Could we see Carter County instead of East and West Carter in the Future?

GOREDDEVILS

I may be in the minority here but I think generally speaking consolidation is a good thing for schools.  You should be able to have one great school for everyone and save money in the process.  I realize there are negatives but again I think it is a good thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I may be in the minority here but I think generally speaking consolidation is a good thing for schools.  You should be able to have one great school for everyone and save money in the process.  I realize there are negatives but again I think it is a good thing. 

What is the best size for a school? My first thought, large schools are a negative experience for the student population as a whole. In my mind, smaller schools are better. But how small? I think if a school is "too small" it doesn't have the resources to offer a full range of learning options. The smaller the school, the more connected the student body and the more opportunities for involvement in extracurriculars.

Then a bit of a strange thought came to mind. Is school size a factor in school shootings? As I thought about school shootings, it seemed like the school shootings that came to mind were all at large schools. So I did some googling. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232999300_School_Shootings_High_School_Size_and_Neurobiological_Considerations

This link points out that 11 of 13 multiple injury shootings at high schools over the past 10 years happened at schools larger than 600 students. It also states that research shows the sweet spot for the best student experience is that 600 student size.

I also found this link which says "larger school enrollment significantly predicts mass school shootings".

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0362331917300241

Unfortunately I could not pull up data in the link that supports that statement.

Going from my gut instinct and supported by the above, I agree with the statement that 600 students is the sweet spot for best student experience in high school. I believe when a school gets too big it limits the high school experience for too many students.

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

I heard through the grapevine that the school is preparing for a possibility of 2000 for a high school size and that the current high schools will be the middle schools since the middle schools are in such need for repair.

While there would need to be room for future growth, 2,000 would be a lot of growth. If you go off current numbers the school would be under 1,500. 500 growth in Carter County would mean we have a big boom in population.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...