Open Job: Russell County

6 hours ago, Footballfan99 said:

I'd argue there was consistent success under Bill Sharp that rivaled and arguably surpassed Ron Finley. From 2005-2013 RC was 61-40 (nothing too extraordinary, but above average) and from 2010-13 went 37-10 with I think three district championships and three first round playoff wins. Also, only thought Finley had two district championships and no playoff wins. Shame the KHSAA online records don't go back that far. 

Finley won the District when only one team went to the playoffs. They lost in the Regional to Corbin twice. There were only 3 rounds of playoffs then. Lost by 1 to an unbeaten Corbin in ‘79 and was blown out by eventual State Champ Corbin in ‘80. Won Sub-District in ‘83 and was undefeated before losing to Somerset, State Runner-up. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hatz said:

Finley won the District when only one team went to the playoffs. They lost in the Regional to Corbin twice. There were only 3 rounds of playoffs then. Lost by 1 to an unbeaten Corbin in ‘79 and was blown out by eventual State Champ Corbin in ‘80. Won Sub-District in ‘83 and was undefeated before losing to Somerset, State Runner-up. 

Gotcha. Didn't think of the '83 sub-district. So looks like neither of us were right on Finley's districts/sub-districts. You with a count of four and me two. So that would put Finley and Sharp equal in terms of districts with Sharp having a few playoff wins when the playoffs were significantly watered down vs. Finley having no playoff wins in a tougher playoff format. I'd say pretty comparable. Long story short, consistent success can be achieved at Russell but it isn't the norm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gridiron guy said:

I agree very winnable district and they've had success under Sharp.  Even last season they were 6-1 although they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. Also seemed that Sharp always keep solid numbers as well. 

It may be a winnable district, but not for Russell County.  They've had very little success in that district either from 2007 -2010 or the past 3 years of 2019 - 2021.  Steven French will be the coach if he wants the job.

5 hours ago, BillNye said:

It may be a winnable district, but not for Russell County.  They've had very little success in that district either from 2007 -2010 or the past 3 years of 2019 - 2021.  Steven French will be the coach if he wants the job.

Last year they beat those district teams in the regular season. It can be done at Russell with the right guy in place. I do agree French will get it if he wants the job.