Highlands 79 Elizabethtown 60 (Sweet 16® Championship)

If the voting for Mr. Basketball took place now, I suspect he would win.  However. I believe the voting took place before the postseason began, when fewer people around the state were very familiar with him.  Still might happen.  He is deserving.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thursdays child said:

Does anybody know which region holds the most KHSAA state titles? Congrats Highlands. 

Not sure but a good guess would be the 11th region. Both  Henry Clay and Lafayette have 6 championships. I know LexCath has won it at least twice. Madison Central once. Dunbar once. Scott County would have has had a title since entering the 11th from the 8th. I’m sure there’s several more schools with titles in the 11th. 

With Highlands title so much for the argument for the unfairness of finishing the tournament on Saturday night.

Highlands played 4 games in 3 days. They played the 8:00pm game on Friday night and the 2:00pm game on Saturday afternoon then the 8:00pm championship (3 games in 24 hours).

• Like 3

Here is what Mark Maynard the Managing Editor at Kentucky Today (former Editor at the Ashland Daily Independent) had say about the game:

HIGHLANDS CROWNED SWEET 16 CHAMP

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Perennial football powerhouse Fort Thomas Highlands High School now has a basketball championship to match the 23 football titles.

Highlands capped an impressive run in Rupp Arena with a 79-60 victory over Elizabethtown on Saturday night in the Boys State Tournament championship. The Bluebirds made a Sweet Sixteen record 38 3-pointers in winning four games in three days. It was the school’s first state title. Highlands reached the finals in 1997.

Highlands defeated Ashland 66-50 to reach the finals on Saturday afternoon. The Bluebirds average margin of victory was 18.25 with the closest being a 10-point win over McCracken County in the quarterfinals. The other wins were 28, 16 and 19.

MVP Sam Vinson, a Northern Kentucky University signee, collected 20 points, 14 rebounds and four assists in the win over Elizabethtown, which defeated Louisville Ballard in the semifinals. Vinson averaged 23.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.5 blocks in the tournament.

Highlands was 10-for-28 on treys in the championship game.

The game was never close with Highlands building a 47-26 lead at the half.

• Like 1

NKY the past decade.

2013 Holmes, Elite 8

2014 Covington Catholic, State Champs

2015 Covington Catholic, Final 4

2016 Newport Central Catholic, Final 4

2017 Scott, Final 4 & Cooper, Runner Up

2018 Covington Catholic, State Champs & Campbell County, Elite 8

2019 Campbell County, Final 4 & Walton-Verona Elite 8

2021 Highlands, State Champs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1