Ravens 38 Bengals 3

36 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Agree, Mike doesn’t like to pay people that aren’t working. 

I don't think it is all about money. The penny pincher take is old and tired. He pays his players. He is paying AJ Green $18 million this year. He just paid Joe Mixon. He paid Gino and Dunlap. He has given many big contracts to the players he has drafted. I think Mike is a loyal person and patient to a fault. He wants the people he hires to work it out and find success. That is more the issue with letting the head coach go than the money. That and poor judgment. Poor judgment on talent may be the biggest problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't think it is all about money. The penny pincher take is old and tired. He pays his players. He is paying AJ Green $18 million this year. He just paid Joe Mixon. He paid Gino and Dunlap. He has given many big contracts to the players he has drafted. I think Mike is a loyal person and patient to a fault. He wants the people he hires to work it out and find success. That is more the issue with letting the head coach go than the money. That and poor judgment. Poor judgment on talent may be the biggest problem.

Brown only pays his players because he is required to spend 89% of the cap this year.  The best financial thing that ever happened to the Bengals was Carson Palmer's holdout/trade demand.  He didn't have to pay Palmer but that still counted towards his cap requirement.  He cuts corners everywhere else.  Coaching staff, scouts, facilities etc...  It is laughable that several Ohio high schools have indoor practice facilities and the Bengals don't.  He's playing in a Major League with Minor League infrastructure.  

He gets his 1/32 cut of the shared revenue so why spend more?  Sellout crowds could make some more $$ but in the big scheme of things, it doesn't make much difference.  Last year was the lowest season attendance since 1993 but they still had $49 million in gate receipts.  That's only $6 million less than their best year.  The difference between Zac Taylor's salary and the average NFL Coach's salary makes up that loss in gate receipts.  Last year the Bengals received $296 million in revenue share.  Salary cap was $188 million.  2019 operating expense was 60 million.  Thats about $50 million in profit in one of the worst years the Bengals have ever had.  

Well that game sure was ugly. I know in the past, the last game of the year has some times saved people’s jobs that some thought were gone. So I wonder if this would have any impact on Taylor’s future with how bad it was. It probably won’t, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did make them discuss it some. 

Honestly, I think the biggest reason why the Bengals may keep Taylor, is because if they keep him. They may get to coach the senior bowl again. The four teams with worst records than them, all have or about to fire their HC. Which would put the Bengals and Eagles staff as the staffs that would most likely coach the senior bowl.