NKY Top 10, Sep 6th edition

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I don’t think there is much of a story.  She is doing both club and High School soccer so when she can make the Highlands game Norris will play her for a half.  She played in the 2nd half last night.

She was absent for the NCC and Campbell County games last week.

Gotcha.  Have not been able to follow as much as usual.

Recap from last night:

#1 NDA handled #7 Conner easily 6-0

#2 Highlands defended the bluegrass this time very well destroying the girls from across the river Eastern Brown, 10-0

#4 Dixie outlasts West Jessamine in a very physical dog fight of a soccer match 2-1

#5 Ryle ties #10 Beechwood in a titanic struggle 0-0, Beechwood still trying to find that win against a Top 10 team.  Ryle seems to have a problem with their offense and can’t score to go along with their great D.

#6 Campbell County makes a successful trip down to Montgomery County beating them 5-0, and Ruby only scored once amazingly.

#8NCC trips again against Frederick Douglas losing 3-1.

#9 Simon Kenton as predicted crushed poor Scott High School 9-0.

Que the drumroll we have some ELITE soccer on the horizon!!!!

Enjoy your Sunday…..WHO DEY!

• Like 1

As I said before, Ryle and Beechwood are the same from what I saw. 

Obviously ooking forward to this week.  Sacred Heart is undefeated vs. NDA.  Lex Cath looks to be playing well, but I'll lean Highlands in what should be a great game.

South Oldham is not playing in the Lex Cath tournament, but they look to be a top team in the state going 2-0 at Zionsville.  They beat Indy power Brebeuf Jesuit last weekend, and handled Lexington Catholic earlier. 

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

Does Holy Cross have any chance against Cooper tonight?   

I think they do. @rjalmight be the best to weigh in.  I think Cooper’s record is a little deceiving since they really have had a weak schedule.  They only have 2 wins vs Top 10 teams and they were against #8 NCC and #9 Simon Kenton and both those games were a 1-0 result.

Holy Cross has to play well and suffocate Maleah Alexander who is Coopers big time player.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Big Red said:

As I said before, Ryle and Beechwood are the same from what I saw. 

Obviously ooking forward to this week.  Sacred Heart is undefeated vs. NDA.  Lex Cath looks to be playing well, but I'll lean Highlands in what should be a great game.

South Oldham is not playing in the Lex Cath tournament, but they look to be a top team in the state going 2-0 at Zionsville.  They beat Indy power Brebeuf Jesuit last weekend, and handled Lexington Catholic earlier. 

@Big Red OK, I tried my best to read this and understand the thought process behind it, but I can't.

Saying Ryle and Beechwood are "the same".  The same style? The same talent? or are we just going with the same results at the end of the game?

Yes, I'm jaded but a team trying to pass the ball up the field and not getting there and a team who's defense has two plays (long forward or long out of bounds) are in no way the same for a lack of offense.

I have yet to understand Kentucky High School soccer (4 years later), so just looking for some help.

Again, it's just my opinion from seeing each team one time, and in the context of ranking a top 10, #5 vs. #10...

The strength of both teams is on the defense.  Both have high level goalie play with a solid defensive line and holding midfield.  I'm not sure I can comment on style, but it's more strength of the team and result.  Both teams very stingy in allowing goals, but do not score much themselves.  Beechwood has 6 shutouts and allowed only 1 goal in 3 games.  Ryle has 5 shutouts and allowed only 1 goal twice.  Ryle probably played tougher schedule, but in terms of ranking, look similar to me.

16 minutes ago, Big Red said:

Again, it's just my opinion from seeing each team one time, and in the context of ranking a top 10, #5 vs. #10...

The strength of both teams is on the defense.  Both have high level goalie play with a solid defensive line and holding midfield.  I'm not sure I can comment on style, but it's more strength of the team and result.  Both teams very stingy in allowing goals, but do not score much themselves.  Beechwood has 6 shutouts and allowed only 1 goal in 3 games.  Ryle has 5 shutouts and allowed only 1 goal twice.  Ryle probably played tougher schedule, but in terms of ranking, look similar to me.

Thank you

10 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I think they do. @rjalmight be the best to weigh in.  I think Cooper’s record is a little deceiving since they really have had a weak schedule.  They only have 2 wins vs Top 10 teams and they were against #8 NCC and #9 Simon Kenton and both those games were a 1-0 result.

Holy Cross has to play well and suffocate Maleah Alexander who is Coopers big time player.

So the Lady Indians have been stepping up their game the last week.  After losing a close one against Campbell they won two over the weekend in convincing fashion clearing the bench both games.  Obviously it was weaker competition but they did their job and took care of business.  The defense has looked like a different team since half time of the Beechwood game and have been on a role since then.  Before the Cooper game I would have said I thought we would put up a good fight but would probably lose a close one like when we played at soccerama.  The girls played well today and tied Cooper 1-1.  The defense held Alexander in check and actually controlled the ball most of the first half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DadofTwins said:

@Big Red OK, I tried my best to read this and understand the thought process behind it, but I can't.

Saying Ryle and Beechwood are "the same".  The same style? The same talent? or are we just going with the same results at the end of the game?

Yes, I'm jaded but a team trying to pass the ball up the field and not getting there and a team who's defense has two plays (long forward or long out of bounds) are in no way the same for a lack of offense.

I have yet to understand Kentucky High School soccer (4 years later), so just looking for some help.

I've found out that there are 2 types of soccer in KY.  Those that play it long (and out of bounds) can win games, but they never win or compete for championships.  Then there are those that possess the ball and play soccer.  They win (or at least compete for) championships (NDA, Highlands, Sacred Heart, Wess Jess, Lexington Catholic, etc).