Notre Dame Academy 2 Beechwood 1 (Penalty Kicks)

rjal

0-0 at the half

Beechwood strikes first leading 1-0 then NDA tied it up a few minutes later.  Regulation ends at 1-1.  After the first overtime game tied 1-1.  It is getting dark at Eva G.  This is one heck of a game.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rjal said:

0-0 at the half

Beechwood strikes first leading 1-0 then NDA tied it up a few minutes later.  Regulation ends at 1-1.  After the first overtime game tied 1-1.  It is getting dark at Eva G.  This is one heck of a game.

That was, what, the third goal scored on Notre Dame all season long? Last I saw, the Pandas were ranked second in the nation.

• Like 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Notre Dame Academy 2 Beechwood 1 (Penalty Kicks)

Beechwood had a plan to get to PK's.  They were fired up and successful executing on their plan.  Both goalies made nice saves in sudden death, at least I think they did, it was dark by then!  From what I could see all the kicks that were good were low and in the corners, basically not stoppable.  So solid by both teams.

Coming from the NDA side, I didn't find this so unbelievable.  Beechwood gave NDA fits in regular season, where NDA was able to score from deep only when the goalie got injured.  Beechwood, Ryle, and SK gave NDA significant frustration, playing just defense and not worrying about offense in the regular season.   @Frank has been looking for a chink in the armor.  I have to say this is 4 games vs. 4 teams that play this style, and will make the regional tournament.  NDA does not like to play this way.  

• Thanks 1

Congrats to the Beechwood girls on coming so close to a shocking win. Coach Josh Young is doing a fantastic job building the Tigirls (my term) program. Leading Notre Dame 1-0 in the second half was almost unimaginable just a couple years ago.

This was no fluke. Beechwood has gone toe to toe with the top programs in N. Ky. all season. 

The good news is on to the regional. Another opportunity is still ahead. Good luck in the regional. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Red said:

Beechwood had a plan to get to PK's.  They were fired up and successful executing on their plan.  Both goalies made nice saves in sudden death, at least I think they did, it was dark by then!  From what I could see all the kicks that were good were low and in the corners, basically not stoppable.  So solid by both teams.

Coming from the NDA side, I didn't find this so unbelievable.  Beechwood gave NDA fits in regular season, where NDA was able to score from deep only when the goalie got injured.  Beechwood, Ryle, and SK gave NDA significant frustration, playing just defense and not worrying about offense in the regular season.   @Frank has been looking for a chink in the armor.  I have to say this is 4 games vs. 4 teams that play this style, and will make the regional tournament.  NDA does not like to play this way.  

Totally agree!  I was speaking to a few people saying if NDA ends up losing during this run its going to be by a team that is disciplined like that, that has an awesome defense and goalie that packs it in.  BUT here is the kicker, you MUST have the skills to be able to score PKs.  You will not get any cheap goals in PKs versus NDA Keeper Breeze.  

At the end of the day I am sure this just built Beechwoods confidence up for next week that they have a shot to beat some people.  Would hate to be the DIstrict Champ playing them in the 1st Round, they will be hungry and energetic!

• Like 2

Suli is too good of a coach to not come up with a curveball for those opponents that choose to park the bus and put 11 girls behind the ball, count on that.  All last night did, in my opinion, is give him a reason to ratchet up the tactical work and the practice intensity for the next 3 days.

If your goal is to pull off the upset in 1 game (maybe 2), this tactic will work.  If your goal is to win the region and compete for a state championship, this tactic never works.  Highlands and NDA dominate the 9th because they play soccer.  Dixie has tried this tactic for years, and it does not work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to believe the most disappointing thing about last night for Beechwood was they had a 1-0 lead in the 2nd half.  I wasn't there so I don't know how they scored to get the lead. The point is even though defense was the game plan they were good enough offensively to score and get on top 1-0.  That positioned them to be even more focused on playing defense. Credit to Notre Dame for finding a way to overcome the challenge.

• Like 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Notre Dame Academy 2 Beechwood 1 (Penalty Kicks)