Notre Dame Academy 2 Beechwood 1 (Penalty Kicks)

rjal

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I have to believe the most disappointing thing about last night for Beechwood was they had a 1-0 lead in the 2nd half.  I wasn't there so I don't know how they scored to get the lead. The point is even though defense was the game plan they were good enough offensively to score and get on top 1-0.  That positioned them to be even more focused on playing defense. Credit to Notre Dame for finding a way to overcome the challenge.

Agree with this.  It is one thing to pack it in and hope for PKs.  It is another to score with a pack it in defense and have the lead.  If I remember it right Beechwood hit two of the PKs, one went just off the crossbar and the other two were stopped.  If that second PK was six inches lower, it goes to sudden death PKs.  For what its worth Beechwood was also missing one of their starting defenders.  Obviously you can say would have, could have all day, but that was a great game by Beechwood and a great atmosphere with the packed stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rjal said:

Agree with this.  It is one thing to pack it in and hope for PKs.  It is another to score with a pack it in defense and have the lead.  If I remember it right Beechwood hit two of the PKs, one went just off the crossbar and the other two were stopped.  If that second PK was six inches lower, it goes to sudden death PKs.  For what its worth Beechwood was also missing one of their starting defenders.  Obviously you can say would have, could have all day, but that was a great game by Beechwood and a great atmosphere with the packed stands.

I was going to ask what happened on the penalty kicks. I assume Notre Dame also missed on a couple penalty kicks if it went to the final penalty kick for them to win.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I was going to ask what happened on the penalty kicks. I assume Notre Dame also missed on a couple penalty kicks if it went to the final penalty kick for them to win.

Both teams made number one, Beechwood missed hitting the crossbar on number two and NDA went in.  Both were stopped in round three. Round four beechwood hit and NDA missed.  Round five Beechwood stopped and NDA hit.

• Thanks 3

It's tough to reply to the comments of Beechwood "playing good enough offense" or "generating enough offense" in a way that doesn't come off as negative.  Understand my comments are not negative, but to give perspective.   After watching them play twice, my opinion, is that they played with zero intent to "generate any offense, posses the ball, or create shots, period."  2 corner kicks were created from a result of their good defense, deflected ball, misplays by NDA, or imposed chaos.  They scored on a corner that was initially cleared but deflected back in toward the goal and their player made a nice play to direct it into goal.    That was the only time in 2 games that Beechwood attempted a shot.  Yes, that one shot went in from a chaotic series of deflections, that can happen.  To state or assume that they were playing offense, in my opinion, needs some added perspective.  Again, I say that in no way to deter from their effort or effectiveness.

And I have argued Beechwood has been "ranked" too low for a while.  @FrankNicodemus comments are absolutely true.  This is NOT a team that you feel good about playing in the first or second round.  They are good at what they do, play defense.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree or disagree with the game plan, but let’s give credit where it’s due…Beechwood did what they set out to do and that was stop them from scoring. Every coach adjusts the game plan according to the team they are playing. Lets not knock them for making it work. 

19 minutes ago, Big Red said:

It's tough to reply to the comments of Beechwood "playing good enough offense" or "generating enough offense" in a way that doesn't come off as negative.  Understand my comments are not negative, but to give perspective.   After watching them play twice, my opinion, is that they played with zero intent to "generate any offense, posses the ball, or create shots, period."  2 corner kicks were created from a result of their good defense, deflected ball, misplays by NDA, or imposed chaos.  They scored on a corner that was initially cleared but deflected back in toward the goal and their player made a nice play to direct it into goal.    That was the only time in 2 games that Beechwood attempted a shot.  Yes, that one shot went in from a chaotic series of deflections, that can happen.  To state or assume that they were playing offense, in my opinion, needs some added perspective.  Again, I say that in no way to deter from their effort or effectiveness.

And I have argued Beechwood has been "ranked" too low for a while.  @FrankNicodemus comments are absolutely true.  This is NOT a team that you feel good about playing in the first or second round.  They are good at what they do, play defense.   

I would say that Ryle is probably cut from a similar cloth.  Unfortunately, the Birds didn’t see Ryle this season but based on their results I have to assume they play a very similar style.  Staunch defense, great keeper but no offensive firepower to have multiple attacking opportunities. I think @Big Redmentioned this before when Ryle played NDA.

I forget who mentioned it earlier but for one shining moment a team might win a game like this but this strategy I don’t think is a strategy that will go far in a single elimination run which we are heading into.

Just my opinion….

4 minutes ago, Allsports24 said:

Agree or disagree with the game plan, but let’s give credit where it’s due…Beechwood did what they set out to do and that was stop them from scoring. Every coach adjusts the game plan according to the team they are playing. Lets not knock them for making it work. 

I won’t knock them but I will say this, was it the right time to utilize this strategy?  If I were Beechwood and was going to pull this out as the strategy wouldn’t you surprise NDA with this strategy in a game where you would NEVER potentially see them again?  To make it to State someone is going to have to send NDA home for good in the 9th Region tournament.  I will equate it to Highlands vs. Cov Cath in football in the hey days….Regular season play calls are MUCH different than Post Season play calls in that rivalry…..and there is a reason for that!

You should play to win the present game. Being a small school like Beechwood, you don’t have the luxury to sit back and wait for possibly? Kudos to Beechwood and a well played game. I also think ND was frustrated and didn’t know how to handle it. 

Good luck to both teams!

• Like 1

I was careful to not be critical of their strategy in any way.  My actual statement was they executed exactly what they intended to do.  They did a fantastic job, and would not indicate otherwise.  As mentioned, Beechwood will be frustrating to whoever they play in the Regional. 

I am not being critical either about the strategy.  Kudos to Beechwood for executing it to almost perfection to pull off a win.

I am being critical about the timing.  To that I guess we will agree to disagree.

Both NDA and Beechwood regardless of last nights outcome was going to Regionals….don’t know why you pulled this strategy out for close to a meaningless game as you can have…..Unless a District Champion trophy is what you were aspiring to put in your trophy case.

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I would say that Ryle is probably cut from a similar cloth.  Unfortunately, the Birds didn’t see Ryle this season but based on their results I have to assume they play a very similar style.  Staunch defense, great keeper but no offensive firepower to have multiple attacking opportunities. I think @Big Redmentioned this before when Ryle played NDA.

I forget who mentioned it earlier but for one shining moment a team might win a game like this but this strategy I don’t think is a strategy that will go far in a single elimination run which we are heading into.

Just my opinion….

Only because this got fun do I feel the need to chime in.

There is a difference between trying to possess the ball and move it forward (and failing) and not playing offense.  It goes to my earlier season question as to comparing Beechwood to Ryle. Not one Ryle goal has been from a centerback kicking it as far as they can to have someone go run and get it. (yes, i know because we score so few)

As for the Ryle offense, well the Dixie game managed to take out our #2,3 and 4 scorers......(they will be on crutches until sometime in the spring)

Regionals should be fantastic (please read the sarcasm), we will see how tonight goes.....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I am not being critical either about the strategy.  Kudos to Beechwood for executing it to almost perfection to pull off a win.

I am being critical about the timing.  To that I guess we will agree to disagree.

Both NDA and Beechwood regardless of last nights outcome was going to Regionals….don’t know why you pulled this strategy out for close to a meaningless game as you can have…..Unless a District Champion trophy is what you were aspiring to put in your trophy case.

My take on it being a fellow small school person is that in all reality the chances of running the gauntlet in the 9th region tournament is not great for most schools.  They were not going to play NDA again until the finals if they were to make it. Play for the present.  If you think you have a plan that may take down the number two team in the county and generate excitement for you program and bring some big time momentum into the regional tournament, go for it.  Think about the confidence these girls have now.  They left it all on the field.  My observation from watching the game as much as I could while working was that Beechwood played inspired and honestly outworked NDA.  They didn’t go into the game saying ok we are probably going to lose but it doesn’t matter we still get the runner up trophy and will get to play in regionals. They gave it their all and I honestly think NDA will be a better team because of this game.  They may be the much deeper, more talented team but sometimes the unlikely happens.   Is they know what could happen if they are outworked.   This is why I generally UK basketball losing in the SEC finals before the NCAA.  It is generally the kick they need. This of course is not meant to be negative towards NDA.  They are a great team and it is hard to be “up” for every game.  They are everyone else’s super bowl.  

• Like 4

You know I had some time to think while cleaning out my car from muddy Morsher field yesterday. What I realized was I jumped to fast on the thought that Beechwood did something drastically different than their normal style. But maybe they didnt, if that was the case that it is who they are then kudos to them bringing almost the impossible to possible knocking off NDA.

Boy this has been fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love all of this excitement around a soccer game, warms my heart.  

We also have a boys' soccer forum, you should check it out, I have been talking to myself in there for nearly 3 months.  I could use the company.  

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. "  See?  The isolation in there is killing me.  

• Like 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Notre Dame Academy 3 Beechwood 2 (Penalty Kicks)
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Notre Dame Academy 2 Beechwood 1 (Penalty Kicks)