougher. UK had a much more favorable conference schedule this year, given that a weaker-than-usual Georgia team played them in Lexington and the Cats got to play both of the permanently doomed schools from Mississippi. You can't deny that the schedule set them up to do better than normal.

I think 6-6 and a bowl game is a very realistic possibility for the Cats, but they'll have to play their hearts out. That SEC schedule is murder even for the best teams.

But that's the point. Whether or not UK intended the upgrade to happen isn't relevant. The fact is that it's tougher. UK had a much more favorable conference schedule this year, given that a weaker-than-usual Georgia team played them in Lexington and the Cats got to play both of the permanently doomed schools from Mississippi. You can't deny that the schedule set them up to do better than normal.

I think 6-6 and a bowl game is a very realistic possibility for the Cats, but they'll have to play their hearts out. That SEC schedule is murder even for the best teams.

I'm well aware of that, but in his second post, RP implies that UK upgraded the OOC schedule by making a comment about dumbing down this year's schedule. Next year's schedule is dumbed down as well when it comes to OOC.

I've already posts my thoughts on UK next year, but in a nutshell, assuming they build on what they did this year and continue to improve (which I'm going to do) they have 5 wins (EKU, Temple, FAU, Vandy, Miss State), 2 no chances (LSU, Florida)...and 5 if's (of varying degrees...UT, U of L, USC, Arkansas, and Georgia). I'm confident that they'll get at least one of those 5 to reach 6 wins, possibly two to get 7.

Another thing to consider, when you're building a program from the basement up, as Brooks is basically trying to do, there is going to be some ebb and flow. It's going to take several years of good recruiting (with a full compliment of scholarships) to get to the point where you can field a consistent team every year. Until then, you're going to struggle when proven production leaves (whether by graduation or early entry) and you have to break in inexperienced talent...especially in the SEC. Next year is important for that fact...UK returns a lot of offensive firepower and a lot of experience. (Hopefully, the last two games were signs of improvement on defense instead of an abberation.) But, as I was saying, next year is important for that reason because in two years we'll be breaking in a whole slew of new offensive starters and could take some lumps if they don't adjust quickly.

We're on the right track...building UK into a respectable program isn't going to be a quick process. It's going to take some patience and perseverance.