NKY Top 10, Sep 6th edition

I must say not a lot of movement coming out of this week except for one.  As some of you might have seen the Maher Rankings finally came out yesterday which added some interesting points to these rankings that I might utilize.  I will showcase the difference in the rankings using NKY as a filter on Maher.

Here we go:

1. NOTRE DAME:  10-0 (Last week #1) (Maher Ranking #1)

- Another set of 3 wins with another week of NO GOALS allowed.  This is shaping up to be a very special season for these NDA Pandas.

• 2 games this week (Simon Kenton & Conner), I expect another clean sheet week for them

2. HIGHLANDS:  5-1 (Last week #2) (Maher Ranking #2)

- I realize Highlands lost but it was against NDA, plus they played pretty well against NCC and Campbell County not to shake my confidence that #2 is the spot still for them.

• 2 games this week (East Central & Eastern)

3. COOPER:  10-2 (Last week #3) (Maher Ranking #7)

- As you can see Maher and I don’t see eye to eye on this one.  Maher really downplays the Strength of Schedule for Cooper which I ironically TOTALLY agree with.  With that being said they keep winning and they have 2 Top 10 wins in my rankings against Simon Kenton and NCC.  We will see how their next 6 games go since 3 out of the next 6 are against Top 10 teams.

• 1 game this week (Boone County), I highly doubt Boone will be a challenge so Cooper gets to hang out in the Top part of the rankings for another week.

4. DIXIE:  5-4-1 (Last week #6) (Maher Ranking #3)

- I moved Dixie back up into the Top 5 with the convincing wins against NCC and Villa.  Nice come back week from the prior week!

• 2 games this week (St Henry & West Jessamine), looking forward to a road game at West Jessamine to see how they do against another tough opponent.  

5. RYLE:  4-2-2 (Last week #5) (Maher Ranking #8)

- They really shot themselves in the foot tying St Henry this past week, I was already penciling themselves to move up a spot.  

• 2 games this week (Conner & Beechwood), lets see some really good soccer in these 2 games and if Dixie stumbles they could potentially be on the move.

6. CAMPBELL COUNTY:  7-3-1 (Last week #7) (Maher Ranking #5)

- They had 2 convincing victories against Scott and Harrison before ending the week with a lose to #2 Highlands.

• 2 games this week (Holy Cross & Montgomery County)

7. CONNER: 4-4-4 (Last week #8) (Maher Ranking #6)

- A tale of 2 games, crush poor Boone 10-0 and then get crushed by CCD 6-0….what a week

• 2 games this week (Ryle & NDA), they might have the toughest schedule this week….can they make it respectable?

8. NCC: 5-3-1 (Last week #4) (Maher Ranking #9)

- Here is the biggest loser for the week, tumbling a lot.  I realize their 2 loses came from #4 Dixie and #2 Highlands but they just didn’t pass the eye test to be a Top 5 team.  Maher ironically agrees.

• 3 games this week (Brossart, CCD & Frederick Douglass). If they think the drop was to harsh they have 3 games to prove us wrong.

9. SIMON KENTON: 3-4-1 (Last week #9) (Maher Ranking #4)

- I guess Maher is putting all their eggs in the Victory against a riddled Dixie team at the time. 

• 2 games this week (NDA & Scott), I predict 2 blowout games for SK, 1 they lose and 1 they win….you decide which one will be which.

10. BEECHWOOD:  5-3-1 (Last week #10) (Maher Ranking NR)

- They had a really nice week last week knocking off Brossart and Holy Cross, unfortunately those 2 are both not in the Top 10 so no movement necessary for them.

• 2 games this week (Holmes & Ryle), Ryle will be a great game and could be the signature win the Tigers are looking to put on their resume.

No games tonight and then a full slate on Wednesday.

• Like 2

Another fantastic night for some soccer.  All Top 10 teams are in action tonight except my Birds (have to wait till tomorrow for them).  All the NKY teams get to save on gas money tonight we are all playing in the 3 NKY counties!  I am thinking we have some really good games to look forward too with some teams that are “first 4 out” trying to play themselves into the Top 10, which are Boone, Holy Cross, Brossart and St Henry.  Tonight is their night to make a statement, will they do it?

Here is the menu:

#1 NDA @ #9 Simon Kenton, 7:30pm:  I don’t see this being much of a game.  I will be interested to see how much Suli runs up the score with having close relationships with the SK coaching staff.  Will he have mercy?

#3 Cooper @ Boone, 7:30pm:  Cooper better take care of business against Boone

#4 Dixie @ St. Henry, 8pm:  St Henry has tied #5 Ryle, #7 Conner, Can they get that win they need?

#5 Ryle @ #7 Conner, 7:30pm:  Here are 2 teams that need a rebound from their last game. Ryle tied St Henry and Conner got smoked by CCD.  Who is coming out on top?

Holy Cross @ #6 Campbell County, 7:30pm:  I see Campbell County bouncing back after the lose against Highlands and doing well against Holy Cross

#8 NCC @ Brossart, 7:30pm:  This is my Top 10 upset game of the night.  Brossart has won 4 out of their last 5, only lose was a close 2-1 lose against Beechwood.

Holmes @ #10 Beechwood, 8pm:  Beechwood wins comfortable in this one.  They will pile it on and not going to be surprise if this is a 10-0 game at the end of the night.

Good luck to all the NKY teams, enjoy a nice night.

• Like 3

From the Sports Desk:

We had some really good games in the NKY!  

#1 NDA defeats #9 Simon Kenton, 3-1

• A couple things come to mind.  How did SK keep this a respectable game and how did SK score a goal.  Hopefully @Big Red joins us later to debrief.  The crazy thing is this close of a score probably won’t hurt SK’s Maher Ranking.

#3 Cooper defeats Boone Co, 10-0

• 2 players in Maleah Alexander and Peyton Jones recorded Hat Tricks.  

#4 Dixie defeats St Henry, 4-0

• Ashtyn Ivey records a Hat Trick for the Lady Colonels.  Looks like Dixie might have gotten their form back.  3 straight strong wins!

#7 Conner goes until the late night hours to FINALLY knock off #5 Ryle, 2-1 (8-7pks)

• This game had me on the edge of my seat all night.  I had a feeling that this was going to be a knock down drag out fight and it lived up to that.  The game ended regulation with a 1-1 tie.  Something that I was NOT aware of is that District games MUST end with a winner so District games go to 2 Overtime periods and if that doesn’t do it then PKs.  In this one it took even more PKs than normal with Conner finally converting an 8th PK and stopping Ryle with theirs.  WOW WOW WOW!

#6 Campbell County beats Holy Cross, 2-1

• Looks like Ruby Dunleavy was the offense scoring both the Camels go.  I’ll yield to @rjal first eye account that the 2nd Ruby goal was based on a controversial call.

NR Bishop Brossart UPSETS #8 NCC, 4-1

• Did I call it?  Not even a close game.  Watching NCC last week I just wasn’t impressed.  They better figure something out fast b/c their next few games are going to be tough….slide might continue.

#10 Beechwood crushes Holmes, 12-0

• Another Spurrier win by the Beechwood Tigers against a winless Holmes team.

What a fun night!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

From the Sports Desk:

We had some really good games in the NKY!  

#1 NDA defeats #9 Simon Kenton, 3-1

• A couple things come to mind.  How did SK keep this a respectable game and how did SK score a goal.  Hopefully @Big Red joins us later to debrief.  The crazy thing is this close of a score probably won’t hurt SK’s Maher Ranking.

#3 Cooper defeats Boone Co, 10-0

• 2 players in Maleah Alexander and Peyton Jones recorded Hat Tricks.  

#4 Dixie defeats St Henry, 4-0

• Ashtyn Ivey records a Hat Trick for the Lady Colonels.  Looks like Dixie might have gotten their form back.  3 straight strong wins!

#7 Conner goes until the late night hours to FINALLY knock off #5 Ryle, 2-1 (8-7pks)

• This game had me on the edge of my seat all night.  I had a feeling that this was going to be a knock down drag out fight and it lived up to that.  The game ended regulation with a 1-1 tie.  Something that I was NOT aware of is that District games MUST end with a winner so District games go to 2 Overtime periods and if that doesn’t do it then PKs.  In this one it took even more PKs than normal with Conner finally converting an 8th PK and stopping Ryle with theirs.  WOW WOW WOW!

#6 Campbell County beats Holy Cross, 2-1

• Looks like Ruby Dunleavy was the offense scoring both the Camels go.  I’ll yield to @rjal first eye account that the 2nd Ruby goal was based on a controversial call.

NR Bishop Brossart UPSETS #8 NCC, 4-1

• Did I call it?  Not even a close game.  Watching NCC last week I just wasn’t impressed.  They better figure something out fast b/c their next few games are going to be tough….slide might continue.

#10 Beechwood crushes Holmes, 12-0

• Another Spurrier win by the Beechwood Tigers against a winless Holmes team.

What a fun night!  

Ruby definitely played well.  There was a nice pregame ceremony congratulating her on the Campbell county scoring record.  The second goal came on an indirect kick on the edge of the box after the HC goalie was called for picking up a pass.  On the play in question there were probably at least half a dozen players in the box with CC trying to put it in and HC trying to clear.  I just saw the ball ricochet off a couple of players and the goalie dive for it.  Both teams ran down the field like a standard play with the goalie set up to punt and then the center  ref blew the whistle and called the goalie for picking up a pass.  A parent said CC kicked it off a HC defender into the goalie.  A player confirmed that version. It happens, just tough to have such a good game decided that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SK "kept it close" vs. NDA the same way that Ryle and Beechwood did.  They packed it in on defense, committed to playing a defensive game, let their goalie make a lot of saves vs. longer shots, and try for an occasional run out counter attack.  I haven't seen SK do this before.  It does keep things close, and this style clearly frustrates the Panda attack.   

SK's goal was a legit good goal on a counter run out.  On the play they got one good shot off that was saved, but a SK player on opposite side made a nice quick pass right back for another quick shot that went in.  Give them credit for good play and executing their strategy.

It may have been the only 2 shots that SK took all night.  I may have missed one or 2.  Again, similar to Ryle and Beechwood, the game was played ~90% on Panda offensive side.   The shots on goal were a lot to very few (I don't think any vs. Ryle, Beechwood).  As you can imagine, if SK keeps game goalie stats, it was a night where their goalie would definitely threaten a single game record for saves (some very good, others easy, but A LOT).

I think Spivey had a laser goal from ~30-40 yards out.  She may have hit the other bomb as well, that probably was intended as a long pass into the box, but in this style of play it's a scrum in the box and the ball one hopped (or deflected) into the goal.  The third goal was a great cross from the end line that Simkonis made a good play to finish.  Obviously not the best game NDA has played this year, but was good to see a few players back that had been out for a bit.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Big Red said:

SK "kept it close" vs. NDA the same way that Ryle and Beechwood did.  They packed it in on defense, committed to playing a defensive game, let their goalie make a lot of saves vs. longer shots, and try for an occasional run out counter attack.  I haven't seen SK do this before.  It does keep things close, and this style clearly frustrates the Panda attack.   

SK's goal was a legit good goal on a counter run out.  On the play they got one good shot off that was saved, but a SK player on opposite side made a nice quick pass right back for another quick shot that went in.  Give them credit for good play and executing their strategy.

It may have been the only 2 shots that SK took all night.  I may have missed one or 2.  Again, similar to Ryle and Beechwood, the game was played ~90% on Panda offensive side.   The shots on goal were a lot to very few (I don't think any vs. Ryle, Beechwood).  As you can imagine, if SK keeps game goalie stats, it was a night where their goalie would definitely threaten a single game record for saves (some very good, others easy, but A LOT).

I think Spivey had a laser goal from ~30-40 yards out.  She may have hit the other bomb as well, that probably was intended as a long pass into the box, but in this style of play it's a scrum in the box and the ball one hopped (or deflected) into the goal.  The third goal was a great cross from the end line that Simkonis made a good play to finish.  Obviously not the best game NDA has played this year, but was good to see a few players back that had been out for a bit.

Always a great write up @Big Red!  Thanks for the synopsis.

I did some research last night on the KHSAA Scoreboard and went all the way back to 2001 and can’t find a season where NDA started 11-0!  This has to be their best winning streak to start a season in history.  Now granted for MANY of those years St. Ursula was their nemesis opponent at the beginning of the season that always beat NDA.  This year they put St. Ursula at the back end of the schedule. Didn’t know if you have heard the same that this is their best start EVER.  I think the best start I saw was maybe 8-0.

We have 2 games going on tonight.  

East Central (St. Leon, IN) @ #2 Highlands, 7:30pm

• East Central for everyone that doesn’t know stands in with a record of 8-2-1.  They have scored 50 goals so far and only given up 5.  Here’s the kicker their first game of the season was against Seton who beat them 4-3.  Now go back and do the math that they have given up 5 goals, 4 of them were from the feet of Seton.  Which will test the Highlands offense attack once again (like NDA) can they score against an Elite defense.  For what its worth as well these 2 teams ended in a 1-1 tie at the beginning of last season.

Cincinnati Country Day @ #8 NCC, 6:30pm

• If the same CCD team shows up that crushed Conner last week 6-0 and with NCC spiraling downward this might get out of hand quickly.  NCC will have the home field advantage of playing on the plush grass of Morsher Field.  Was it mowed lately?

Good luck to these 2 NKY teams, especially my BIRDS!

5 hours ago, Big Red said:

To support Big Red’s assessment, at one point in the first half SK had a direct kick from 30-35 yards out and only put 4 players in the box with the other 6(not counting the kicker) at or behind midfield. To their credit the strategy stifled and frustrated ND for 60 minutes.

• Like 2

Recap from last night:

The Bluegrass was invaded by a team from OH and one from IN.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t protect our turf coming away with 2 losses.

CCD defeats #8 NCC, 5-1 which was predicted

East Central beat #2 Highlands, 1-0

East Central capitalized on a big foot 25 yds out.  The attacker faked left to make the defender dive in and then switched the ball to her right where she had a clean strike and nailed it into the bottom right corner of the goal that a diving Haley Parks couldn’t reach.

Most of the game was played in the middle of the field with very little offensive run attacks (from either team).  Highlands could have made it interesting in the last 15 minutes it seemed like they had corner kick after corner kick that if they could have found a receiving foot or head to put one in but rarely was the Birds the first to the ball to receive it.  

Tomorrow is once again filled with really good soccer games.  Everyone is on the pitch except for Cooper, they finally are taking a breather.  A few of our NKY teams are playing Ky teams outside of the NKY so for the sake of knowing what type of game it might be I am plugging in the statewide Maher Rankings as a tool.

Here we go:

#1 NDA @ #7 Conner, 4pm

• NDA, nuff said, nothing to see here

Eastern (Sardinia, OH) @ #2 Highlands, 6pm

• NO Clue how this team found its way onto Highlands schedule, where the heck is Sardinia anyway?  So found on MaxPreps they are 5-0, 24 Goals scored, 4 Goals against with 3 shutouts.  Nobody they have played I have ever heard of either.  Expect the unexpected I guess.

#4 Dixie (KY Maher #10) @ West Jess (KY Maher #22), Noon

• Dixie is playing really good right now and looking at what West Jess has done this season it looks to be a down year for them.

#10 Beechwood @ #5 Ryle, 6:30pm

• So we have Beechwood that is looking for their first Top 10 win this season (0-3-1).  You have Ryle who has had 2 rough close call games vs St. Henry and Conner and not coming away with a win.  I’m going with Runyon and the Home team Raiders on this one.

#6 Campbell County (KY Maher #18) @ Montgomery Co (KY Maher #56), 12:30

• Montgomery Co meet Ruby Dunleavy!  Montgomery Co barely beat the only other NKY team they have played Scott 2-1.  The career record at Campbell County will increase.

#8 NCC (KY Maher #36) @ Frederick Douglass (KY Maher #26), 1pm

• this will unfortunately make it 5 loses in a row for NCC

#9 Simon Kenton @ Scott, 2:30pm

• This is a nice game to get a lot of players in to play and get already for next weeks Lex Cath tournament. SK big.

Thank goodness these games are tomorrow in mid 80s, looks like another heat wave (90plus) is rolling in for Sun - Tue

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND Y’ALL!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Recap from last night:

The Bluegrass was invaded by a team from OH and one from IN.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t protect our turf coming away with 2 losses.

CCD defeats #8 NCC, 5-1 which was predicted

East Central beat #2 Highlands, 1-0

East Central capitalized on a big foot 25 yds out.  The attacker faked left to make the defender dive in and then switched the ball to her right where she had a clean strike and nailed it into the bottom right corner of the goal that a diving Haley Parks couldn’t reach.

Most of the game was played in the middle of the field with very little offensive run attacks (from either team).  Highlands could have made it interesting in the last 15 minutes it seemed like they had corner kick after corner kick that if they could have found a receiving foot or head to put one in but rarely was the Birds the first to the ball to receive it.  

So what is the story on Gessner?  

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

So what is the story on Gessner?  

I don’t think there is much of a story.  She is doing both club and High School soccer so when she can make the Highlands game Norris will play her for a half.  She played in the 2nd half last night.

She was absent for the NCC and Campbell County games last week.