Open Job: Russell County

Richardson steps down as Laker Football Coach

Looks like Coach Richardson made the announcement last month.

“I informed the kids earlier this week that after 30 years, it’s time for me to be a family man, a full-time dad and a husband and a son,” Richardson said. “It’s hard to say to be honest. It’s the right decision and I’m at peace with it."

Russell County has traditionally been a tough place to succeed. They've even struggled to win playoff games in their really good years. This will be a challenge...

However, they are in a district that is favorable (Allen County-Scottsville, Franklin-Simpson, Warren Central, Warren East). They are located in an area of the state that is both beautiful and prime for growth. The success they have had in the past shows that winning is at least possible at Russell County. I suspect there will be some valid interest in this position.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

Russell County has traditionally been a tough place to succeed. They've even struggled to win playoff games in their really good years. This will be a challenge...

However, they are in a district that is favorable (Allen County-Scottsville, Franklin-Simpson, Warren Central, Warren East). They are located in an area of the state that is both beautiful and prime for growth. The success they have had in the past shows that winning is at least possible at Russell County. I suspect there will be some valid interest in this position.

The only period of consistent success was under Ron Finley in the late 70's to late 80's.  He left there to coach Campbellsville.  He won 4 District/Sub-District Titles if memory serves.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hatz said:

The only period of consistent success was under Ron Finley in the late 70's to late 80's.  He left there to coach Campbellsville.  He won 4 District/Sub-District Titles if memory serves.  

I played baseball under Coach Finley at Campbellsville.  He coached both sports for a couple of years.  Really good guy.  Even with him I don't think that they made it past the second round of the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I played baseball under Coach Finley at Campbellsville.  He coached both sports for a couple of years.  Really good guy.  Even with him I don't think that they made it past the second round of the playoffs. 

They didn’t. Closest was 1979 when they lost 6-5 to Corbin in the Regional. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

They didn't. In fact, Russell County has made 29 playoff appearances and won only four games, never advancing past the second round. Their wins came against Washington County in 2000, Hopkins County Central in 2010, and Marion County in both 2012 and 2013.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BlueRaider said:

Their 2012 team was very tough. Had an undefeated regular season. It doesn't help when Boyle is in your district. 

Boyle County was in the opposite district. Russell County won their district but lost a second round home playoff game to Boyle, who had finished second to Lexington Catholic in their district and would lose to Catholic a second time in the region final the next week.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:52 AM, Hatz said:

I'd argue there was consistent success under Bill Sharp that rivaled and arguably surpassed Ron Finley. From 2005-2013 RC was 61-40 (nothing too extraordinary, but above average) and from 2010-13 went 37-10 with I think three district championships and three first round playoff wins. Also, only thought Finley had two district championships and no playoff wins. Shame the KHSAA online records don't go back that far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Footballfan99 said:

I'd argue there was consistent success under Bill Sharp that rivaled and arguably surpassed Ron Finley. From 2005-2013 RC was 61-40 (nothing too extraordinary, but above average) and from 2010-13 went 37-10 with I think three district championships and three first round playoff wins. Also, only thought Finley had two district championships and no playoff wins. Shame the KHSAA online records don't go back that far. 

Well hey...welcome to BGP @Footballfan99!